GTX 960 (2GB) or Radeon R9 280, help!?

Jam3zz07
Go to solution Solved by Senzelian,

I would definitly take the GTX 960, because I'am an NVidia fanboy and AMD is for poor people.

Now that everyone heard what they wanted to hear, we can talk.

Not only does the GTX 960 deliver higher frame rates in most games, it does that also at a much lower TDP. That means also that the GTX 960 can be much quieter.

One of the advantages of the R9 280 are the 3GB of VRAM. They can be usefull, but only in certain games or if you use a lot of mods. But right now most games don't even use more than 2GB and if they do, neither the 960 nor the R9 280 can actually provide you with playable frame rates at those settings.

So like I said, I would definitly take the GTX 960. Also often the drivers are better and you get a lot of nice software like Shadowplay.

Can the people who just say 280 or 960 add some arguments as to why the 960 or 280 over the other? What you say isn't quite useful when you don't provide the reasons for it.

My fav. comment of the day! I hate those comments that only consist of one word, without any explanation.

Im struggling on which GPU to buy for my build, I have around £160/170 (cheaper the better) to spend on it.

I will be running this on a 21" screen at 1080p (1900x1080)

My processor is an Intel core i3-4160, My case is an Cooler Master N400 (will fit both of these cards, although im hoping to get the Corsair SPEC 03 in a few months) and my motherboard is a Gigabyte Z97P-D3, also my PSU is a Corsair CX600M.

The reasons i would like to go for the GTX are lower power consumption, runs cooler, seems better to overclock, and I trust Nvidia slightly more as I have used them before and its new as it came out early this year.
The reasons I would go for the 280 is that my board supports Crossfire, not SLI and it has more memory and a wider memory bus if im correct.
As im planning on slowly, but fully upgrading my build over time, If i was going to upgrade I would probably just buy another of the same card, meaning if i went Nvidia I would have to buy a new board aswell.

For a 960, ive either been thinking of getting a MSI Gaming (http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Nvidia-960-Gaming-Graphics/dp/B00SKTY6PS/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1431895902&sr=1-1&keywords=gtx+960), ZOTAC (http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZOTAC-ZT-90301-10M-GeForce-Graphics-Card/dp/B00SIOOLS2/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1431895858&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=gtx+960+zotax) or Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Nvidia-Windforce-PCI-E-Graphics/dp/B00SKTF83W/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1431895936&sr=1-4&keywords=gtx+960).

For a 280 ive been thinking of getting the Gigabyte Windforce 3 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-AMD-280-Graphics-Card/dp/B00IYD0HYO/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1431896131&sr=1-2&keywords=r9+280)

I really dont know what to do, or what would be best could anyone help?
Also could you tell me the best make to get out of the ones i have specified and what the best options/settings would be for overclocking.
Thank youuuuu!

I'd definitely take the 280 for the extra Vram.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

960. Less heat, less power consumption, more eco friendly :)

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

The 960 is better but the 285 isn't far behind and a much better value: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr92852gbd5tdhe

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

280, great value and only marginally slower than the 960, along though with that extra Vram which will give it a bit more longevity @ 1080p, since 2gb is starting to become a bottleneck at higher end games.

Or a 285 is also a good deal. Slightly faster than a 280, and a bit cheaper in some cases; it just lacks that extra 1gb.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Can the people who just say 280 or 960 add some arguments as to why the 960 or 280 over the other? What you say isn't quite useful when you don't provide the reasons for it.

I would definitly take the GTX 960, because I'am an NVidia fanboy and AMD is for poor people.

Not only does the GTX 960 deliver higher frame rates in most games, it does that also at a much lower TDP. That means also that the GTX 960 can be much quieter.

One of the advantages of the R9 280 are the 3GB of VRAM. They can be usefull, but only in certain games or if you use a lot of mods. But right now most games don't even use more than 2GB and if they do, neither the 960 nor the R9 280 can actually provide you with playable frame rates at those settings.

So like I said, I would definitly take the GTX 960. Also often the drivers are better and you get a lot of nice software like Shadowplay.

My fav. comment of the day! I hate those comments that only consist of one word, without any explanation.

Do you have any idea on which make to go for?

Do you have any idea on which make to go for?

I would either take a Zotac to safe some money or one of the EVGA SC cards. Their cooler is awesome, but you won't need that much cooling performance for a 960 anyways.

Even a nice reference design can work. I had a reference 760 from Gainward in my rig, which worked really nice.

I would either take a Zotac to safe some money or one of the EVGA SC cards. Their cooler is awesome, but you won't need that much cooling performance for a 960 anyways.

Even a nice reference design can work. I had a reference 760 from Gainward in my rig, which worked really nice.

I would recommand the Gigabyte G1 Gaming version, best cooler imho and I believe they bin the G1 Gaming series too :)

I would recommand the Gigabyte G1 Gaming version, best cooler imho and I believe they bin the G1 Gaming series too :)

dont take the gigabyte g1 card!!! just read the review by hardware canucks, and really, the 960 was nothing like the 970 and 980 g1's.

i myself am considering the zotac and strix, as these are the only two 960's that will fit my case, and only a 6-pin pcie..(i have a poor psu.lol)

more than likely to get the zotac because it is cheaper and the free game with it (amp version)

The G1 is awesome, but the cooler on a 960 is pretty useless.

My next GPUs won't be from Gigabyte again, tho. The overclocking performance on both of my G1s suck and they're waay too heavy. I'll most likey use reference cards and water cool them.

I think ive decided on the Gigabyte Windforce x2 960, as its around £165 and ive used gigabyte before and head alot about windforce, thanks for the help.

I think ive decided on the Gigabyte Windforce x2 960, as its around £165 and ive used gigabyte before and head alot about windforce, thanks for the help.

If it's true that the Gigabyte overclocks poorly you really shouldn't go for it. One great thing about the 960 is apparantly that you can put enourmous overclocks on it to gain quite a bit of performance. I would go for the evga SSC.