Stories with people who claim they know everything about PC's?

Textosterone

Are we twins? Because this is what happened to me in high school, before I was converted to the level-headed masterrace. I came in talking about my APU and how awesome it was and they all looked at me and laughed. One of them took pity on me and showed me the light... and that is how I came to LTT.

yay.

Just goes to show that even idiots not-so bright people can be redeemed. They just gotta have the right stuff in them (interest for PC's / tech in general), and then get the right education on the subject.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I Once got called to a client because an employed claimed i was "unnecessary" because he build a computer for himself and now knows everything.

since I too live dangerously i Made a bet with my boss. "If he Builds a cost effective working Auto-cad Work station he could then fire me and the "genius" can have my job". 

Well After three weeks he could get it running so i took his project, he claimed it was because of faulty motherboards(three of them at that point). Well he left an extra standoff in the middle of the case screwed in and it was shorting out the motherboards as soon as he was applying power. Newegg stopped giving him RMA requests because he kept frying motherboards.

After the 4th motherboard arrived i got it working. The whole build was taken out of his paycheck too( I guess that was part of the deal on his end if it didn't work)

He Totally failed the bet because his system was crazy expensive too. It also didn't use enterprise grade parts, instead it was mostly a enthusiast grade computer.

total LOLs Build; ( this was last year too BTW)

Xeon V3 something something Eight Core (I Think)

Corsair H100i 

NO NAME 64GB RAM Kit NON-ECC (thank god its not ECC)

Super Micro Motherboard(fried 3 of them)

Asrock Motherboard ( the cheap one i got because i couldn't RMA the others)

Corsair 1200Watt PSU

2 Nvidia Quadro K5000 FOR MAC Edition (Fucking really? is only auto-cad) (He was Trying to SLI them too)

2 Intel 750 SSDs 120GB (not even in raid)

1TB Hard drive WD Blue

Biggest Fail the Universe has ever seen

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

Hooo boy. Can o' worms.

Had a friend (I guess) back in high school. This guy would show up to LAN parties with his rig, and make wonderfully outlandish claims. Keep in mind this is the Athlon XP days.

Things he has said over the years:

1. "My pc has two AGP slots so I can run two cards." Not even possible.

2. "I use RAM spreaders so I can double my RAM in each slot." This one made us lawl.

3. "My GeForce 4 MX440 is so awesome. Look at these frames. It's faster than an X850 XT." He says. Playing Doom 3 on ultra low with no shading.

This guy was a fountain of entertainment.

3dfx's voodoo 2 and 5 cards had SLI so he would have been able to go two cards though you actually need like a bridge card to go into your single AGP slot and all of that

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

3dfx's voodoo 2 and 5 cards had SLI so he would have been able to go two cards though you actually need like a bridge card to go into your single AGP slot and all of that

This was long after that. And I mean he was telling us he had two physical agp slots which is architecturally impossible. When we looked in his case and pointed out we couldn't see it?

"Its hidden."

Wa wa.

Also. Voodoo 2 was PCI. And Voodoo 5 was multiple chips on one board.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Here is a site with a heap of stories. Enjoy the read! :D

(Site looks sketchy, but it's legit)

http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/

Example of a short story:

Once I got a call about a noisy keyboard. I went over, and, sure enough, every time I pressed a key, I heard a crackling noise. I pulled the keyboard apart, and imagine my surprise when 40 (yes, I counted them) paper clips fell out over the desk.

Seems that every time a crumb of whatever she was eating fell into the keyboard, she would try to clean it out with a paper clip, mostly losing the clip into the keyboard too.

Me-Your existence is invalid, quit while you're behind 

That was beautiful... *tears begin to fall*

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

• 2 weeks later...

I think I literally lost brain cells from reading this thread. I don't understand how people can be so blind to their own stupidity.

Silverstone ML08  ||  Intel i5-6600  ||  Gigabyte HD 7950 @ Stock  ||  Corsair 2x4GB DDR4 2133MHz  ||  Gigabyte H170-N WIFI  ||  Samsung 840 Pro 128GB  ||  WD Caviar Black 1TB  ||  MSX 64-bit