20-Year-Old To Launch World’s First Ocean Cleaning System In 2016

givingtnt

shutterstock_180604859.jpg?itok=X8tGb0aJ

Source :  http://www.iflscience.com/environment/20-year-old-launch-world-s-first-ocean-cleaning-system-2016

"Taking care of the world's ocean garbage problem is one of the largest environmental challenges mankind faces today. Not only will this first cleanup array contribute to cleaner waters and coasts but it simultaneously is an essential step towards our goal of cleaning up the Great Pacific Garbage Patch,” said Slat. “This deployment will enable us to study the system's efficiency and durability over time."

The structure he has designed will float, buffered along by the oceans' currents, and snare plastics and other debris, which will then be picked up via a conveyor belt. At over 2,000 meters (6,561 feet), this debris-trapping system will be the longest floating structure in the ocean. The Ocean Cleanup plans to deploy the floating structure off the coast of Japan in early 2016, where it will be in operation for at least two years.

The project was started and is held on by a 20 years old guy.

this is really nice. I truly hope it works and they deploy more of these when its finalised and shown that it works. would be cool for a bigger company too to help them and finance more trash collecting units.

Project-2.jpg?itok=qtWi5Jrm

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

It's time like these, I think I've wasted my life. 19 and already with nothing notable to my name.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Please, if it does work, i really want it to help clean the oceans. i can't stand people who just throw random shit in the ocean, not knowing they can kill animals.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

CALIFORNIA

WE ARE HELPING YOU

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

This is going to fail harder than the abomination we know today as Google.

...Wait, no, Google is very successful. Let's see if we can say the same about this soon. :-)

CALIFORNIA

WE ARE HELPING YOU

Especially California, since we're home to some of the most beautiful beaches out there, but nobody ever bothers taking care of it. stupid.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I hope it works * Cross fingers * 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

There's a lot of rubbish floating around from the 2006 tsunami,and that's just a fraction of all the other crap floating around.

I hope this works out.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I already have a system to clean up earth, but no one follows it.

It's called Not Being a Lazy Douche Bag [name pending].

I already have a system to clean up earth, but no one follows it.

It's called Not Being a Lazy Douche Bag [name pending].

I think you are asking too much of the Douche baggest species there is(Kind of serious). But seriously, I dont think this is that simple because a big part of this sort of solution is not perpetrated by single individuals but by companies and so on. I do wish just like you that people would just gie a fuck once in a while about things as simple as keeping their trash in order to put in the trash, recycling bin or a composting bin if thats available.

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

AWESOME! Way to go, Mr. Slat! At least he's trying to make a difference, something all of us should at least half-assed be trying to do!

Be cool! DON'T FACKIN' LITTER!!!! Let's all do our part and help keep things clean!

This idea has major problems, to say the least. Aside from the fact that it will do nothing to address the sources of ocean litter, it'll likely catch and kill as much or more wildlife than it saves. Clearly not the product of logical thought.

Hopefully this project ends up being dead, aha, in the water.

This idea has major problems, to say the least. Aside from the fact that it will do nothing to address the sources of ocean litter, it'll likely catch and kill as much or more wildlife than it saves. Clearly not the product of logical thought.

Hopefully this project ends up being dead, aha, in the water.

There's a plastic mass the size of an average country floating around in the Pacific Ocean.  Over time the plastic will dissolve into smaller bits and get ingested by animals who will die as a result of it blocking their stomach. 

Either clean it up and have a number of fish and birds killed as collateral damage in the process or leave it be and let a lot more animals suffer and die a slow and agonizing death.

There's a plastic mass the size of an average country floating around in the Pacific Ocean.  Over time the plastic will dissolve into smaller bits and get ingested by animals who will die as a result of it blocking their stomach. 

Either clean it up and have a number of fish and birds killed as collateral damage in the process or leave it be and let a lot more animals suffer and die a slow and agonizing death.

I'm aware. Garbage and other buoyant debris naturally collect at the centers of all ocean gyres. Letting a net drift around out there is to this problem like putting a Band-AidTM on a gushing laceration - again, to say nothing of the environmental impact of the net itself. The only impactful long-term solution is to deal with the underlying problem.