AMD High Bandwidth Memory Official Slides

The way things are looking, the 300 series will be a lot cooler stock due to low voltage but will run into a thermal wall when under overclocks due to less surface area.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

But will they actually make something high end with this, or just do something with dinky apu's?

The 390x is supposedly coming with this memory.

If I don't see this resulting in a triple-GPU card, I'll be sorely disappointed and ready to riot.

Out with the GDDR space-hog, in with more GPUs on the same PCB!

Agreed. Think of the advantages for HPC by having the same memory in less space, and more GPUs in the same board. nVidia can't do more than two high-end GPUs in a two-slot form factor, even in their Grid cards.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

The 390x is supposedly coming with this memory.

Agreed. Think of the advantages for HPC by having the same memory in less space, and more GPUs in the same board. nVidia can't do more than two high-end GPUs in a two-slot form factor, even in their Grid cards.

I wonder what kind of performance it will offer over non HBM cards.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Hmmm.....interesting....

I want to see the real world performance difference between GDDR5 and HBM and how it 'stacks up', eh eh  ;) ....ok I'm done

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

The card wasn't released. GG.

You didn't say released lol, you said

If there's (contraction of there is) ever a triple-GPU card

and the EAH3850 X3 Trinity was, and therefore still is.

But if you want to back out and show us how little your word is worth then by all means go for it.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

You didn't say released lol, you said

and the EAH3850 X3 Trinity was, and therefore still is.

But if you want to back out and show us how little your word is worth then by all means go for it.

Since you're going to keep going with it, you're taking this out of context to begin with.

I was responding to this post: 

If I don't see this resulting in a triple-GPU card, I'll be sorely disappointed and ready to riot.

Out with the GDDR space-hog, in with more GPUs on the same PCB!

I could have been more specific, but I wasn't so your conclusion could be drawn, but I was more referring to what OP and Norwegian Guy was talking about, which is the contents in the OP.

Since you're going to keep going with it, you're taking this out of context to begin with.

I was responding to this post: 

I could have been more specific, but I wasn't so your conclusion could be drawn, but I was more referring to what OP and Norwegian Guy was talking about, which is the contents in the OP.

Okay fine.

3DFX's Voodoo line had dual gpu cards, triple gpu cards, and even quad gpu cards.

And those were all released.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

Okay fine.

3DFX's Voodoo line had dual gpu cards, triple gpu cards, and even quad gpu cards.

And those were all released.

You're not understanding.

I was responding to a comment that was directed at the OP which are about the new Radeon cards.

Nice, maybe soon they'll be able to fit something more powerful than the R7 250 on a low profile card. Something in the same category as an R9 270x would be nice. Somehow I doubt it, unless they can produce a chip that's much less power hungry, but still now they should be able to fit it on the PCB at least :)

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

You're not understanding.

I was responding to a comment that was directed at the OP which are about the new Radeon cards.

So with the radeon triple gpu card you weasel out by saying it wasn't released and we should all know you meant a card that was released because kappa.png, and with the Voodoo triple gpu card you weasel out by saying you specifically meant radeon.

838ab9f9b3ebe0a9d40765b963cd49e51bf729c2
Linus Sebastian said:

The question is if 390 series will have delta compression, like NVidia's 900 series. In that case, 4GB is more like 5GB on a 290 series. Either way, we will see 8GB versions, if people can wait/wants to pay more for it.

GCN 1.2 has lossless delta compression as well, same as Maxwell's. AMD first introduced it with the R9 285.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

GCN 1.2 has lossless delta compression as well, same as Maxwell's. AMD first introduced it with the R9 285.

Exactly, but will they dedicate the transistors to it, now that bandwidth is not in any way, an issue? I don't know. We will see next month :D

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

So with the radeon triple gpu card you weasel out by saying it wasn't released and we should all know you meant a card that was released because kappa.png, and with the Voodoo triple gpu card you weasel out by saying you specifically meant radeon.

Do you even context? I've explained it twice now.

I didn't say "If there was ever", I said "If there's (there is, in case you get that confused too) ever" as in what subject we're talking about in the OP.

So, if there is a triple Radeon GPU that comes out, such as a 395x3 or whatever they decide to call it, then I'll do it. I'm not weaseling out as you say.

3dfx+Voodoo+5+6000+AGP+RevA1+1500+Front. 

New Voodoo 5 6000 anyone? tiny HBM package could allow four GPUs per PCB xD AMD pls. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Exactly, but will they dedicate the transistors to it, now that bandwidth is not in any way, an issue? I don't know. We will see next month :D

I don't think it's something they can disable per say, and if they could it would cost money to redesign a chip to have less efficient compression.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Do you think they need the water cooling due to the fact of less surface area for cooling due to the inherent design of the Hbm?

Manufacturers could still make longer pcb simply to hold a longer cooler without having it completely used

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

-snip-

New Voodoo 5 6000 anyone? tiny HBM package could allow four GPUs per PCB xD AMD pls. 

That looks gigantic

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

That looks gigantic

Sadly it was never made mainstream. Some test samples were made and only a few survive. The bridge chip died to ESD which killed a lot of them. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Sadly it was never made mainstream. Some test samples were made and only a few survive. The bridge chip died to ESD which killed a lot of them. 

They are unique as a concept, but they wouldn't have even gotten DirectX 7 support when Nvidia and Ati cards of the time had it, so they wouldn't have sold anyway.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Those stacks look like they will have some cooling issues.

They are unique as a concept, but they wouldn't have even gotten DirectX 7 support when Nvidia and Ati cards of the time had it, so they wouldn't have sold anyway.

If only Nvidia did the full takeover to keep them alive. But i don't think Nvidia would have kept that project.

All it take is one AIB partner and quad CrossFire on one card will be amazing and completely unnecessary. 

Do you think they need the water cooling due to the fact of less surface area for cooling due to the inherent design of the Hbm?

it's still a higher SA to Volume ratio, so cooling should be easier.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Those stacks look like they will have some cooling issues.

Memory chips running at such low base clocks shouldn't get warm

This is a signature.