Teacher jams students

If they take your stuff, that's thievery. Doesn't matter if the student is being disruptive or not.

you lose some rights when you enter school, its not illegal, they have to give it back, the lenght depends on the schools sop. Sometimes its end of the day sometimes its the semester or till someone picks it up. Few teachers do it, agreed its much better just to ask for it to be put away. I have been kicked out of classes for all kinds of things, phone going off is one of them, im not going to miss a call from iraq or Afghanistan, my dad or friends deserve better, with that being said if i told a teacher i may get a call someday, they have been 100% ok with it.

Personally, I don't see why schools haven't caught on to the fact that you no longer need a teacher to teach the class, when you could have an app on all phones (or tablets) and have teachers teach via that.

Seriously, the students would be far more likely to pay attention to it lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

you lose some rights when you enter school, its not illegal, they have to give it back

Yes, I know they can take it if they give it back, but you can't steal from someone - that's the impression I got in the post I quoted. Students were getting their stuff stolen by teachers for being disruptive.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Personally, I don't see why schools haven't caught on to the fact that you no longer need a teacher to teach the class, when you could have an app on all phones (or tablets) and have teachers teach via that.

Seriously, the students would be far more likely to pay attention to it lol

as someone that does mostly online learning, going to a class with a teacher is magnitudes ahead for me. A great teacher can change your life or make you hate a subject a little less. We lose so much context when not face to face, i could see when my students had a problem before i asked them to do any.

Yes, I know they can take it if they give it back, but you can't steal from someone - that's the impression I got in the post I quoted. Students were getting their stuff stolen by teachers for being disruptive.

now if it really is the teacher stealing thats a whole different world. Or if they didn't say anything before hand about the policy.

as someone that does mostly online learning, going to a class with a teacher is magnitudes ahead for me. A great teacher can change your life or make you hate a subject a little less. We lose some much context when not face to face, i could see when my students had a problem before i asked them to do any.

I agree, but only because of the way online schools operate.

1. TERRIBLE discussion boards (too stuffy, and not IPboards)

2. Teachers are older, as well as teaching in classroom classes so they can't focus on students.

3. Terrible technology integration all around.

I'm taking ECPI online, and to be honest....they could improve A LOT, just by relaxing some of their rules. For instance, making interesting discussion topics instead of boring ones only intended to "take attendance", which is BS in and of itself because its ONLINE SCHOOL, not in classroom school.

Seriously, I don't know WHERE schools are spending their money. One of my teachers this semester is supposed to be a security expert, and he'd never even heard of the USB exploit that came out last year.

I agree, but only because of the way online schools operate.

1. TERRIBLE discussion boards (too stuffy, and not IPboards)

2. Teachers are older, as well as teaching in classroom classes so they can't focus on students.

3. Terrible technology integration all around.

I'm taking ECPI online, and to be honest....they could improve A LOT, just by relaxing some of their rules. For instance, making interesting discussion topics instead of boring ones only intended to "take attendance", which is BS in and of itself because its ONLINE SCHOOL, not in classroom school.

couldn't agree more, honestly i make money off of online classes, i do your math homework for 100 usd a semester, normally finish within 48 hours. Is it wrong hell yeah, am i poor, yep so thats life. I like free online classes, from standford, Berkeley, my favorite being a mathematician from new south wales. But for the price online classes are a joke.

couldn't agree more, honestly i make money off of online classes, i do your math homework for 100 usd a semester, normally finish within 48 hours. Is it wrong hell yeah, am i poor, yep so thats life. I like free online classes, from standford, Berkeley, my favorite being a mathematician from new south wales. But for the price online classes are a joke.

Meh, I "cheated" my way through by using algebra calculators on my phone. I'm trying to study now that I'm actually in the PC related stuff (math.... I'm sorry but all you need to know in life is how to use a calculator. When in the hell will I need to know complex algebraic equations, and not have access to a calculator:?)

Who cares if people use their phones in class? If you wanna not pay attention and flunk life, nobody oughta force you to pay attention.

Who cares if people use their phones in class? If you wanna not pay attention and flunk life, nobody oughta force you to pay attention.

That's the point - so they don't flunk.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

That's the point - so they don't flunk.

If you have your heart set on not getting an education, that should be your business, and you're gonna pay a price for it one day.

http://www.cultofmac.com/324794/cell-jamming-gives-science-teacher-an-important-legal-lesson/

About this, I understand the law, but i believe the teacher is right. Back in 09 when i left high school, students were already to focused on the phone. Now i believe it to be far worse since better phones are more available.

p.s. LOL at Verizon having a cell tower on a school.

Good service = data overages = $$$

Meh, I "cheated" my way through by using algebra calculators on my phone. I'm trying to study now that I'm actually in the PC related stuff (math.... I'm sorry but all you need to know in life is how to use a calculator. When in the hell will I need to know complex algebraic equations, and not have access to a calculator:?)

caluculator don't do math like we do. Also try get a cal to write a real number, not going to be easy as they go on forever. We can program them great but, they still don't understand whats happening. We learned alot about math trying to program them, set theory and rational perspectives have really gained momentum with the advancement of pc's.

If you have your heart set on not getting an education, that should be your business, and you're gonna pay a price for it one day.

I don't agree with that line of thinking. The education isn't the only thing - how about stimulating the brain to continue growing and developing? Gaining the ability to utilize logic? If you have the ability to save someone and you don't, what does that make you? If you're in the line of teaching required education, I don't think at that point you truly support education.

Children shouldn't be allowed to make such decisions. They cannot comprehend the full consequences. It's also in the best interest of society to ensure that everyone is at least capable of basic reasoning and has foundational knowledge.

Just confiscate the phone...

If the student doesn't give up the phone then have a supervisor come down from the office and pick it up, if the kid still refuses then detention/OCI.

The rules most schools have about phones are bs. They shoukd not ve allow at all in school. Heck i would even say that about college. All phone do in the hands of children is distract, and sure therr are good students that will not be distracted but they are not the majority or the most disruptive

As someone who was involved in a lot of extracurriculars at school and needed a cell phone to be able to arrange rides and stuff, screw off. There are always exceptions to every generalization you can make, including this one.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Whether morally right or wrong, the teacher still broke the law.

I personally think this is one of the trillions of grey areas. If his kids legit were failing their classes and the teacher could pinpoint one of the root causes to the phone, then by all means the teacher should be just let off with a warning or something. If not, then seems overly dramatic to me.

A student distracted by his/her phone can distract other students and maybe the entire class.

If they wanted to flunk they shouldn't be in the classroom to begin with.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

At the college, when students pulled out their own phones a lot of my professors would let them continue using it as long as it didnt disrupt the class (must be completely silent). 

I asked a few of them, and they always said that it would be "their loss" for not paying attention. They also said that most of the students who did use their phones in class were not doing so well on grades lol. 

The college policy is to confiscate, but it isnt enforced. Ive seen a couple people get their phones held by the teacher for a class period, but only because it "emitted a audible noise"

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1