1440p Screens to smartphones in 2014?

samcool55

It seems that screen manufacturers are still developing better screens for smartphones. And because they can't really increase the size of the screens because if they get bigger the phone will be just too big and would look more like a tablet instead of a smartphone, so they want to increase the amount of pixels for the screens. They are planning to launch screens with the size of 5.5", 6.0" and 6.5" with the resolution of 2560X1440 and have a pixel density of 534, 489 and 452. The mass-production of these screens would be started at the end of this year and phones featuring these screens are planned to be launched during the mobile world congress in 2014.

My opinion: It would be nice to see such screens but the gpu won't be able to keep up because the development is slower than the development of the screens. It also won't be good for the gaming performance of smartphones. What also a sad part is, pc gaming, the screens for pc's are quite expensive in my region (converted to us dollars it's about 650 dollars) with that money you can probably buy a brand new complete smartphone with that 144p screen and for the pc you can only buy the screen without having some spare money. Very sad that pc screens are getting very far behind.

Source: http://bgr.com/2013/07/17/wqxga-smartphone-displays-2014/

http://www.displaysearchblog.com/2013/07/high-end-smartphones-moving-beyond-full-hd/

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Pointless muscle flexing/marketing.  I can't see the individual pixels on my 4th gen ipod touch and it's not even 720p... All more pixels do is waste processing power, RAM, and battery life at this point.  We're already doing it with 1080p screens.

534 DPI that's ridiculous I'll never buy a phone with a screen that's beyond 5", that's just too big

Phone makers should concentrate on increasing battery life not only by making the phone bigger

144Hz goodness

Instead of focusing higher than standard on 27/24 inch monitors they focus on making higher than standard on 5 inch monitors why not make 4k tablets while you are at it

Im reffering to 1920x1080 as standard

The development of screens is going extremely fast at the moment so i'm not suprised it's actually true. I won't buy one either because i prefer a lower res screen because it will be better for gaming. Battery life is increasing but very slowly, and don't forget that some parts/rights of battery development are bought by rich guys from the mid-east that sell oil to decrease the thread of electic cars becomming more intresting than gasoline cars because they want to keep selling oil and they just forget about the battery development. For the rest it's just pure marketing, if a person that doesn't know anything about it and sees that the screen has a bigger res than the other ones, they think it's better. It's like ram for graphic cards, most people think a gt640 with 4gigs is better than a gtx670 with 2gigs because it has more ram, but it's just pure marketing. (just an example)

(english is btw not great... sorry =( )

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Lets be honest 1080p was already a bit too much and anything above that will be useless because you wouldn't really notice the much of a difference on such a small screen. It would also drain pointless energy from the battery especially when the batteries on the smart phones are already quite poor.

Galaxy Note 2 with a 720p screen is perfect I don't see the need for 1080p on such a small device. The screen (when on) is the most power draining part of the phone. Going from 720p to 1080p is over 2 times the amount of pixels needing to be powered. I's rather settle for a 720p with a better battery life over a 1080p screen.

The processors get more and more power efficient but we seem to be putting in other components that counteract all that effort and drain the battery faster and faster

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

i dont think it will come on 2014  but im sure it will come :)

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

1080p is fine for a smartphone on such a diameter.

However they should invest in regular desktop screens..

If you'd want  a 27 inch IPS-panel with 2560*1440 pixels you'd pay a lot of money the starting price is about 500 euro..

To me thats to much.

Also I don't see why they don't improve on battery Life, that should be the main focus for Apple / Samsung / HTC / Nokia imo.

Battery that goes a week with normal use, or even 3 days with intensive use.

I'd rather have an awesome battery life with an 720p or 1080p screen than one that dies after a day because the GPU needs to control that many pixels on a 1440p

CPU: i7 3930K 3.2Ghz on Noctua NH-U14S| RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz + 32GB Kingston Beast @ 1866Mhz | MBO: Asus P9X79 | GPU: ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB + Crucial M500 480GB  |  HDD: 2*3TB Seagate | PSU: Cooler Master 850m2 850W | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos Pure Black

Dell P2715Q, 4K @t 60Hz :)

On my iPhone 5, I can see pixel... It's actually visible if you look at letter "V" up close like 4-5 inch from your face. Any resolution higher than 1080p isn't ideal for smartphone but resolution higher than 1080p is very ideal for phablet and tablet. 4k should come to 10" tablets lol...

If only thay could make a 24", 120hz, 1560x1440, ips panel, with 1ms response time, and no bezel. Then life would be complete :)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

If only thay could make a 24", 120hz, 1560x1440, ips panel, with 1ms response time, and no bezel. Then life would be complete :)

It is called OLED, and it is the holy grail of monitor technologies.  Unfortunately manufacturers have decided to put that on hold and focus on 4K.   :huh:

It is called OLED, and it is the holy grail of monitor technologies.  Unfortunately manufacturers have decided to put that on hold and focus on 4K.   :huh:

Bastards!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Well judging by the cost of what just a 4k tv costs, if they were to include an OLED screen they would double the price just because they can.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I think that for phones, 720p was enough, and for tablets 1080p is enough. I I struggle to see the individual pixels on my Nexus 7 which has a 720 x 1280 panel. What needs to start increasing is consumer battery technology. I still go back to my old HTC wildfire sometimes because it lasts for 4 days of normal use for me.

For PC's though, I think that 1440p monitors need to come down in price with the advent of 4k screens.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

think they need to bump the size up on smartphones to least 6 7 inch

They definitely don't.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Remember when the thing was to make phones smaller and smaller? Now look at what we have.. galaxy s4, iphone 35, everything is giant now and barely fits in ur pocket lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I don't think you are going to see a difference between them because its such a high res on a small screen. They would have to use better components which will most likely generate more heat and consume more battery.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Remember when the thing was to make phones smaller and smaller? Now look at what we have.. galaxy s4, iphone 35, everything is giant now and barely fits in ur pocket lol

As a Galaxy Note 2 owner I'd say the phone fits pretty nicely in my pocket.

They definitely don't.

I am hoping for a 5.9" note 3. But a 7" phone is too big.

As a Galaxy Note 2 owner I'd say the phone fits pretty nicely in my pocket.

I am hoping for a 5.9" note 3. But a 7" phone is too big.

My point Exactly. As someone who owns a 7" Nexus 7, even if one cut the bezel away from the display, it'd still be stupidly huge. For a tablet though, I'm finding my Nexus a little small. I think I'll get the next gen Nexus 10.

Maybe for 10 inch tablets and smartphones for the stupid that only care about "retina display" depending on what apple decides they want to be retina display that year.

So maybe more iphone users will come over to android as it will obviously get this way before the iphone

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

Sure 1440p is a waste of resources on phones...but lets look like on the bright side. 

Since their customers are already using multiple cores to inefficiently drive these devices, ARM is (and will continue to) put resources into new processors to efficiently drive high resolution displays.  This puts pressure on Intel (and AMD  :P) to compete in the same market.  4K and 8K will come sooner than they otherwise would in the mobile and desktop markets.  So I am happy to see such displays, and nonetheless hopeful that we'll soon see desktop monitors of similar FHD++ resolutions.

i love all of the people saying that they will never buy a phone that is 6 inches. 2 years ago, we were saying the same thing about 5 inch screens. . It's going to happen, like it or not

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place