Republicans want to kill the FCC's plan to subsidize internet for the poor

You completely missed the reasoning behind the article didn't you?

Just another person that can only look surface deep because of the misinformation that their party gives them. Poor people are poor because the system perpetuates it, not because they choose to stay that way. 

Oh I got me a live one! Alright...lets go bud. Firstly, No, some people DO choose to live that way. The Democrats hold them down with free stuff instead of bringing them up and trying to get them to go to work. They give them free stuff so they will vote for the Democratic party. Since these people are given free stuff, there attitude is somewhere around the lines of "Why should I have to work if I'm given free stuff?" They're just satisfied on living on the governments crumbs. 

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

Well then you can hardly complain about a lack of experience lol

You are making no money right now anyways. At least with an internship you would be getting experience and a foot in the door. 

I probably should have asked, how will I get to said internship? I live at least 30 miles from the nearest McDonalds, and there's no way in hell my parents are going to drive that far, to take me to work somewhere for free.

Oh I got me a live one! Alright...lets go bud. Firstly, No, some people DO choose to live that way. The Democrats hold them down with free stuff instead of bringing them up and trying to get them to go to work. They give them free stuff so they will vote for the Democratic party. Since these people are given free stuff, there attitude is somewhere around the lines of "Why should I have to work if I'm given free stuff?" They're just satisfied on living on the governments crumbs. 

Very true, which is why we need measures to force people off of welfare, or to force them to take care of themselves at some point.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I already volunteer in homeless shelters on the weekends. The people who apply themselves get my help and tend to move out on their own and do well. Those who don't, stay, and I tend to ignore them b/c they aren't worth my time. If you're a real charity case, I'll hear you out. If you're really applying yourself, I'm perfectly happy to help you and reduce the tax burden on myself and my fellows. That said, the majority of the truly poor, not just the "I just got laid off and lost my house" poor who actually have a fair amount of equity in that house they just lost which can be liquidated if they pay attention, are just plum lazy and/or stupid beyond comprehension. Frankly, they should stay poor and should be looked down upon. I should not have to pay for a poor man buying cigarettes with an EBT card, which I've seen firsthand and even mentioned to the shop owner how illegal that is, only to be tossed out myself because those cigarettes were worth more than the food I was buying.

The poor have it better in this country than anywhere else in the world. They can take advantage of that to better themselves and move up, or they can be lazy and ruminate in their own filth. The former don't need free internet b/c they already know how to get it. The latter don't deserve it.

it's clear you are set in your opinions so there is no point in trying to change it,  but as someone who has lived in poverty and continues to try and make something out of himself, I can tell you that the system does not make it easy at all, and in someways does the opposite, it was intended to.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

I probably should have asked, how will I get to said internship? I live at least 30 miles from the nearest McDonalds, and there's no way in hell my parents are going to drive that far, to take me to work somewhere for free.

Well you clearly have internet.

I hardly know your exact situation. But what is clear is that you aren't a good candidate. But frankly... If you live in an area that has zero jobs related to your field, it is time to move. 

You take a bus, or hire a taxi, or you find temporary housing closer to your internship, such as an apartment or Section 9 if your family is really so broke, or ask if one of your coworkers can house you through that period with a spare room. My family did it, and so can you. The USA is not short of opportunity. Its citizenry seem to be very short on forethought though.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

it's clear you are set in your opinions so there is no point in trying to change it,  but as someone who has lived in poverty and continues to try and make something out of himself, I can tell you that the system does not make it easy at all, and in someways does the opposite, it was intended to.

The only ways the system works against those impoverished is giving them too much for free and enabling them to remain impoverished but in comfort. Survival instinct should kick in when you're that poor. You should be clawing your way up over the corpses of the dregs of society if you must, though do take the children with you. Most if not all of them are innocent of their parents' mistakes.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No, I'm not joking. Most of the poor are very lazy or unintelligent and are still very much cared for. Our welfare system is the most generous in the world. It's far from spartan, and we spend far too much on it. Let the poor better themselves and earn a better lot in life.

That's news to me. I grew up poorer than most of you most likely, and I applied myself, got a full ride through college including my master's studies. Businesses are not moral entities and cannot operate as such. They exist to make money by selling services or products. You either understand that and work with it, or you delude yourself. Businesses are not charities, and though we can reward them for doing charitable work, you cannot change this fundamental fact. The rich remain rich by being more intelligent than consumers at large. The very poor mostly remain poor by their bad decisions and the fallout from those decisions. If my family could go from broke to making 6 figures, so can anyone. My parents aren't brilliant, but they're damn good at what they do after years of practice. 

War will always be its own economic force. If you intend to stop that, you'd have to topple the entire tech and weapons industry. It's not going to happen. Humans are inherently weak against laziness and greed, two forces which are usually conflicting. If money can be made, it will, by any and all means necessary, following the path of least resistance until one hungers for more, and then the next (but laziest usually) step is taken to make more. Oil is an economy of scale, and sorry but that scale is huge and can't be toppled except by innovations on scales we simply haven't seen in solar. As efficiency of ICEs has risen steadily in years and as the efficiency of solar panels has pretty much stagnated, there is little demand for it because economically the returns take forever or will never materialize. If you want to change the system, you're going to have to be better than the system. Politics is not the right answer. Enabling the poor beyond giving them ample opportunity (which they have in spades in this country) is not the right answer. Sorry but even as a life long democrat who practically idolizes Kennedy, you're so far off track you've lost all sight of it. The GOP's arguments are wholly correct. It's stupidly expensive for no guaranteed return in a time we don't have money and the poor don't need more.

Lazy or unintelligent majority eh? That is the most idiotic, simpleminded and horrible thing I have ever heard you say, and you have had some zingers in the past let me tell ya!

So fuck the poor people because they have been made dumb by our flawed education system because that's clearly their fault! In fact Fuck the middle class too because the lines are seriously blurred between the lower and mid class in the US. Let's just keep voting people in that don't give a fuck about people who didn't choose to be born into a family that never received a proper education because of the community they happened to also be born in because that is clearly their fault as well.

People aren't looking for a handout, people need a step up! Throwing money willy nilly at the situation won't solve it, investing in education, healthcare and community programs that are designed to inform people of their opportunities is definitely the way to go. None of these solutions have been tackled properly by any party, it's because our stupid ass politicians are worried about maintaining their lofty place among the rich instead of what really matters, making laws and improvements to our country that helps everyone achieve their dreams.

As for oil companies, they line the pockets of politicians to have tax breaks and political buying power to keep their industry afloat. They pay off state representatives to lie about the effects of fracking and lie about the scale of thoughtless natural disasters they cause and get by with a slap on the wrist when entire communities are poisoned by their stupidity. The GOP is all about being lax and unobtrusive when it comes to regulations, and it fucking shows. More money for really rich people!!!! Why would our government really invest in other renewable forms of energy when they make SO MUCH FUCKING CASH off of oil!?!? And who is smack dab in the middle of that politically corrupt circle jerk? The GOP. They have got caught with their hands in the cookie jar many times but nothing is done because we don't have fucking term limits for these greasy bastards and speaking out against it within your own party regardless of which side is political suicide.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Not always true. I served plenty of people who were on welfare, that did nothing but hitch a ride to the liquor store, sell their foodstamps card for cash, and proceed to drink all day

Well you clearly have internet.

I hardly know your exact situation. But what is clear is that you aren't a good candidate. But frankly... If you live in an area that has zero jobs related to your field, it is time to move. 

You take a bus, or hire a taxi, or you find temporary housing closer to your internship, such as an apartment or Section 9 if your family is really so broke. My family did it, and so can you. The USA is not short of opportunity. Its citizenry seem to be very short on forethought though.

1. I am not a good candidate because I'm not a minority, and not female, which are higher on the list for companies because of government push for "diversity", despite having good references from all of my previous employers.

2. Those are things that require money, something I do not have.

3. My family isn't broke, but they have their own financial problems, like paying the IRS an assload of money because my idiot of a father somehow didn't pay his taxes for like 10 years.

