Samsung charging $45 for S6/S6E battery replacement (free within 1yr), $199 for screen replacement

Aniallation

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/46614/20150416/samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-battery-replacement-will-cost-you-45.htm

The battery alone was $25 to DIY on the S5, the extra $20 for labor considering the difficulty of cracking open one of these things is actually quite cheap IMO, considering this is an official service by Samsung and not a third-party repair. Interesting to see that a screen is the same price to replace on both the regular S6 and S6 Edge, which has a more advanced screen and is harder to take apart.

However, Samsung will still replace batteries for free if you're within the 1 year warranty period, and your device is holding less then 80% of it's original charge. I'm not sure how users would be able to confirm this before shelling out the money to have it shipped to Samsung, though.

samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-teardown-ifixit.j

Samsung will charge $45 to replace a damaged battery on the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge after the one-year warranty period that comes with the purchase of either device expires. This was confirmed by a Samsung spokesperson speaking in an interview with PCMag. The spokesperson said battery replacements for both Samsung flagships can be done in one business day and cost $45, not including the cost of shipping the device to the nearest Samsung repair center and having the repaired smartphone with the new battery shipped back to the customer.

The $45 fee is more expensive than the $30, exclusive of shipping costs, that Samsung charges for replacing a damaged battery on the Galaxy S5. It is, however, cheaper than the $80 Apple charges to replace an old battery with a new one on the iPhone.

Samsung's $45 fee covers the cost of having its repair technicians open up the device, take out the multiple components burying the battery, and carefully extract the battery, which is glued to the motherboard, as discovered by iFixit.

The Samsung spokesperson stresses that the $45 battery replacements are only for customers who are not covered by the one-year warranty for both the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge. For customers still under the warranty - and right now, that includes everyone - they can have their battery replaced for free, although shipping is still shouldered by the customer.

To be eligible for a free replacement, customers will have to ship their smartphones to Samsung, which will verify if the battery's maximum capacity has dropped below 80 percent of its original capacity. If it has, Samsung will open up the device, take out the old battery, and put in a new one, at no cost to the customer.

For screen replacements, Samsung charges $199 for both the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge despite the fact that it might be harder to replace the curved display on the Galaxy S6 Edge.

"Rawr XD"

Seems like samsung is being decent with the prices. That's nice.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

That battery replacement price is really nice. That glass replacement is meh, though it could be fairly priced well if it also replaces the digitizer and not just the glass. 

No thanks on the glass.

But that battery price is insanely good for a sealed phone. 

Hi there. Move along, n0thing to see here.

Hopefully other manufacturers will start doing things like this. I'm dreading the day that my One M7 starts to have a noticeable drop in charge capacity.

Free replacement for the first year and 45 dollars afterward is pretty good. Still not as good as just having the damn thing user replaceable though.

User replaceable is the best way to go. I wish a company would have that but have a charging stand where you can plug your phone in and connect 2 other batteries somehow.

Hopefully other manufacturers will start doing things like this. I'm dreading the day that my One M7 starts to have a noticeable drop in charge capacity.

Same here with the M8, looked up how to replace it and damm that is a ton of work.

That battery replacement price is really nice. That glass replacement is meh, though it could be fairly priced well if it also replaces the digitizer and not just the glass. 

Replaces the entire display assembly. "Glass", digitizer, AND the AMOLED panel. Again they're not charging much for labor here as the parts themselves already cost quite a fair amount.

User replaceable is the best way to go. I wish a company would have that but have a charging stand where you can plug your phone in and connect 2 other batteries somehow.

Only one battery but close enough lol, and OEM

dock-xac-note-2.jpg

"Rawr XD"

Replaces the entire display assembly. "Glass", digitizer, AND the AMOLED panel. Again they're not charging much for labor here as the parts themselves already cost quite a fair amount.

Parts cost a bit for us to buy them, they can build a phone for only a bit more... So parts are still expensive as hell

Atleast S6 users have a choice.  I recently bought a 2 battery and a wall charger for $10 (S3...I'm sure S5 users could find the same).  So, that's really expensive, but they have no other alternative other than pay the Samsung fee.  

S6 seems like a downgrade for me (had battery issues for the S2 and S3 I have). I guess I'll be upgrading to the S5 or Note 4.

I recently bought a 2 battery and a wall charger for $10 (S3...I'm sure S5 users could find the same).  

If its online do you have a link? I need new batteries for my S3 as well. (further reinforcing your statement)

"Rawr XD"

If its online do you have a link? I need new batteries for my S3 as well. (further reinforcing your statement)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301353551754?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Price went up to $12. Shipping was fast though. 

Also, I found 3 batteries and a wall charger for $15 shipped for the S5 (most likely going to upgrade to S5 if T-Mobile are going to put it on sale on Memorial Day). 

• 3 weeks later...

That is a little expensive. I know some good suppliers like HCQS supply Samsung parts replacement for a lower price. You can just google for it.

Not too shabby ! Very fair price.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

That is a little expensive. I know some good suppliers like HCQS supply Samsung parts replacement for a lower price. You can just google for it.

They don't have anything for S6 yet, and they sell parts only. You will have to replace it yourself, which is quite difficult and will void your warranty. Not to mention that you'll never be sure if those are 100% genuine parts from sites like that.

"Rawr XD"