Republicans want to kill the FCC's plan to subsidize internet for the poor

Lazy or unintelligent majority eh? That is the most idiotic, simpleminded and horrible thing I have ever heard you say, and you have had some zingers in the past let me tell ya!

So fuck the poor people because they have been made dumb by our flawed education system because that's clearly their fault! In fact Fuck the middle class too because the lines are seriously blurred between the lower and mid class in the US. Let's just keep voting people in that don't give a fuck about people who didn't choose to be born into a family that never received a proper education because of the community they happened to also be born in because that is clearly their fault as well.

People aren't looking for a handout, people need a step up! Throwing money willy nilly at the situation won't solve it, investing in education, healthcare and community programs that are designed to inform people of their opportunities is definitely the way to go. None of these solutions have been tackled properly by any party, it's because our stupid ass politicians are worried about maintaining their lofty place among the rich instead of what really matters, making laws and improvements to our country that helps everyone achieve their dreams.

As for oil companies, they line the pockets of politicians to have tax breaks and political buying power to keep their industry afloat. They pay off state representatives to lie about the effects of fracking and lie about the scale of thoughtless natural disasters they cause and get by with a slap on the wrist when entire communities are poisoned by their stupidity. The GOP is all about being lax and unobtrusive when it comes to regulations, and it fucking shows. More money for really rich people!!!! Why would our government really invest in other renewable forms of energy when they make SO MUCH FUCKING CASH off of oil!?!? And who is smack dab in the middle of that politically corrupt circle jerk? The GOP. They have got caught with their hands in the cookie jar many times but nothing is done because we don't have fucking term limits for these greasy bastards and speaking out against it within your own party regardless of which side is political suicide.

I learned a long time ago that its impossible to "argue" against bigotry and evil.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Yeah.....move here and then tell me that. There is literally f**k all around here. Statistics mean nothing to the individual and rarely apply to real life. The closest places to me are two gas stations, a food lion, an advanced auto parts, a CVS pharmacy, a subway, a chinese food place, and a vets office. I've applied at all, multiple times.

Double check your resume, because there's a shortage of basic labor, and if they haven't filled their positions, they'll take who they can get that's reasonable. Is it your interviewing (where applicable) that's terrible? How do you carry yourself when presenting to prospective employers? It's not difficult to get a job unless there is something truly wrong with how you're presented. This picture of mine some say makes me look dweebish. Put on onyx black shoes and a well-tailored black suit, comb back the chair, level the face, and suddenly I look very sharp in purple. 

If you're doing everything you can and still can't find work, you need either local advice, or you need to move.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I learned a long time ago that its impossible to "argue" against bigotry and evil.

Slander is a crime in most countries, how about yours?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

How would I move? Once again, all of your suggestions require money. And I've worked for a state agency and seen their hiring policies, they put a priority on minority individuals and women.

Not a fault on them no. A fault on the system for not including measures to make welfare a less than optimal experience. Including drug testing, better checks for who is using the welfare card, and requiring them to get a job sooner or later.

welfare is not a free handout, and by the way welfare, is a word that people lump several completly diffrent agenices together most notably, section 8, SSI,  Food stamps (which arent actually  stamps) and medicare.

do you know how long it takes someone to get on section 8 ? in the state of Minnesota it can take up to a year and a half, afterwards you are subjected to frequent auditing, this includes your personal saving and checking account, in my city they actually make it a penalty to have more the 2500 in you checking acount,  anything you own that is worth more the 500 dollers, plasma donations and even gifts that people give you (even though they are not a reliable source of income)

food stamps can be great, but if you work full time (like i do) and live with somone else (in my case my mother) they are constantly cut until  I only got about $50 dollers worth, I think the real joke was when the sent me a letter saying they would cut food stamps down to about 12.00 per months, real help there.

as for medicare / medicad (they are two different programs), now it is decent, but you can pretty much bet that you are only going to get the most basic healthcare and supplies, my mom's breathing apparatus is a lovely Grey mechanical box that is loud oh and a bunch or air tanks (very flammable), but still it is much better then nothing,

and remember all of these programs are subject to (frequent) budget cuts and Bureaucratic BS, two years ago, the city had to let go of over 7,000 people on section 8 because of massive state cuts, that means more people on the streets.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Double check your resume, because there's a shortage of basic labor, and if they haven't filled their positions, they'll take who they can get that's reasonable. Is it your interviewing (where applicable) that's terrible? How do you carry yourself when presenting to prospective employers? It's not difficult to get a job unless there is something truly wrong with how you're presented. This picture of mine some say makes me look dweebish. Put on onyx black shoes and a well-tailored black suit, comb back the chair, level the face, and suddenly I look very sharp in purple. 