1. I am not a good candidate because I'm not a minority, and not female, which are higher on the list for companies because of government push for "diversity", despite having good references from all of my previous employers.

3. My family isn't broke, but they have their own financial problems, like paying the IRS an assload of money because my idiot of a father somehow didn't pay his taxes for like 10 years.

1. You aren't a good candidate because you are unwilling to work to gain experience. I'm a white male having some issues getting a job, but I don't blame it on anyone but myself.

2. Maybe move. 

3. Holy crap.

If you want to stop perpetuating it, stop enabling the poor in remaining poor! It should be shameful to be a failure to that degree for any extended period! They should be getting the bare essentials until they're back in the workforce. The poor get so many luxuries in this country it's insane! The internet is free already if you just look for it.

3 words

EQUAL EDUCATION OPPORTUNITIES

That's how the poor stop being poor, not pulling the fucking rug out from under people! I am glad the welfare system is in place, it has helped me many times and does so for so many Americans. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

3 words

That's how the poor stop being poor, not pulling the fucking rug out from under people! I am glad the welfare system is in place, it has helped me many times and does so for so many Americans. 

That does work, but the current system does not. I've met plenty of people who have the "why should I try when I can just get what I need from the gub'ment".

Not always true. I served plenty of people who were on welfare, that did nothing but hitch a ride to the liquor store, sell their foodstamps card for cash, and proceed to drink all day

this is true, but in that case it is an issue about addiction and using whatever resource they have to feed the addiction, it's not a fault or a statement about people who are on welfare in general

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

1. You aren't a good candidate because you are unwilling to work to gain experience. I'm a white male having some issues getting a job, but I don't blame it on anyone but myself.

2. Maybe move. 

3. Holy crap.

How would I move? Once again, all of your suggestions require money. And I've worked for a state agency and seen their hiring policies, they put a priority on minority individuals and women.

this is true, but in that case it is an issue about addiction and using whatever resource they have to feed the addiction, it's not a fault or a statement about people who are on welfare in general

Not a fault on them no. A fault on the system for not including measures to make welfare a less than optimal experience. Including drug testing, better checks for who is using the welfare card, and requiring them to get a job sooner or later.

How would I move? Once again, all of your suggestions require money. And I've worked for a state agency and seen their hiring policies, they put a priority on minority individuals and women.

Do jobs that you don't necessarily want to do. You can't be picky.

I honestly can't believe that you have worked, let alone worked for a state agency. But you are right. 

The only ways the system works against those impoverished is giving them too much for free and enabling them to remain impoverished but in comfort. Survival instinct should kick in when you're that poor. You should be clawing your way up over the corpses of the dregs of society if you must, though do take the children with you. Most if not all of them are innocent of their parents' mistakes.

how ignorant one has to be to believe in the bullshit you are writing there.

the whole "system" only "works" when enough people are exploited.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Very true, which is why we need measures to force people off of welfare, or to force them to take care of themselves at some point.

if you want people off welfare you need to make the minimum wage in your country worthwhile. providing the basics of a roof over there heads food on the table and the ability to look for a job are where it should start and never go below. and if that's more money then working minimum wage then you need to raise the minimum wage not cut the welfare

Do jobs that you don't necessarily want to do. You can't be picky.

I honestly can't believe that you have worked, let alone worked for a state agency. But you are right. 

Keep in mind that how people act online, isn't necessarily how they act in real life. When I have a job, I'm there every day, 15 minutes early in case I'm needed (not that I clock in early, I'm just there).

And the only thing around here that I could even hope to do, would be working in a field, which I would last maybe 2 days at because I'm not in that good of shape. I've even applied at Domino's, a company I despise, and have worked for multiple times in multiple locations. Although getting a job at domino's as an insider is nigh impossible these days because they make the delivery drivers do all that work.

Right now, the plan is for me to finish school, then me and my sister will move to the city where I can hopefully get a job to pay the bills. Hopefully at somewhere like geeksquad that pays more than a pittance.

