YouTube launches 60fps live streaming in quest to take on Twitch

tangra

TheVerge reports that YouTube is launching a 60fps live streaming option to its service. 

YT_Advanced_Warfare_5.0.0.png

YouTube has made several moves to take on Twitch, the biggest name in video game live streaming, and today the company is rolling out another key feature to improve its service: live streams that run at 60 frames per second.

This also commes with HTML5 playback, so you will be able to go back and see what was streamed before. 

In addition to better-looking live streams, YouTube is also rolling out HTML5 playback, so that you'll be able to jump back in the middle of a live event in case you missed something. You can then speed up the stream to catch up. "These are the latest in a series of improvements we've been making to live streaming on YouTube and there are plenty left to come," the company says.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/21/8634039/youtube-60fps-video-game-streaming

I think that they need way more than just 60fps ... like proper support and promotion for streamers like Twitch. In other words, for popular streamers to monetize this. 

Nobody cares, even when twitch wasn't using 45-60 fps it was still the main place for streaming.

YouTube doesn't have the correct platform for this. The chat is terrible and interface too.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Why are people even trying? Twitch wipes the floor with every other streaming service right now.

Unless twitch screws up and does something very very wrong, they're not being dethroned anytime soon.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I think they are gonna take their piece of cake, but aren't gonna become a threat to Twitch. Well not in recent future, but beware people, this is Google we're talking about, and one thing that Google knows how to do it is business. So we might be surprised.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

the reason this is interesting, is because this gives twitch some competition from other big platforms, which will make them think about how to stay ahead, and push forward for a better future platform.

Google stop. Please.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Nobody cares, even when twitch wasn't using 45-60 fps it was still the main place for streaming.

YouTube doesn't have the correct platform for this. The chat is terrible and interface too.

I think the problem is that they are focusing on the wrong features and monetisation. Twitch offers re-accuring revenue for streamers which is a HUGE selling point.

HTML5! That alone makes me like YouTube streaming much more than twitch. And finally some serious streaming competition.

Well Youtube is taking some steps; but they are going to have to come a lot harder than just give us faster frame rate live streams. 

Wonder what they're going to add next.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

HTML5! That alone makes me like YouTube streaming much more than twitch. And finally some serious streaming competition.

Yes, YouTube is big but streaming on it is forgetful at least atm.

If Google will pay streamers more than Twitch (who are we kidding, won't happen...) then it would be serious competition.

YouTube has long way to go before it can actually be the main competitor.

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

To take on twitch?

Wat

Twitch and YouTube are owned by google...

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Yes, YouTube is big but streaming on it is forgetful at least atm.

If Google will pay streamers more than Twitch (who are we kidding, won't happen...) then it would be serious competition.

Maybe. But I don't like that Twitch still uses flash. If there is anything that has been crashing more and more lately for me and needs to be replaced it's flash.

And I'm personally not all that happy with Amazon...

Maybe. But I don't like that Twitch still uses flash. If there is anything that has been crashing more and more lately for me and needs to be replaced it's flash.

And I'm personally not all that happy with Amazon...

I hardly had any crashes but yea HTML5 is better.

To take on twitch?

Wat

Ughhh, no. Twitch is owned by Amazon.

Ughhh, no. Twitch is owned by Amazon.

Ohhhhh

Nvm

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

I hardly had any crashes but yea HTML5 is better.

Flash has really started going unstable for me lately...

Flash has really started going unstable for me lately...

Isn't this a browser issue? I mean if I recall all browsers threat HTML5 videos differently. 

Isn't this a browser issue? I mean if I recall all browsers threat HTML5 videos differently. 

I'm not talking about Flash videos (Those actually work ok). I was talking about flash as a whole. I sometimes could not read online newspapers even for 5 minutes before flash crashed

The only thing I really like about youtube's live streaming is that you can rewind.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

To take on twitch?

Wat

twitch is owned by amazon

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Youtube is still better for streaming, in that if you are late for a live stream, you can move the video to the beginning and watch it delayed. I sometimes purposefully do that with PCPer podcast, where I start watching at 10:30 Eastern, and have a half hour of buffer to skip anything that's boring, even though they are still live.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

YouTube is a terrible platform for the streamers themselves. If I remember correctly, you have to use their pitiful ad system.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch