not even seasonic X650 can handle R9 290, AMD Sucks

Eyesthetics

so 2 days ago i was playing CS GO, and then all of a sudden, without any prior symptoms the screen went black, it was freezing as pressings all the buttons didn;t do anything. So i hit the reset switch and it was booting just fine until the windows "signing in" screen, the pc suddenly turned itself off, all the fans the led turned themselves off, then i tried turning it on again but there was no reaction whatsoever, no signs of life. my immediate reaction was to make sure that all the power cables are firmly plugged in, but to no avail..then i replugged all the psu cables, still no result..

and then i thought maybe just maybe its the graphics card, i took it off my gpu, replugged all the psu cables, and to my surprise it still wouldn't boot, no signs whatseover no beep no nothing like theres no power

and then i took my PSU, my graphics card and my ram to my friend's house to try them to find the faulty component, and turns out its the psu that just died, my friend's pc wouldn't turn on at all (same as my pc) as soon as he tried using his PSU it worked normally, so in conclusion, my PSU just RIP.

actually, the black screen problem has been showing up since i bought the gpu, the gpu is a reference R9 290 from powercolor, i bought it used for 215 bucks off craigslist, it was working fine until 2 days later, my pc monitor would turned black in the middle of a gaming session, usually far cry 4 or cs go, at that time my psu was corsair cx600m, people told me that it was my psu not good enough not the gpu, but they told me to rma it first as it could be a faulty psu, so i sent it in to corsair and once the new cx600m arrifved, the problem persist, then i sold the cx600m and went ahead and bought the seasonix X650 because people told me that its a really solid PSU with a 10/10 score on jonnyguru, so i bought one, and as expected, the monitor wstill turned black once in a while when playing cs go or far cry 4, so i rma it again, seasonic sent the new X650, and not even a day went by, the PSU already died, smh..

could it be that the gpu is faulty since i bought it second hand ? but it doesn't show any artifacts, oh yeah and also, when the monitor turned black, sometimes the pc recovered and a "AMD Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" text on the bottom right corner shows up, not every time..

the problem occurs more often with CS GO, far cry 4 very rarely crashed

before i bought the 290, i had borrowed my friends 970, it worked flawlessly, on the corsair cx600m

my pc specs :

Intel core i5 4690k (4.6Ghz 1.3V)

Corsair H100i

2x4gb 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance

PowerColor R9 290 (reference)

Asrock H81m-hds mobo

what the hell is wrong with my pc, why are amd graphics cards so power hungry

I really don't think you should saying that your card killed your PSU unless you are very certain about it

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Your PSU died, and that sucks, but what does it have to do with your R9 290?

Because the gpu has killed 3 psus before, i rma them. I. Bought the gpu second hand

Because the gpu has killed 3 psus before, i rma them. I. Bought the gpu second hand

Because the GPU is probably faulty.. its not the PSUs fault

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You should Rma that card,looks as if the original owner has messed with its power delivery.Your psu isnt at fault here,seasonic makes some of the best psu's on the market stop blaming them.

First, it was the corsair cx600m, my pc would show black screen once in a while in the middle of a gaming session, then i rma it, second unit still the same, then i sold my cx600m.. The problem persist, sold it and got a seasonic x650, to no avail, rma it and it died within 4 hours since I got it

First, it was the corsair cx600m, my pc would show black screen once in a while in the middle of a gaming session, then i rma it, second unit still the same, then i sold my cx600m.. The problem persist, sold it and got a seasonic x650, to no avail, rma it and it died within 4 hours since I got it

your R9 is so PSU killer.

4 PSUs died by R9? wow.

a GeForce GTX series 970 user.

I suggest looking into a new PSU.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

second hand

That word right there is what your problem lies ... You got an artifact card I believe is the correct term ... Dispose it now !!! 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Bought the gpu second hand

1 used GPU vs 4 new PSUs. Right. 

What's your complete configuration? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

The card has no artifacts whatsoever, it'd running great said from the black screen

My specs

I5 4690k 4.6 Ghz 1.3V

2x4gb 1600mhz corsair vengeance

ASRock H81M-HDS

Corsair h100i

I5 4690k 4.6 Ghz 1.3V

ASRock H81M-HDS

I'll quote from ASRocks site for the ASRock H81M-HDS

Please realize that there is a certain risk involved with overclocking, including adjusting the setting in the BIOS or using the third-party overclocking tools. Overclocking may affect your system stability, or even cause damage to the components and devices of your system. It should be done at your own risk and expense. We are not responsible for possible damage caused by overclocking.

That board was not designed for overclocking so that might be the case. It will do the job, but it wasn't made for that.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

You should Rma that card,looks as if the original owner has messed with its power delivery.Your psu isnt at fault here,seasonic makes some of the best psu's on the market stop blaming them.

He's not blaming the psu. He's blaming his gpu. Please read all the way before making bold statements like that.

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

its much more likely your wall socket killed your psu ...then the gpu

or the power cable or your power bar...if it was sending a bad power signal

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

my PSU is completely dead now, tried shorting it with a paper clip, no signs of life. not sure if the gpu is still alive though

its much more likely your wall socket killed your psu ...then the gpu

or the power cable or your power bar...if it was sending a bad power signal

nah it had been working just fine before i bought the 290, with my friend's 970

I had the same issue with the 290..kept blacking out, but this was the Vapor-X edition. Also had a 650W psu. Definitely the GPU

repost, don't tell us your GPU is the fault if its not the fault

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

yeah i wasn't sure if this belongs in graphics card or psu section so i posted it on both

AMD doesn't suck, the video card you have just sucks - not that model in particular but because it's a faulty card.

It's your card that sucks

1. You got ripped off

2. My 600w tr2 handled it just fine

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

It even killed my psu, if it only had killed itself i wouldn't be as mad