windows 10 worth over windows 7?

c00face

Just got this Windows 8 icon from Microsoft to download for free. Is it worth to upgrade or to keep my Windows 7?

windows 10 would be better. i recommend upgrading. its similar to 7 but seems better. plus things like your ram would be used more efficiently. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

You will be able to upgrade only at July 29. And I would go for upgrade.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

no, wait for one year and then pay for it.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I don't get why people keep asking this. Why wouldn't you? 

I don't get why people keep asking this. Why wouldn't you? 

that shit's scurry

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Heyyo,

Wrong forum section too.. this should be in Operating Systems & Software tbh.

Also, why wouldn't you take the free upgrade? Even if you don't game and won't use DirectX 12? Security updates. Since it's a newer OS it'll have a longer time period before it loses security updates (end of life as we've seen with Windows XP for example).

Going to report this thread for lock.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

You have to know how Microsoft handle it's release, good > bad > good > bad... repeat

I use 10 technical prerelease and yep it's perdy darn good.  A mix between the best of 8 and 7 imo

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.

You have to know how Microsoft handle it's release, good > bad > good > bad... repeat

Which is why they want 10 to be the last. You can't release a bad OS is you don't release an aOS at all.

Well, it really depends on how much you're going to have to cough up for Microsoft in a year. they are charging you for an OS that for all intents and purposes you already own under the guise of being "free". What the hell.

This is why piracy exists, guys.

Well, it really depends on how much you're going to have to cough up for Microsoft in a year. they are charging you for an OS that for all intents and purposes you already own under the guise of being "free". What the hell.

They're not gonna make you pay in a year.

You might as well reserve a copy - it's free, and if you decide that you don't want to upgrade, you don't have to. All reserving it will do is mean that your computer will download it for you when it releases on the 29th July so you can update easily.

No, you're not. If you update to Windows 10 within the first year (so before the 19th July 2016), you will permanently have a fully licensed copy of Windows 10 tied to your Microsoft account. It's not a 1 year free trial, it's a reduction in price (to free) for a full license.

Also, moved to OS and Software.

HTTP/2 203

They're not gonna make you pay in a year.

Are they not? I thought that -- Oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... ok.

Which is why they want 10 to be the last. You can't release a bad OS is you don't release an aOS at all.

I'm sure good old Microsoft will keep it up for tradition, but instead of "-> good os -> bad os ->" they'll do "-> good service pack -> bad service pack ->"

Just got this Windows 8 icon from Microsoft to download for free. Is it worth to upgrade or to keep my Windows 7?

Windows 10 should be an attractive upgrade over 7 provided everything goes smoothly with it's launch. It might be wise to wait a week or three after launch to make sure it does.

I'm fairly sure the opt-in thing you're talking about is just so that you'll be notified when it's available. You'll still have to start the upgrade process. They aren't going to kick you off your machine for a 3 GB OS upgrade without you at least clicking a box or two.

On a side note (maybe), I recommend setting Windows Update to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them."