Pirates, why do you do it?

tomison25

Was looking at the desktop screenshot thread and a number of people had popcorn time or utorrent installed. I know having a torrent client installed doesn't make you a pirate but a number of people also had pretty obviously cracked games on the desktop.

I hear the 'It's too expensive' 'DRMMMM!!!!!' 'I don't like company ______' or 'I wouldn't have bought it anyway' arguments alot but I'm interested in hearing more personal opinions.

The closest thing I do to piracy is downloading 'abandonware'

Spoiler

CPU:FX 8350 4.4 ghz (Upgrading to a 6700k!).Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R 2.0 (Upgrading to a Z170 Pro4!).GPU: Sapphire R9 290 (Arctic Cooler).RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS3 (Upgrading to 16gb ddr4 2400mhz!) PSU: Cooler Master B700. HDD: 120gb Hyper X Fury SSD, 500gb 5400rpm Caviar Blue Cooling: Hyper 212 (Switiching out with a Be Quiet! Pure Rock Slim for new build) 2x stock case fans.
Future Upgrades: h100i cooler, corsair sp120 fans, 1080p monitor, AMD->Intel CPU Switch

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it against the CoC to discuss piracy?

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

someone close this thread...another pointless post

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Because money.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Disclaimer: I don't encourage it or actually really do it anymore.

1. you don't want t spend 40-60 USD on something you don't even like. (or dont know if you will like)

2. (This is not always the case) you don't want to use some launcher they have

3. You're cheap

4. You don't want to support some company, but want to have an educated opinion  on a game.

5. sometimes it's just more convienient 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Because I've always wanted to be a pirate when I was a child.

And money reasons I guess.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

i dont pirate games but i pirate movies because there is not legal service to do so...netflix and hulu etc is blocked in israel.

also there is not need to pirate games,so cheap on steam thanks to lord gabeN

I have seen some mods say it is okay to discuss it, but it's not okay to actively encourage it and it is not allowed to link (to torrents or whatever)

But IMO it should be something we can discuss.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I enjoy sailing the seas. Why pay when you can take little risk and obtain whatever free? I pay for my games and software but not movies.

(This post was a joke for all you feds, educational purposes, don't torrent illegal copies.)

blackshades on

I interpreted it as only if I am actively endorsing piracy/ providing links to pirated content

Spoiler

CPU:FX 8350 4.4 ghz (Upgrading to a 6700k!).Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R 2.0 (Upgrading to a Z170 Pro4!).GPU: Sapphire R9 290 (Arctic Cooler).RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS3 (Upgrading to 16gb ddr4 2400mhz!) PSU: Cooler Master B700. HDD: 120gb Hyper X Fury SSD, 500gb 5400rpm Caviar Blue Cooling: Hyper 212 (Switiching out with a Be Quiet! Pure Rock Slim for new build) 2x stock case fans.
Future Upgrades: h100i cooler, corsair sp120 fans, 1080p monitor, AMD->Intel CPU Switch

someone close this thread...another pointless post

How exactly?

Spoiler

It is against CoC to talk about piracy.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

It is against CoC to talk about piracy.

If it is as really as blanket as that then I apologise and the Mods can close the thread if they wish.

Spoiler

Because I cannot gain access to some things without doing it, region locks and stuff.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I like Law & Order. A lot. The original series is not broadcasted anymore where I live. This is how much I'd have to pay to get all of it and many of those DVD transfers are actually rather low quality. Not only that but you'd notice from the link that nobody sells it directly I have to deal with ebay sellers and import it and have it sit on customs for weeks.

I have looked for the series on several services and it had some seasons available in Netflix (Only the really old ones, 1 through 9) but they're all gone  and Amazon also has only 7 out of the 20 seasons available. 

Now I'd gladly pay a reasonable amount (150 to 200 bucks) for the entire series or a fee to stream them, I am just unable to for the most part. If the shit I want to see is not available under reasonable circumstances, that's not much of a choice at all.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1. I rarely finish the game

2. I can't afford to pay for a movie I will only watch once

3. To see how a game runs

4. To see if I like a game

5. No excuse for TV Shows tbh, i'm just a filthy pirate xD

it's free, easy and practical.

in fact, it's easier than downloading a legal copy through steam because i don't have to make a steam account or anything.

it's pretty hard to find a reason to pay for a game, apart from the obvious beautiful reasons of supporting the devs and the business (which should be enough, but clearly isn't)

I pirate some TV shows that i really like because im Australian and we get content late and/or at a higher price than everyone else. I then buy the dvd/blu-ray when they come on sale here to clear my concience lol

I think I've only ever pirated 2 things, 2 games actually:

One was a game i can no longer remember the name of, but i wanted to play it, and it simply wasn't available by any other means

The second was Spore, which after losing it, have purchased legally and now own on Steam. So it was kind of like a Demo

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

many people mostlikely only focus on entertainment.

How old are you? are you fresh graduate looking for a job? or unemployed?
let me ask you... unless you are genius, have rich parents (or already rich by yourself) explain how you acquire all these software and manage to master them all

60af4d3e62.jpg

and this is are requirement for "entry level"

now let me ask you one more time.... how do you manage to buy all those softwares but still looking for a job for entry level.

I haven't pirated a game in ages because I have a job now and can afford anything I'm interested in.

Only thing I've pirated recently was the first few episodes of shows that I've been told are good, turns out I'm not that interested so I didn't buy them. 

3700x, Asus B450i, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB, Gigabyte GTX 970 ITXDan A4-SFX, SX600-G, 120mm AIO.

I used to pirate. Before I got a job.

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.