Keep in mind that how people act online, isn't necessarily how they act in real life. When I have a job, I'm there every day, 15 minutes early in case I'm needed (not that I clock in early, I'm just there).

And the only thing around here that I could even hope to do, would be working in a field, which I would last maybe 2 days at because I'm not in that good of shape. I've even applied at Domino's, a company I despise, and have worked for multiple times in multiple locations. Although getting a job at domino's as an insider is nigh impossible these days because they make the delivery drivers do all that work.

Fair enough!

Why don't you just start selling your pocket sand?

if you want people off welfare you need to make the minimum wage in your country worthwhile. providing the basics of a roof over there heads food on the table and the ability to look for a job are where it should start and never go below. and if that's more money then working minimum wage then you need to raise the minimum wage not cut the welfare

Minimum wage doesn't work over here, as companies just raise their prices to offset the additional overhead of paying their workers more. All it does in the end is cause more inflation and further deepen poverty.

Fair enough!

Why don't you just start selling your pocket sand?

Not that big of a market for it lol

Like I said, I have a plan. But the entire point of my argument is that there are people, like me, who, without internet access, would(or are) be completely f**ked

Lazy or unintelligent majority eh? That is the most idiotic, simpleminded and horrible thing I have ever heard you say, and you have had some zingers in the past let me tell ya!

So fuck the poor people because they have been made dumb by our flawed education system because that's clearly their fault! In fact Fuck the middle class too because the lines are seriously blurred between the lower and mid class in the US. Let's just keep voting people in that don't give a fuck about people who didn't choose to be born into a family that never received a proper education because of the community they happened to also be born in because that is clearly their fault as well.

People aren't looking for a handout, people need a step up! Throwing money willy nilly at the situation won't solve it, investing in education, healthcare and community programs that are designed to inform people of their opportunities is definitely the way to go. None of these solutions have been tackled properly by any party, it's because our stupid ass politicians are worried about maintaining their lofty place among the rich instead of what really matters, making laws and improvements to our country that helps everyone achieve their dreams.

As for oil companies, they line the pockets of politicians to have tax breaks and political buying power to keep their industry afloat. They pay off state representatives to lie about the effects of fracking and lie about the scale of thoughtless natural disasters they cause and get by with a slap on the wrist when entire communities are poisoned by their stupidity. The GOP is all about being lax and unobtrusive when it comes to regulations, and it fucking shows. More money for really rich people!!!! Why would our government really invest in other renewable forms of energy when they make SO MUCH FUCKING CASH off of oil!?!? And who is smack dab in the middle of that politically corrupt circle jerk? The GOP. They have got caught with their hands in the cookie jar many times but nothing is done because we don't have fucking term limits for these greasy bastards and speaking out against it within your own party regardless of which side is political suicide.

Our education system is fine. There exist enough resources outside the classroom you could teach yourself up through a full college education for free. Between Coursera, ItunesU, Udacity, EdX, MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy on Youtube, and so much more, it can be done with ease. Now, there is a disparity between public and private education below the post-secondary level, but you can level that field easily with the resources I've mentioned, and there's plenty of education charities and service scholarships you can partake in. Hell, just join the Coast Guard ROTC and go to college for free! Sure you'll spend 2-3 years in live service, but Hell that'll net you a better resume for a full time job than almost any internship combo platter will. The poor are not short of opportunity or resources. Get that through your skull. They can choose to use those resources or not.

If you live in a crime-ridden area, the Salvation Army can help you move out for a deferred expense you pay back when you get a job down the line. No one in this system is trapped but the truly ignorant, lazy, and/or stupid.

We're already more invested in education than the next four top countries combined. What more do you want? The resources are there for those willing to find them. The information about opportunity is there. You need only search. The free wifi is at McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.. 

