Will Nintendo’s NX Adopt Android? Company Says ‘No’

qwertywarrior

Nintendo Co. shot down a report that said it was planning on using the Android operating system to run its top secret next-generation console, which has been codenamed “NX.”

“There is no truth to the report saying that we are planning to adopt Android for NX,” a Nintendo spokesman said.

The spokesman was responding to a report in Japanese business daily the Nikkei that said Nintendo would use the Google-developed open source operating system in the console, citing people with knowledge of what’s going on at the Kyoto-based company’s headquarters.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06/02/will-nintendos-nx-adopt-android-company-says-no/

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

it would surprise me if nintendo would adopt android for their next console, seeing the success of other android based consoles *cough*

I wonder how much time has Nintendo left.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Yeah, it would have been pretty weird if they did do it.

No idea why people went ape shit yesterday

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

it would surprise me if nintendo would adopt android for their next console, seeing the success of other android based consoles *cough*

ooo ya. the terrible puns are real.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I wonder how much time has Nintendo left.

At the very least 37 years if they have a 257 million USD loss every year.

And after that they can still sell stuff like their patents and such.

I hate when people say stuff like you do ..

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Nintendo finally didn't do something stupid. In my opinion, Nintendo is the EA of Japan. Stupid youtube policy, underpowered console. Nintendo should probably just split into hardware and software companies. Their actual games are great, but their stupid policy and hardware make that irrelevant. Android would just allow for their games to be emulated, which is great for consumers but would completely devastate their sales.

Edit: removed incorrect facts

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

At the very least 37 years if they have a 257 million USD loss every year.

And after that they can still sell stuff like their patents and such.

I hate when people say stuff like you do ..

Why, does it hurt your feelings? I'm only wondering, for all I know could be 100 years. By the way, you made those assumptions based on what they are losing currently? Nintendo are big guys, I'm pretty sure that they'll know if the moment comes and they'll probably go sell patents or as third party developers. Nintendo as a whole I doubt it will ever go. My post was more about Nintendo as a console maker(which is pretty much what this thread is about).

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Why, does it hurt your feelings? I'm only wondering, for all I know could be 100 years. By the way, you made those assumptions based on what they are losing currently? Nintendo are big guys, I'm pretty sure that they'll know if the moment comes and they'll probably go sell patents or as third party developers. Nintendo as a whole I doubt it will ever go. My post was more about Nintendo as a console maker(which is pretty much what this thread is about).

It doesn't hurt my feeling, not sure why you assumed that...

It doesn't hurt my feeling, not sure why you assumed that...

To be honest, because your post looked to me like a Nintendo fanboy, but nevermind that, maybe you aren't I and assumed wrong. My bad, no hard feelings? :)

To be honest, because your post looked to me like a Nintendo fanboy, but nevermind that, maybe you aren't I and assumed wrong. My bad, no hard feelings? :)

No hard feelings, I am not mad. But I am just a Nintendo fan (not a fanboy) and I hate when people try to act like they know everything Nintendo is doing and assuming this or that will happen because this generation of consoles.

If you look back in the history, you will see Nintendo did well (or not as well) because they are trying something different. Risk and reward is what that is called.

The Wii was something very new, so they took a huge risk with it. But it did pay out. Same with the DS.

Those 2 things  together just printed money for Nintendo. The Wii U is not doing that well in terms of sales and stuff, but it's still a cool and interesting console. The 3DS however, is doing very well, so that does help a ton.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=nintendo%202052%20250%20million&es_th=1

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I'm sorry but Nintendo are completely irrelevant now, who actually bought a Wii U

Nintendo finally didn't do something stupid. In my opinion, Nintendo is the EA of Japan. Stupid youtube policy, underpowered console, no major new games for their current console in 6 MONTHS. Nintendo should probably just split into hardware and software companies. Their actual games are great, but their stupid policy and hardware make that irrelevant. Android would just allow for their games to be emulated, which is great for consumers but would completely devastate their sales.

Cough - Splatoon

I'm sorry but Nintendo are completely irrelevant now, who actually bought a Wii U

Everybody who bought a Wii U bought it only for playing Nintendo's blockbuster games, and nothing else. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

No hard feelings, I am not mad. But I am just a Nintendo fan (not a fanboy) and I hate when people try to act like they know everything Nintendo is doing and assuming this or that will happen because this generation of consoles.

If you look back in the history, you will see Nintendo did well (or not as well) because they are trying something different. Risk and reward is what that is called.

The Wii was something very new, so they took a huge risk with it. But it did pay out. Same with the DS.

Those 2 things  together just printed money for Nintendo. The Wii U is not doing that well in terms of sales and stuff, but it's still a cool and interesting console. The 3DS however, is doing very well, so that does help a ton.