If you're doing everything you can and still can't find work, you need either local advice, or you need to move.

I need to move. This area is sh*t. Even on the busiest days, the local food lion only ever has about 3 people running the registers (with like, 10 registers in the store). Virginia is a sh*t place for employment. I worked for a state agency, and even they had cut everyones hours back to below 30 because the work week was redefined to 30 hours a week, and they don't want to pay people for working more than full time, or apparently want them to qualify for health insurance.

welfare is not a free handout, and by the way welfare, is a word that people lump several completly diffrent agenices together most notably, section 8, SSI,  Food stamps (which arent actually  stamps) and medicare.

do you know how long it takes someone to get on section 8 ? in the state of Minnesota it can take up to a year and a half, afterwards you are subjected to frequent auditing, this includes your personal saving and checking account, in my city they actually make it a penalty to have more the 2500 in you checking acount,  anything you own that is worth more the 500 dollers, plasma donations and even gifts that people give you (even though they are not a reliable source of income)

food stamps can be great, but if you work full time (like i do) and live with somone else (in my case my mother) they are constantly cut until  I only got about $50 dollers worth, I think the real joke was when the sent me a letter saying they would cut food stamps down to about 12.00 per months, real help there.

as for medicare / medicad (they are two different programs), now it is decent, but you can pretty much bet that you are only going to get the most basic healthcare and supplies, my mom's breathing apparatus is a lovely Grey mechanical box that is loud oh and a bunch or air tanks (very flammable), but still it is much better then nothing,

and remember all of these programs are subject to (frequent) budget cuts and Bureaucratic BS, two years ago, the city had to let go of over 7,000 people on section 8 because of massive state cuts, that means more people on the streets.

Yeah I know all of that, as my sister is on almost all of those programs due to a myriad of health problems. (possibly lupus, and including diabetes, epilepsy, fibro whatever, bi-polar disorder, depression, etc)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Our education system is fine. There exist enough resources outside the classroom you could teach yourself up through a full college education for free. Between Coursera, ItunesU, Udacity, EdX, MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy on Youtube, and so much more, it can be done with ease. Now, there is a disparity between public and private education below the post-secondary level, but you can level that field easily with the resources I've mentioned, and there's plenty of education charities and service scholarships you can partake in. Hell, just join the Coast Guard ROTC and go to college for free! Sure you'll spend 2-3 years in live service, but Hell that'll net you a better resume for a full time job than almost any internship combo platter will. The poor are not short of opportunity or resources. Get that through your skull. They can choose to use those resources or not.

If you live in a crime-ridden area, the Salvation Army can help you move out for a deferred expense you pay back when you get a job down the line. No one in this system is trapped but the truly ignorant, lazy, and/or stupid.

We're already more invested in education than the next four top countries combined. What more do you want? The resources are there for those willing to find them. The information about opportunity is there. You need only search. The free wifi is at McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.. 

Let me guess, you saw Gas Land and thought that was the only story you needed, right? Or something similar? The truth is numerous university studies show Fracking is pretty much harmless but for the loss of fresh water used in the fracturing process, which frankly I think they should be forced to use ocean water, but our desalination plants are getting huge upgrades via graphene filtration which doesn't require active electricity or chemicals to desalinate water. That won't even be an issue 5 years from now. Most communities where natural gas entered their wells had it before the Fracturing started, or it was proved there were gas pockets under the well which were going to breach eventually with or without the fracturers, and in the case where fracturing actually did cause direct damage to a river and well, all medical expenses and landscaping expenses to fix that were paid in full. Industry is greedy, not outright evil, and there are no viable alternatives to Oil and natural gas yet which are any less harmful to the environment. Even Elon Musk's batteries are a far cry from being easy on the environment. Heavy metals, powerful acids, you name it, those batteries probably have it. Hydrogen is too unsafe still, and the solid containment units can't be mass-produced on the scale necessary to replace cars the world over. Solar is still not viable either. We could make everyone drive cars loaded with supercapacitors like the buses in China, but we'd have to rebuild the ENTIRE U.S. road system to do it, an investment we currently can't afford. 

