Bye AMD?

FairladyZ

I've heard a ton of rumors stating that Samsung or another company is going to acquire AMD. I think that this year will be make or break for AMD, if they rebadge the 7000 series again, that will spark some hate. Also, if they continue to let the FX series processors and the Phenom processors age and age, then AMD, in my opinion, is going to kick the bucket. Even myself, a dedicated AMD "fanboy", am considering buying the 980 Ti instead of the "390X"... But if Samsung acquires AMD, they could rebadge the Exynos CPUs to AMD, and maybe even work on new GPUs or something. But AMD is a huge company, and acquiring them would probably cost a ton of money, but seeing as Samsung is swimming in the cash, they could do it, but I don't think they would be ready to invest into trying to save a failing company. If no one acquires AMD, and they go down, what will Nvidia do? They won't have to try as hard to beat team red, since there won't really be any competition... But if AMD goes down, maybe Quallcomm could make desktop CPUs and desktop/mobile graphics...

FairladyZ | If you want to reply to me, please quote my post! Idiocity, the best money wasting PC build ever!

If NVIDIA is the only desktop/mobile discrete graphics company left, that affects NVIDIA in a negative way - some areas do not allow for monopoly and therefore, NVIDIA would not be able to sell their products in those areas.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

AMD's life is depending on just how well their new card launches go. They can stay afloat with their Workstation GPUs, but their consumer GPU market will die if this launch bombs, and their CPU market will be dead if their new chips do not live up to expectations. AMD's life is in the hands of these new GPUs, and their new CPUs. (In the consumer market, I mean.)

AMD's life is depending on just how well their new card launches go. They can stay afloat with their Workstation GPUs, but their consumer GPU market will die if this launch bombs, and their CPU market will be dead if their new chips do not live up to expectations. AMD's life is in the hands of these new GPUs, and their new CPUs. (In the consumer market, I mean.)

Perfectly said. 300 series will tell us

My article on subscription based services and why they are the way forward http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382625-what-the-future-holds/

I think Intel and Nvidia would pump them with money (Intel's already doing something like this?) to keep them from going bankrupt.

If they close, Intel and Nvidia will become monopolies, and thus be forced to sell parts of their companies.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I think Intel and Nvidia would pump them with money (Intel's already doing something like this?) to keep them from going bankrupt.

No one pumps eachother money but no patent lawsuits for eachothers IP is where they are at and that saves hundreds of million a year and don't hold back progression.

If they close, Intel and Nvidia will become monopolies, and thus be forced to sell parts of their companies.

Not  at all. sorry but learn what a monopoly is first. You only have to sell (forced by government in the USA) when you deny others to use your patents for a reasonable fee and keep all your technology to your self. You can't own the whole market. There is Qualcomm, snap dragon, Intel, ETC there are so many company's the CPU business.

You can be the only business in the field if you are fair with patents and not get shutdown for a monopoly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly#Law

People seem to think having a monopoly is illegal:

Competition law does not make merely having a monopoly illegal, but rather abusing the power a monopoly may confer, for instance through exclusionary practices (i.e. pricing high just because you are the only one around.) It may also be noted that it is illegal to try to obtain a monopoly, by practices of buying out the competition, or equal practices.

Watch what the company does with it's position rather than concentrate on it's position. 

AMD won't go bust this year, At least I don't think it will.  They have been precariously balanced for about 6 years now and have managed to avoid the bankruptcy scythe thus far.

I think there are lots of people looking at AMD as a possible purchase,  companies like IBM, Qualcomm and maybe even realtek would have at least thought about it given they have something to gain from AMD's IP.  But at the end of the day it's all speculation, these companies are keeping their moves close to their chest so Anyone's guess is as good as the next.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Qualcomm has shown to be fair a fair competitor in its own right, granted they have stayed to just the tablet/phone arenas but I think they could push into the PC CPU market in short order if they chose to.

Shoot when Nvidia started they had a hard time competing against AMD, Intel and 3dFx (which was king hands down at the time) until NVidia bought up 3dFx and was able to integrate the chip architecture into their design and came out with their GeForce line we now know.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Watch what the company does with it's position rather than concentrate on it's position. 

AMD won't go bust this year, At least I don't think it will.  They have been precariously balanced for about 6 years now and have managed to avoid the bankruptcy scythe thus far.