"I hate when people try to act like they know everything Nintendo is doing and assuming this or that will happen because this generation of consoles." - This right here is what a lot of people call defending a company name or fanboyism, however I will not call you that, just trying to state that clear. 

As a person that has owned every Nintendo console since the NES(except Virtual Boy and WiiU) myself, I like to talk about it with reality on check., so l like to keep the "fan" part out of these type of conversations. The truth is, that Nintendo has endured a lot more, not just with the WiiU. Both GameCube and N64 consoles had its good and hard times as well. However this time around Nintendo is falling behind, and it's not about the money. It's how this new generation works, the way Nintendo acted last year about YouTube and everything they've been doing is like they're still living in the 90's(which obviously they know they are not). This is more than money or getting behind in sales, is how the image of the company is viewed by the new audience/gamers. 

Nintendo will either keep throwing new "risky" consoles at us each year with their "ridiculously" amount of money that can last "100 years" or they'll evolve into something else.

It would have been better if you quoted my other post where I actually asked that, but thanks for that. ;)

"Nintendo are completely irrelevant now" 

It's not like they only make Wii U's. They also have their 3DS line, which is doing pretty well  <_<

-snip-

Well I think fanboy means someone who can't see the bad in something like, AKA: they can't criticize their favorite game or company or something.

I was not sure how well you were familiar with the Nintendo consoles, but yeah the N64 and GameCube era were a bad console era for Nintendo. But they were pretty amazing handheld era's for them.

And yeah, what they are and did do with all the YouTube/Twitch stuff was pretty annoying..

Nintendo should just stop with the weirder hardware, so 3rd parties would actually bring out all their games on Nintendo systems. That is pretty much the thing that is killing Nintendo consoles over the years.

It was with the N64 (they stuck with cartridges instead of going CD's, so Final Fantasy went to Playstation), with the GameCube they chose a proprietary disc format which had less capacity than DVD's, with the Wii and Wii U they brought out weak hardware with gimmicky controllers.

And all these 4 consoles had weak support from 3rd party developers, making people think (justifiably so) Nintendo consoles are weak Mario Kart/Super Smash Bros./Zelda boxes.

_snip_

Fair enough, I agree. :)

Nintendo finally didn't do something stupid. In my opinion, Nintendo is the EA of Japan. Stupid youtube policy, underpowered console, no major new games for their current console in 6 MONTHS. Nintendo should probably just split into hardware and software companies. Their actual games are great, but their stupid policy and hardware make that irrelevant. Android would just allow for their games to be emulated, which is great for consumers but would completely devastate their sales.

Splatoon just came out. Why does not releasing a major game in 6 months not bother you for other consoles, but it does for Nintendo?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Cough - Splatoon

Everybody who bought a Wii U bought it only for playing Nintendo's blockbuster games, and nothing else. 

You're right, even some of their games have flaws. Splatoon was ruined, among many other things, for lack of voice chat because the lead developer was butthurt after he was insulted over voice chat. I have a friend group that is uninformed and once I started talking about all Nintendo's crap they agreed with me, but they were pretty uncomfortable about it. They don't want to know the truth, they just want to play Smash without feeling like the company they are supporting is a complete idiot. When I asked them what they wanted the NX to be like, they didn't care, because they know they'll buy it anyways.  At least when the XBONE was announced, prospective buyers made it clear they didn't want an always online console, and Microsoft complied. Nintendo's user base is too complacent to do that. It frustrates me to no end how stupid Nintendo is. It's not even too late to save themselves from complete irrelevance - they still have plenty of great IP, but they use it sooooo stupidly.

I want to see Nintendo do good just as much as the next guy, but currently all they deserve from me is criticism. My best complement for Nintendo is that they are very effective at milking money out of their customer base. (new 3DS anyone? How about plastic figures with CPU characters in them, where we manipulate the market so certain ones sell for many times their actual price?)

Edit: removed pointless hating

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Splatoon just came out. Why does not releasing a major game in 6 months not bother you for other consoles, but it does for Nintendo?

I didn't realize Splatoon was actually out. Sorry. 

Edit: removed incorrect facts

I didn't realize Splatoon was actually out. Sorry. But it was still a 6 month game drought.

There was new mario kart 8 and smash bros dlc in that period. Other consoles had a worse drought, and it doesn't seem to bother you.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I didn't realize Splatoon was actually out. Sorry. But it was still a 6 month game drought.

You're acting like they're purposefully not making enough games. Do you think that they just press a few buttons and a game comes out of nowhere?

So, knowing nintendo's particular brand of insanity, NX will end up being the Wii-V?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So, knowing nintendo's particular brand of insanity, NX will end up being the Wii-V?

Nahh, it will be called the Wii-P. I really think they missed the oppourtunity with the Wii U logo. It should have been something like this:

Wü with the U being capatilized and the dots be above the top of the U, then again the Wii logo has a lot of brand recognition.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500