Do some more thorough research. The oil companies don't get much of any special tax breaks beyond the rest of corporate america. If you want someone to burn over that, go join Occupy WS. At least they have something legitimate to protest about. And actually the democrats are closer to big oil and banks than you think. Neither party is wholly innocent, but you condemn the GOP far too much, and I AM a democrat.

I have a special needs brother who has transferred to three different schools, each has failed him in getting the education he needs. I grew up in a very small community, the courses that were offered at our school were pathetic in comparison to other schools in the area, this is not equal education at all!

I boycott the salvation army because of their anti LGBT practices and beliefs.

And I didn't see gasland

My main issue is the political buying power these companies are allowed to have, they influence our government and pay off politicians on both sides! Getting money out of politics is one of the first steps along with term limits.

Sorry for the short reply, I have to leave for now <3

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I need to move. This area is sh*t. Even on the busiest days, the local food lion only ever has about 3 people running the registers (with like, 10 registers in the store). Virginia is a sh*t place for employment. I worked for a state agency, and even they had cut everyones hours back to below 30 because the work week was redefined to 30 hours a week, and they don't want to pay people for working more than full time, or apparently want them to qualify for health insurance.

Businesses exist to turn a profit for the owners/shareholders. That means cutting any and all costs which don't themselves result in diminishing profits. Efficiency and equity are two opposed forces. You will never get businesses to value equity unless you can drum up economic incentives which won't make the country's taxes balloon. You have to be valuable enough to hire. That's on you. Something I learned to ask when my first few internship interviews didn't go so well: I learned to ask "what could I have done better?" or "what am I missing?" before I'd walk out the door. When I started doing that, some of the recruiters sat me back down, saying it was unusual to hear someone ask such a thing, but that it belied drive to improve, motivation. I turned my weakness into strength by doing something no one else was doing: asking the company what it needed. Try that. And maybe those first few jobs will suck and have you working terrible hours, but when you fight for more, you'll eventually get better hours, pay, etc., because you'll be bringing more value to the company in your work. 

And yes, move out of that area. Virginia is built on small, tightly-knit communities circling small cities, not the kind of widespread towns that NJ, NY, CA, or other economic powerhouses are that have metropolises overflowing with jobs and money which spreads to the suburbs and into towns. If you can leave the state altogether, that'd probably be your best option. The Salvation Army can help with that.

Oh Republicans, will you ever stop being silly and start serving the needs of the people (the people who aren't Fortune 500 CEOs that is).

I'm sorry, which party bailed out the big banks in 2008/2009?  Oh right.  The democrats.  Study real politics if you want to make jaded political statements rather than being so heavily influenced by the political marketing you're so feverishly against.  Both parties are equally as heavily influenced by corporations.  Democrats just do a better job of creating a good perception to young people.  I'm not a supporter of either side, but statements like that are more biased than politicians themselves.

Back on topic, I could care less about both parties, but is subsidizing internet really something we should want?  It's more spending on an already bloated budget, and frankly subsidizing internet would just give ISPs more customers and revenue, so the idea that this is helping the ISPs is completely backwards.  Cheap internet in the midwest can be had for $20/month.  Subsidizing that shite 1mbps connection is just going to further anchor us to shitty speeds and connections.  And beyond that, our budget can't hold it, and there are better ways to spend tax dollars such as on our shitty k-12 education.

I have a special needs brother who has transferred to three different schools, each has failed him in getting the education he needs. I grew up in a very small community, the courses that were offered at our school were pathetic in comparison to other schools in the area, this is not equal education at all!

I boycott the salvation army because of their anti LGBT practices and beliefs.

And I didn't see gasland

My main issue is the political buying power these companies are allowed to have, they influence our government and pay off politicians on both sides! Getting money out of politics is one of the first steps along with term limits.

Sorry for the short reply, I have to leave for now <3

You have the resources to move between schools, provided no less on taxpayer dime, and we've had the waivers to do it for years. You have the resources to seek charitable aid to fight on your behalf as well. The opportunity exists for those willing to seize it.

Setting term limits violates the will of the people. A true servant with the people's will behind him/her should be able to serve as long as allowed by that will. If JFK hadn't been assassinated I don't think anyone would have had a problem with him serving more than 2 terms as president. Can you really imagine no congressmen or senators who deserve the same opportunity through the recognition of their constituents? Ron Paul comes to mind.

You will never get money out of politics. You need it just to campaign, because you have to buy media air time. You would have to turn the ethics of humanity on its head to even start such a venture, much less actually see it through. 

Businesses exist to turn a profit for the owners/shareholders. That means cutting any and all costs which don't themselves result in diminishing profits. Efficiency and equity are two opposed forces. You will never get businesses to value equity unless you can drum up economic incentives which won't make the country's taxes balloon. You have to be valuable enough to hire. That's on you. Something I learned to ask when my first few internship interviews didn't go so well: I learned to ask "what could I have done better?" or "what am I missing?" before I'd walk out the door. When I started doing that, some of the recruiters sat me back down, saying it was unusual to hear someone ask such a thing, but that it belied drive to improve, motivation. I turned my weakness into strength by doing something no one else was doing: asking the company what it needed. Try that. And maybe those first few jobs will suck and have you working terrible hours, but when you fight for more, you'll eventually get better hours, pay, etc., because you'll be bringing more value to the company in your work. 

And yes, move out of that area. Virginia is built on small, tightly-knit communities circling small cities, not the kind of widespread towns that NJ, NY, CA, or other economic powerhouses are that have metropolises overflowing with jobs and money which spreads to the suburbs and into towns. If you can leave the state altogether, that'd probably be your best option. The Salvation Army can help with that.

I hope to move out west. Although I'd prefer to live somewhere like Colorado, Montana, etc. I don't like extremely large cities, too much crime and too many restrictive gun laws, as well as bad views lol.

I dress nicely, I do the best I know how. My dad has been in management for years, so he's taught me how to interview. I'm not sure why local places won't hire me. Their loss because I am a good employee. I rarely miss work, and I'm always on time or early in case I'm needed. When I'm asked to do something, I do it to the best of my abilities, if I need help, I ask, If I think I can do something better, I point it out (although in this area that seems to be looked down upon for some ass backwards reason)

The education system in the US is beyond broken.

When parents choose to break the law just so their children can get a better education, that should tell you there's a major problem.

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/america-tonight-blog/2014/1/20/stealing-educationsoledadobrien.html

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-mom-jailed-sending-kids-school-district/story?id=12763654

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

You will never get money out of politics. You need it just to campaign, because you have to buy media air time. You would have to turn the ethics of humanity on its head to even start such a venture, much less actually see it through. 

There have been a multitude of cases surrounding politicians using those campaign funds for personal spending.  Not to mention the job offers politicians have upon leaving office.

Not that politicians are running around lawless, killing grandmothers for spare hundreds, but yes, politics will make you very wealthy indirectly every time.

There have been a multitude of cases surrounding politicians using those campaign funds for personal spending.  Not to mention the job offers politicians have upon leaving office.

Not that politicians are running around lawless, killing grandmothers for spare hundreds, but yes, politics will make you very wealthy indirectly every time.

I give it about 10 years before we get to that point.

I hope to move out west. Although I'd prefer to live somewhere like Colorado, Montana, etc. I don't like extremely large cities, too much crime and too many restrictive gun laws, as well as bad views lol.

I dress nicely, I do the best I know how. My dad has been in management for years, so he's taught me how to interview. I'm not sure why local places won't hire me. Their loss because I am a good employee. I rarely miss work, and I'm always on time or early in case I'm needed. When I'm asked to do something, I do it to the best of my abilities, if I need help, I ask, If I think I can do something better, I point it out (although in this area that seems to be looked down upon for some ass backwards reason)

You should come to Oxford, Ohio. There are plenty of job opportunities here and in neighboring (20 minutes away with a local busing system), and the town's full of nice people, and drunk frats, but that's any college town, and if you get into student housing, the rent's around 3800 for the year split between 4 people on average. The winter is nippy and the summer is hot, but it's a cheap college town for food, housing, and drink.

The revolving door is a big issue, but most politicians are already wealthy before they even run for office. 

You should come to Oxford, Ohio. There are plenty of job opportunities here and in neighboring (20 minutes away with a local busing system), and the town's full of nice people, and drunk frats, but that's any college town, and if you get into student housing, the rent's around 3800 for the year split between 4 people on average. The winter is nippy and the summer is hot, but it's a cheap college town for food, housing, and drink.

I've been to ohio. Nice state, but too flat. I want mountains lol.

I basically want the same things Wendell and Logan want. Something in the middle of nowhere, with great internet access, a beautiful mountain view, and not too far a commute to my day job. While I work on my dream video game lol

The revolving door is a big issue, but most politicians are already wealthy before they even run for office. 

Yet another problem. People needing to be rich to run for office. Why we can't have elections run through government subsidized public forums, is beyond me.

The education system in the US is beyond broken.

When parents choose to break the law just so their children can get a better education, that should tell you there's a major problem.

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/america-tonight-blog/2014/1/20/stealing-educationsoledadobrien.html

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-mom-jailed-sending-kids-school-district/story?id=12763654

There are other ways. No one really cares where your HS diploma came from in the face of state standards. All that matters are the grades, test scores, extra curricular activities, community service work, employment experience in high school, and recommendation letters, pretty much in that order from a college recruitment standpoint. There are so many online education resources you can use to supplement a less than top 5% high school education. You can take AP exams without taking a class too. The U.S. education system is far from broken. The people inside it just don't know how to navigate it.

I've been to ohio. Nice state, but too flat. I want mountains lol.

I basically want the same things Wendell and Logan want. Something in the middle of nowhere, with great internet access, a beautiful mountain view, and not too far a commute to my day job. While I work on my dream video game lol

Yet another problem. People needing to be rich to run for office. Why we can't have elections run through government subsidized public forums, is beyond me.

To get to where you want, sometimes you have to go through your second, third, fourth favorite choices or worse. If I bring you to water and you don't drink, I shouldn't be burdened with the fallout from your dehydration.

The people inside it just don't know how to navigate it.

Well that sounds broken to me.  The best learning is learning how to learn.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

To get to where you want, sometimes you have to go through your second, third, fourth favorite choices or worse. If I bring you to water and you don't drink, I shouldn't be burdened with the fallout from your dehydration.

Definitely true. I wont turn down any good job offers I get once I'm out of school, but I definitely know where I want to end up. medical marijuana is a factor, as I have chronic insomnia and that's the only thing that seems to treat it. I've been to the doctor, gotten mild anti-depressants, blood pressure medicine, and some kind of root herb bullsh*t that tasted and smelled like dirty feet, none of it worked at all. The anti-depressant did nothing, the blood pressure medicine made me feel like I was having a heart attack or something, and the herb....just smelled and tasted like dirty feet and did nothing.

Didn't Elon musk have some sort of plan to do this sort of thing and get free internet for everyone?

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Well that sounds broken to me.  The best learning is learning how to learn.

It's not so complicated as to be in-navigable, or even difficult really. Invest in yourself and your children. Do the work to get them the best opportunity you can.

That second statement is true. In an economy where needs change quickly, you need to be able to learn even faster, not necessarily have all the right skills at a particular moment in time. 

Definitely true. I wont turn down any good job offers I get once I'm out of school, but I definitely know where I want to end up. medical marijuana is a factor, as I have chronic insomnia and that's the only thing that seems to treat it. I've been to the doctor, gotten mild anti-depressants, blood pressure medicine, and some kind of root herb bullsh*t that tasted and smelled like dirty feet, none of it worked at all. The anti-depressant did nothing, the blood pressure medicine made me feel like I was having a heart attack or something, and the herb....just smelled and tasted like dirty feet and did nothing.

Hell there are members of my Glee Club that could probably supply you.

There are other ways. No one really cares where your HS diploma came from in the face of state standards. All that matters are the grades, test scores, extra curricular activities, community service work, employment experience in high school, and recommendation letters, pretty much in that order from a college recruitment standpoint. There are so many online education resources you can use to supplement a less than top 5% high school education. You can take AP exams without taking a class too. The U.S. education system is far from broken. The people inside it just don't know how to navigate it.

You may be able to convince yourself, but that is not the reality that we live in.

The evidence is out there if set aside your cognitive bias.

Edit: "There are so many online education resources" - What if you don't have internet access? Isn't that what this thread is about?

Hell there are members of my Glee Club that could probably supply you.

LOL

The problem is, that in VA they treat pot like the cops in Family Guy do. Worse than murder. Seriously, in this state, you get 15 YEARS PER PLANT if you get caught growing.