Why two monitors?

Go to solution Solved by Tuloth,

Having more monitors gets addicting.  Once you've used two you can't go back to one.  And now that I've had two for awhile, I want three.  I shudder to thing what happens after that.

Please give me some good reasons to use two monitors instead of one :)

Depend on what you are doing with the computer.

Manage more stuff simultaneously and by that increase workflow.

who cares...

because more pixels?

because you can do two things at once?

how is this not obvious???

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Watch a movie(or similar) at the same time as browsing LTT, Like what i do right now.

Or multitasking in general.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Productivity.  Nothing is more valuable to have multiple windows open while working.  Let's start with school.  Say you are working on a paper.  You can have word open on one monitor, and the internet open on another. Gaming?  Have the game on one window and music/internet/game supporting (timers etc) on the other.  I for example use 3 monitors both at home and at work as a programmer.  There is never a moment when I monitor is blank.

play fallout 3 on one monitor, while using the other one to display a full map of the wasteland.

also, playing battlefield, have one monitor displaying the action, and the other a life feed of the map with player locations and such.

point is; it's definitely not nesessary, tough it can be pretty handy in some situations.

i'm also sure there are many, many more things you could do with a dual monitor setup, these are just the things i use them for.

You can play some games and monitor your stream/temperatures at the same time.

Also, it's very easy to concentrate on one screen, when u work, rather than on one of the windows in the same screen.

I really like having my sdk on first monitor and browser & console on the second one.

Depend on what you are doing with the computer.

I just play games and watch movies/YouTube that's it.

EDIT: Oh, and some photoshop, not at high levels though.

A better question to ask is "Why only one monitor"

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

You can play a game and mess with your  skype call or just look up stuff.  Watch a movie while you play. Manage stream.. 

Just general multitasking which is always helpful. 

you can have more screen space for non gaming stuff, you can play and watch a video, you can monitor your temps and such on one, you can play splitscreen on 2 monitors in Grid autosport, more pr0n at once, etc

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I was always using just one monitor and though it is enough for me. Recently I got second because it was really cheap... Now I feel like 2 is not enough.

Productivity went up quite a bit. I can have so much stuff open and I don't have to waste time by switching between windows.

When I play games sometimes I also watch YouTube on the other one and usually I have Skype, Steam, music ... Etc opened in there.

I just play games and watch movies/YouTube that's it.

EDIT: Oh, and some photoshop, not at high levels though.

2 monitors increases productivity. 3 monitors improves gaming. Either go 1 or 3, if you go 2, then you'll just end up using 1 for games because the bezel is in the middle.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Even if all you do is browse the internet a 2nd screen is nice for music players or to watch a movie on.  When gaming its nice to be able to monitor your pc on the other screen.  

So, I use a 1440p 27 in Asus monitor for my workstation and I can easily keep windowed Chrome, Spotify, and multiple Word/Excel windows. So yeah, dual 1440p monitors would be the dream. 1080p is kinda crap resolution for single-monitor productivity.

Git Gud.

Because 2>1

Simple things like playing a game and keeping TS or a walkthrough open in the other window

CPU-i5 4690k 4.4ghz @ 1.190V, MOBO-MSI z97 gaming 3, Cooler-hyper 212 evo, GPU- r9 290x asus directcuII (-37Mv), Storage-120gb v300(switching soon), 1tb caviar blue, CASE-Red/black h440, PSU-Antec TPC 650.

Eh, I just tried 2 monitors, it doesn't add anything for me.

Do you ever alt tab to look at another window while watching a video or playing a game? A second screen negates the need for that. I love having my two Acer 1080p IPS monitors. Even two completely mismatched screens is better than just one. (Years ago I ran a 1600x900 and a 1280x1024. And I loved it.)

And, of course, if you have three you can game over them.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Eh, I just tried 2 monitors, it doesn't add anything for me.

It'll take a bit of adjusting, as most people build rigid habits around having a single monitor.

For me personally, I've used dual monitors to eliminate alt-tabbing in videogames/media consumption and to help with workflows that require referencing two or three things simultaneously.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

Having more monitors gets addicting.  Once you've used two you can't go back to one.  And now that I've had two for awhile, I want three.  I shudder to thing what happens after that.

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080Ti 11GB RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 / Samsung 860 Evo 2TB 2.5" CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro Case: Lian Li Lancool One