Let me guess, you saw Gas Land and thought that was the only story you needed, right? Or something similar? The truth is numerous university studies show Fracking is pretty much harmless but for the loss of fresh water used in the fracturing process, which frankly I think they should be forced to use ocean water, but our desalination plants are getting huge upgrades via graphene filtration which doesn't require active electricity or chemicals to desalinate water. That won't even be an issue 5 years from now. Most communities where natural gas entered their wells had it before the Fracturing started, or it was proved there were gas pockets under the well which were going to breach eventually with or without the fracturers, and in the case where fracturing actually did cause direct damage to a river and well, all medical expenses and landscaping expenses to fix that were paid in full. Industry is greedy, not outright evil, and there are no viable alternatives to Oil and natural gas yet which are any less harmful to the environment. Even Elon Musk's batteries are a far cry from being easy on the environment. Heavy metals, powerful acids, you name it, those batteries probably have it. Hydrogen is too unsafe still, and the solid containment units can't be mass-produced on the scale necessary to replace cars the world over. Solar is still not viable either. We could make everyone drive cars loaded with supercapacitors like the buses in China, but we'd have to rebuild the ENTIRE U.S. road system to do it, an investment we currently can't afford. 

Do some more thorough research. The oil companies don't get much of any special tax breaks beyond the rest of corporate america. If you want someone to burn over that, go join Occupy WS. At least they have something legitimate to protest about. And actually the democrats are closer to big oil and banks than you think. Neither party is wholly innocent, but you condemn the GOP far too much, and I AM a democrat.

1) BS. There's more job openings in the country than there are people unemployed. It's statistically not possible for you to be unable to get a job.

2) Get a loan. If you have a steady income, any bank would probably give you $4000 to start to pay basic expenses. 

3) Again, stupid decisions lead to financial problems and poverty. 

You can dig out of that easily.

No, I'm not joking. Most of the poor are very lazy or unintelligent and are still very much cared for. Our welfare system is the most generous in the world. It's far from spartan, and we spend far too much on it. Let the poor better themselves and earn a better lot in life.

Most generous in the world?  Seriously?  Have you ever been outside the US?  From the sound of that statement, you've yet to see how things work here in the civilized world.

Also, as someone with multiple diplomas and a Mensa membership card who had to rely on welfare for years due to severe medical problems, I find that lazy and unintelligent statement rather offensive. 

Being a son of US citizens, I'm fairly familiar with how welfare works on both sides of the Atlantic because I did look into all options in terms of living and working.  If I had been in the US I'd be in the gutter right now or relying on my parents instead of making my way up again after the FREE surgeries.

3 words

Those already exist. You need only outstretch your hand.

1) BS. There's more job openings in the country than there are people unemployed. It's statistically not possible for you to be unable to get a job.

2) Get a loan. If you have a steady income, any bank would probably give you $4000 to start to pay basic expenses. 

3) Again, stupid decisions lead to financial problems and poverty. 

You can dig out of that easily.

Yeah.....move here and then tell me that. There is literally f**k all around here. Statistics mean nothing to the individual and rarely apply to real life. The closest places to me are two gas stations, a food lion, an advanced auto parts, a CVS pharmacy, a subway, a chinese food place, and a vets office. I've applied at all, multiple times.

Most generous in the world?  Seriously?  Have you ever been outside the US?  From the sound of that statement, you've yet to see how things work here in the civilized world.

Also, as someone with multiple diplomas and a Mensa membership card who had to rely on welfare for years due to severe medical problems, I find that lazy and unintelligent statement rather offensive. 

Being a son of US citizens, I'm fairly familiar with how welfare works on both sides of the Atlantic because I did look into all options in terms of living and working.  If I had been in the US I'd be in the gutter right now instead of making my way up again after the FREE surgeries.

I have always qualified those statements with "most" and I even stated earlier there are exceptions related to disability, and obviously medical. You're not the only one here with a Mensa membership either. The opportunities exist in spades, and the accomodations of the poor in the U.S. rival anywhere else in the world. The country does not have the money to pay for everything, and the very rich already pay more than half their income to state and federal taxes in the majority of cases, my father being one of them. The poor need to get off their behinds in most cases. Nose to the grindstone and fight for what you want, because what you need has already been provided.