I think there are lots of people looking at AMD as a possible purchase,  companies like IBM, Qualcomm and maybe even realtek would have at least thought about it given they have something to gain from AMD's IP.  But at the end of the day it's all speculation, these companies are keeping their moves close to their chest so Anyone's guess is as good as the

AMD wont go bust for many many many years. The reason. is x64 owned by intel (32 bit computing) while amd owns x86 (64 bit computing) and everyone gets royalties from every phone, tablet, laptop, desktop. Thats HUGE money. And considering every computer tablet and phone is going 64bit that means AMD gets a portion of that money.

AMD is far from falling. they still have a plentiful reserve of income. They will be fine for a while., No one (including Intel and Nvidia) want them to fail.

AMD wont go bust for many many many years. The reason. is x64 owned by intel (32 bit computing) while amd owns x86 (64 bit computing) and everyone gets royalties from every phone, tablet, laptop, desktop. Thats HUGE money. And considering every computer tablet and phone is going 64bit that means AMD gets a portion of that money.

AMD is far from falling. they still have a plentiful reserve of income. They will be fine for a while., No one (including Intel and Nvidia) want them to fail.

I think you have that the wrong way around buddy.

x64 is 64bit and x86 is 32...

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

The reason. is x64 owned by intel (32 bit computing) while amd owns x86 (64 bit computing).

x64 is 64 bit while x86 is referred to as 32 bit.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

x64 is 64 bit while x86 is referred to as 32 bit.

Reverse my quote than it makes perfect sense.

If NVIDIA is the only desktop/mobile discrete graphics company left, that affects NVIDIA in a negative way - some areas do not allow for monopoly and therefore, NVIDIA would not be able to sell their products in those areas.

That's not how it works.

Reverse my quote than it makes perfect sense.

Its ok a lot of people get this switched around.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

That's not how it works.

A monopoly (from Greek monos μόνος (alone or single) + polein πωλεῖν (to sell)) exists when a specific person or enterprise is the only supplier of a particular commodity (this contrasts with a monopsony which relates to a single entity's control of a market to purchase a good or service, and with oligopoly which consists of a few entities dominating an industry).[2] Monopolies are thus characterized by a lack of economic competition to produce the good or service, a lack of viable substitute goods, and the existence of a high monopoly price well above the firm's marginal cost that leads to a high monopoly profit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly

I think there are lots of people looking at AMD as a possible purchase,  companies like IBM, Qualcomm and maybe even realtek would have at least thought about it given they have something to gain from AMD's IP.  But at the end of the day it's all speculation, these companies are keeping their moves close to their chest so Anyone's guess is as good as the next.

You are quite correct on this point. Look at what they tried to do to Microsoft for having a supposed monopoly in the OS world even tho linux, ubuntu, apple, IBM and what ever other  OS existed out there. Illegal monopoly is only if the competition is forced out business not if the other guy happens to just fail on its own, there are other companies that have monopolies but not because they prefer it that way but because others could not compete or there just isn't another company that wants to compete.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Neh, not in a hundred years. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

No one pumps eachother money but no patent lawsuits for eachothers IP is where they are at and that saves hundreds of million a year and don't hold back progression.

Not  at all. sorry but learn what a monopoly is first. You only have to sell (forced by government in the USA) when you deny others to use your patents for a reasonable fee and keep all your technology to your self. You can't own the whole market. There is Qualcomm, snap dragon, Intel, ETC there are so many company's the CPU business.

You can be the only business in the field if you are fair with patents and not get shutdown for a monopoly.

not necisarily. see the merger between TWC and comscast, they dont really have patents, they would just be monopolies in many areas, and as such the FCC didnt let it go through

AMD is FAAAAAR from going under. It is often made known, where a company is NOT doing well and often kept quiet, where a company IS doing well. AMD has a much broader market than just desktop enthusiast CPUs and GPUs. It's easy for us to be narrow-minded about this, but you have to look at the whole picture.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I don't think this is goodbye for AMD. They will do fine.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Samsung phones with GCN driven GPU's, that'd be nice...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

AMD is not gonna go bankrupt unless the 300 series fail and they do more blunders in 2016...

Also they still wont the console war! :D

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro