good first car?

Tim Drake

I am struggling to find a good solution my self. 

You have only got a few options to keep the insurance down. - Corsa,Polo,Lupo,Fiesta,KA,Grande Punto - you got the idea...

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

Anything with cheap insurance and good mileage. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I have a yaris it gets the job done, it's been okay reliability wise, but damn it's fucking slow. Foot to the floor all the time to get anywhere.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

How much can you spend? Are you looking for a new or an used car? Could you link a reference website to look the prices on (since IDK the prices there)?

Anything small, with 4 doors and a diesel engine should get you cheap insurance.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Anything with cheap insurance and good mileage.

Plz don't hurt me but how does this milage thing work with used cars?

Never bothered to try to understand.

Is more better etc Plz help

How much can you spend? Are you looking for a new or an used car? Could you link a reference website to look the prices on (since IDK the prices there)?

Um Idk but I know it will be used.

I bought a used Citroen C3 - 89000km on it when I bought it, was like new. Insurance is roughly 72€ a year for me :)

Anything small, with 4 doors and a diesel engine should get you cheap insurance.

But aren't diesel cars less reliable since diesel is a dirty fuel?

My dad has seemed to have that experience anyway where he has more things going wrong with his diesel than he did his petrol.

If a car has been used for less Km in theory is better than a car with more, so less is better, but that's not the only indicator of a car in good conditions.

It is basically how much fuel the car uses per mile. More miles per gallon is better

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

My dad has seemed to have that experience anyway where he has more things going wrong with his diesel than he did his petrol.

Depends on the vehicle, what the owner does with it, and whether or not the owner performs regular maintenance. Generally speaking, diesels can last a hell of a lot longer and have fewer problems than petrol engines. Diesel isn't a dirty fuel either, it just has a lot lower octane rating, which is on purpose because of how diesel engines work, igniting their fuel by compression rather than with a spark plug.

The brand of car can also matter as well. Some brands are known to be practically indestructible, like Toyota Diesels of old, or can be crap, like Ford diesels. Turbo diesels can also have a lot of problems.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Opel/Vauxhall Corsa was my First Car but I'd recommend anything from a Suzuki Swift, VW Polo/Golf ect. DON'T BUY ANYTHING FRENCH UNLESS IT'S NEWISH. 

Get one which is 6-10 Years Old as service parts will be cheap and then its not a car you'd really care about writing off in an accident, Keep the car for about 3-4 years whilst saving for a car you'd really like.

The engine is up to you depending on how far you drive day to day, a 1.0L - 1.2L Petrol are good for low insurance or a 1.3L Diesel if you do more than 20 Miles each way to work.

Lastly is spec, Avoid sport specs as the insurance will cane you for it also go with a 5/4 Door Model as that will once again lower your insurance premium as 3 Doors are known for being "Sporty" 

So thats my outline, My first car was a 2000 Vauxhall Corsa Club Spec which was a 1.2L Petrol with 5 Doors still was expensive to insure but going with an SXI 3 Door would have raised my premium by around 25-30%

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Diesels are usually more reliable in my experience. Diesel is not a dirty fuel. But the older diesels usually spewed black smoke out of the exhaust and were inefficient. But more modern ones are actually pretty good

Quite the contrary actually, diesel engines last a damn long time. Although diesel is more expensive. Also, in used cars, the mileage is how much the car has been driven by the previous owner(s). In theory, the lower the number, the better in condition the vehicle should be, but don't let this be your only deciding factor, also take into account any cosmetic damage or engine problems.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Something like a small Corsa/Polo type car

Diesels are great but if your  driving is only over short distances, then petrol would be a better option, diesels are better when covering lots of motorway miles generally

It depends on your budget but for your first car and how long you intend to keep it, but honestly I would spend  £1k-£2k and just get something to get you started, and if you wreck it then you arent going to lose much money 

It will give you a taste of driving and you can save up for a nicer/faster/better car in the future

Thats what me and my brother and sister did and it works well :)

Example of a great first car

1.2 L Corsa, only 68K on the clock £1295 - Keep it in good condition and in 12 months you can probably sell it for £1000+ and put it towards your upgrade

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/vauxhall/corsa/vauxhall-corsa-1-2i-16v-sxi-2003/4171941

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

My first car will be a Honda Prelude:

zvmf8Pk.jpg

TV31jMx.jpg

MSspF5p.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

You want less miles with a used car, because that means parts have been abused less, so that means you wouldn't have to replace parts yet, until absolutely necessary.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I think either a Mazda 6 V6 Grand Touring, or a Ford Mondeo. Perfect for some fun cruising and driving with friends.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Get something that's affordable, has at least decent MPG, common so that parts are easily found and cheap to buy, and not expensive to insure. A used honda or toyota sedan would do you fine, or perhaps an econobox like a Ford Focus would be a good pick as well. Let your first car be your learning experience, and learn some basic maintenance from the good ole' internets and you'll be fine.

I used to have a 1984 VW Atlantic this was in 2000 so it was already 16 years old and boy it was such a piece of shit: Clutch was mostly busted, sometimes doors would lock, breaks didn't work for shit (so much so that I had to use parking break often, fun times in the rain) the engine could barely make it uphill carrying my fat ass and a passenger, the frame and suspension were shut to hell to the point the car couldn't go over speed bumps without scratching the fuck out of it, a mosquito bite could usually flat my tires which I just kept patching instead of getting new ones, the trunk had a huge hole in it so the exhaust would get into the car through the speaker holes meaning that you could never roll up the windows, not even in the rain.

Still I got a million stories about that car that makes me fondly remember it. One time, and this is no joke, a homeless guy stood in front of it worshiping then climbed up inside (because of course the piece of shit didn't lock) Took me a good while to get the thing to stop smelling like piss after that but it was so funny never the less.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I think either a Mazda 6 V6 Grand Touring, or a Ford Mondeo. Perfect for some fun cruising and driving with friends.

The UK is a completely difference place :P  A v6 for your first car - insurance would be INSANE

Don't forget guys I'm 17 and don't know much of the technical stuff

gimme a shout if you need help :)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii