Custom Loop Worth the Hassle?

Hi LTT forum,

I've recently been looking into watercooling and have been debating between whether it's worth putting in a custom loop to a system for gaming.

I am aware that there's some risk involved with watercooling and you have to drain the loop quite often... and I'm not sure if I should go out and purchase all of these parts only to cause more work. But I have never used done a custom watercooling loop. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it's worth it or not? On the one hand it's super cool and efficient but on the other it's a lot of work (as far as I know).

Thanks,

Dmanschramm

EDIT: Also, do you think it's worth two AIOs as well such as the Kraken G10 and the Kraken X61 or a custom loop... or if either are viable options?

Dual Boot Windows & Hackintosh

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

The price/performance for custom water cooling is REALLY bad.

But if you've got some of the best hardware, like 4790k or even x99 stuff, and a CF 290x or titan X setup, then the custom water cooling might be adding some performance.

In general, if you don't feel like it, don't do it. The performance is better, but expensive. On the other hand a custom loop can be so beautiful. But it's a lot of work if you want to change any parts or move the pc.

When in doubt: C4

If you feel like doing a custom loop is a hassle then it probably isn't for you, the performance gains are no where near worth the money spent on it so it is strictly something for enthusiasts who enjoy doing it.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

the only real reasons to do a custom loop are

1) you are rich

2) you want it for the aesthetics

3) you want to overclock lots for fun (not for performance, because if youre overclocking for performance a phase change cooler will perform better for cheaper)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Is it true you have to drain it like very often? If it's something that I can do and forget about then perhaps it's more of a viable option.

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

Custom water cooling is a thing you have to enjoy doing if you don't enjoy it don't do it. It's expensive as well just for a basic CPU/GPU loop it will probably set you back $300 and that's the bare minimum. Custom loops do look good IF you put time into making them look good and if you have never watercooled before I suggest using flexible tubing opposed to rigid tubing.

the only real reasons to do a custom loop are

1) you are rich

2) you want it for the aesthetics

3) you want to overclock lots for fun (not for performance, because if youre overclocking for performance a phase change cooler will perform better for cheaper)

haha what.

In what world do you live in where phase change is cheaper?

haha what.

In what world do you live in where phase change is cheaper?

You can buy a phase change cooler for a few hundred bucks

A custom WC loop will be at least $500, usually more depending on the number of fittings you use and if you do hardline or not

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Is it true you have to drain it like very often? If it's something that I can do and forget about then perhaps it's more of a viable option.

Normally for distilled water with additives it will be once every 12 months. However if you want to add a new component or something goes wrong you will have to drain the loop and it can take hours to refill and bleed the loop again.

You can buy a phase change cooler for a few hundred bucks

A custom WC loop will be at least $500, usually more depending on the number of fittings you use and if you do hardline or not

the only close loop phase change coolers I have ever seen are 1K plus USD

the only close loop phase change coolers I have ever seen are 1K plus USD

the only phase change coolers I have seen over $1000 are the ones built into a case like the one linus reviewed

Spoiler

@dmanschramm I'm a big advocate of the dual AIO setups. It costs a fraction of what a custom loop costs, and delivers about 80% of the performance. Not to mention, it's also able to move from GPU to GPU easily. No buying another $100+ waterblock every time you upgrade GPUs.

Check out my dual AIO water cooling guide:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/233847-how-to-watercool-a-cpu-single-gpu-for-under-200-in-the-us/

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

i would say no . the only reason to do it would be for looks or you want a challenge, if you doing decent overclocks and are having instability like vrms on gpu getting too hot . then it can be worth it . this was my problem the  stock cooler they were blistering but the gpu core was like 60c so i ended up water cooling so i can get more out of what i had . before on air my 970's couldnt even touch 1500mhz . under water its like 1600+ plus its nice having the core at 32c . if you do its around 600$ for d5  res cpu block and 2-3 rads and compression fittings . no 45's ect go with the kits ekwb are good . i went only tube res since the bays are a pain

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Does no one care about the lower noice that comes with water cooling? I did my loop a bit over a year ago with my 3570k and GTX 780 and I've never overclocked either since I haven't felt the need to. But already the possibility of your PC being completely silent whatever you're doing on it is worth the cost in my opinion.

With the refilling of the loop you should just use some common sense. It's no point in doing it if your loop is completely clean. I've gone a bit over a year now and see no reason to refill my loop anywhere in the near future.

Thanks everyone!

Canada eh?