Stories with people who claim they know everything about PC's?

Textosterone

-snip-

EDIT: His current build is a AMD-8350 and a GTX 970 in a cheap £30 case. Not sure on the other parts. Thought I'd just add this in.

if the case is adequate, and they like it, nothing wrong with it being cheap. Just saves money for better components.

Not necessarily computers, but earlier I was speaking to a T-Mobile rep about the LG G4, with me being extremely tempted in buying one. I mentioned how most reviews say the camera is one of the best, being on par or better than the Galaxy S6. He immediately "corrects" me, stating that the HTC One M9 (lel) currently holds the best camera, having a 20MP sensor vs. the G4's smaller 16MP. I bit my tounge.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

In year 9-10 I was in the I.T class at my school (I'm in year 11 now), I don't remember a day where I didn't get into an argument with my teacher about something tech related, when the Samsung note 3 came out, I got one and was telling my mate how it has 3gb of ram the teacher must have overheard and said the no phone has more than 1gb of ram and that I was lying, when I proved it to her she confiscated my phone and was pissed of with me for the rest of the day.

Another time we got to build a brand new pc from scratch, I was pretty excited since I was gonna build my own rig soon and had been watching all of Linus's build guides, we were up to putting the cpu in and we all had a look at and someone had put their grubby finger all over it and the heat spreader was all sticky and finger printy so I asked if there was some rubbing alcohol to clean it off, the teacher said it was fine and no I think we should clean it first, she cracked the shits and threw the alcohol and a cloth at me.

Another time some new kids came into the class and there was this one kid that told every one that his dad combined an Intel 4 core and an amd 4 core and made the worlds first 8 core cpu with a custom motherboard, then he sold it to the Australian police for $2000. I could stop laughing and the worst part was the teacher believed him and she was really amazed

Needless to say I couldn't cope with another year in that class and left.

PCPP http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vg96f7 CPU: Intel i7 4790K MoBo: Gigabyte Z97X S.O.C Ram: G.Skill 2x 8gb GPU: 2x AMD R9 290x in CrossFire SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster z Case: NZXT H440 RED/BLK Storage: 2x Intel 520s 120gb Raid 0 + 2tb Seagate 7200 PSU: EVGA 1000W G2 Fully Modular Display: Samsung UHD 4K 28'' KeyBoard: Corsair K65 RGB Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 7 Sound: Logitech z506 OS: Windows 10 TP

I built a list for one of my friends under a CAD budget of $800. He sent the build list to one of his friends and asked how it was. His friend replied

"It's okay... But there's one problem, it doesn't support DDR4 RAM"

His friend then went on to say that Windows 8 is garbage and that my friend needed to get Windows 7. I recommended my friend an R9 270 for the build, his friend replied

"I think this graphics card would be better, it's Nvidia (Link of some GT 740 that costs as much as the R9 270)"

I told my brother I got a new graphics card, the GTX 970. His first question: How many cores does it have?

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

One of my friends told me before I built my pc that it wouldn't work because I have an intel cpu and AMD graphics card. He thinks I put a 295x2 cooler on an Nvidia card and thats how my pc runs with no problems. He also thought 8gb would bottleneck my system and told me to get more.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

Friend said he gets 100+ FPS on crysis 3 4k with everything very high. I pissed my self laughing

Might as well say he has an r9 900 series graphics card.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

"This computer has 2 Quad-Core i7s because windows says I have 8 CPUs!"

"My HDD boots faster than your SSD, even with 1MB free!"

"This waterproof phone has worse reception because it has all the foam in it!"

"Just use molex instead of SATA" 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I went to the apple store and there was an asshole employee working there who said that no computer can use a usb stick to help it run faster, including windows. cant you make your computer faster (windows) with a usb stick?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

A friend of mine once claimed that for every monitor you'd want to connect to your pc you'd need a separate GPU(I couldn't stop laughing).

Another one was certain that you had to install games ON your ram for them to work properly, to this day he has yet to find out how to install stuff on his ram :rolleyes:

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

Oh boy, which ones to tell... being first year Uni student the whole class sits in the same area's. First one: He was telling his friend about his mate who bought a $3000 gaming pc but it needed more ram ($3000 laptop doesn't come with at least 8 gig?) and so his mate bought the ram and put it in without a static strap (Because apparently it matters) which then proceeded to break the ram, his mate then paid him to do it for him, he used the static strap and then got paid $500 for fixing it... odd this is the hardware teacher had just told us that day about when you need to wear a static start and that is basically never except if you take a screen apart or something....

This is much of a story, but it's a list of laptop specs the same guy listed as he had.

First off his desktop has a TitanX but he never touches it because Xbox One is better...

16GB ram, a GTX 780 (Not too sure how it fit...)4.5GHz 8 core i7 (Didn't give other details) and best of all, it only cost him $800 because his dads friend owns a store somewhere....

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

My friend used to play counter strike with a dude and I was in the Skype call and he said "I can't play CS with less than 300Fps or it hurts my eyes and I don't play well" so I asked why and what model of screen he has, he listed it to me a bit confused, I search it up and tell him it's 60Hz so it will only be showing 60FPS anyway... He then claimed that it was a "Gaming" edition that could do 350FPS max...  

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

one of my relatives told me that his pc had a terabyte of ram (he meant hdd but he wouldn't listen, he was extremely confident so i didn't even bother to correct him)

Details separate people.

I know it can really be difficult to hold your tongue, but when you have a teacher or friend who you find yourself always correcting, sometimes its better to just let it go. You know you are right, and they most likely won't care that you are. It's about not being a snobby asshole.

Network Administrator/Support Engineer with a desire to be creative. MCSA Server 2012 R2, A+, Network+, Project Professional certified.

GTX 980 | i7 3770K @ 4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 Ram | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | Samsung UHD 28" Monitor

First off his desktop has a TitanX but he never touches it because Xbox One is better...

He fuckin w0t m8

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

I was at lunch today in school and i was overhearing some kid (15 years old) talking about how he got a coding job at Microsoft and how they gave him confidential information about new operating systems and all that. I would like to hear your stories about people like this..

I knew someone who claimed this too, I thought he was speaking bull till I visited his home some time later and realised from the operating system that he was running that he was telling the truth, and no, it wasn't a 'skin' or anything like that - I did a thorough check. It was an early version of windows 10 well before the public beta was released (I still thought it was a skin though till the public beta was released).

But my story of a someone who 'knows' tech is this.

Apparently after I got talking to one of my friends a while back SSD's improve FPS by at least 50%, and  over clocking doesn't improve performance........ I lol'd 

I had a couple of friends at school. One is really tech savvy, the other likes to pretend that he is. The latter told the other that his 7750 beat his 660Ti.

And I went :D

Moron...

Just talk to me for 5 minutes, I make up a a ton of bullshit

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just talk to me for 5 minutes, I make up a a ton of bullshit

You have to overclock your Hard drive to get the turboboost on the RAMs and then upload the MD5# to the core Intels in order to bypass 300fps on 5k minecraft.

Pour a cup of salted water on your PC to overclockable watercool it.

I don't do signatures.

You have to overclock your Hard drive to get the turboboost on the RAMs and then upload the MD5# to the core Intels in order to bypass 300fps on 5k minecraft.

Pour a cup of salted water on your PC to overclockable watercool it.

Yeah I talk all sorts of shit, sure I reckon 90% is true but sometimes somebody will ask me something, they expect I know the answer.. so I just make up the answer. never really get caught out

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah I talk all sorts of shit, sure I reckon 90% is true but sometimes somebody will ask me something, they expect I know the answer.. so I just make up the answer. never really get caught out

Huh.... Long as it works Lol. Spouting nonsense works for politicians, after all.

I don't do signatures.

I had a friend who claimed he overclocked his internet, and it was MAD fast!!!

Did he upgrade to Gaming Dial-Up? With overclockable RGB LED internets, and ultra high pings?

I don't do signatures.

I've heard so many times people claiming they have 500 GB of RAM (or some other HDD size). And then they start convincing me that they do. 

Also 1 guy that keeps telling me that there is no difference between 480p vs 1080p (I stopped counting how many times he said it) and that his HD5550 can max every game (~2 years ago) and if he ever needs it, he'll put another one in crossfire and he's good to max everything for few ears. I suppose it's true, if he was playing on 480p.  :rolleyes:

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

For my surprise, no-one I know (except aunt) claims to know more about PCs than they actually know. They just straightly admit that they don't know a thing.

Aunt once claimed that Windows XP is miles better than Windows 7... And that more than 4GB of RAM is never needed. Yeah, right...

Admittedly, I was this kind of a person in elementary school. There was one guy who was one year older than me, and he actually knew something about tech, and I just ended up making myself look like a fool when we were talking about computers back then. But I have since grown out of those days.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Admittedly, I was this kind of a person in elementary school. There was one guy who was one year older than me, and he actually knew something about tech, and I just ended up making myself look like a fool when we were talking about computers back then. But I have since grown out of those days.

Are we twins? Because this is what happened to me in high school, before I was converted to the level-headed masterrace. I came in talking about my APU and how awesome it was and they all looked at me and laughed. One of them took pity on me and showed me the light... and that is how I came to LTT.

yay.