Long range high performance router?

killerdann12

I'm just looking at options right now so no real price range yet.

I have verizon fios and their oem router sucks so much, my room is 1 floor and 3 rooms away and i can't connect to the wifi halfway past my room.

Anyone got any recommendations on router?

EDIT: preferably one that can do 5.0 ghz  . Everyone in my neighborhood uses 2.4 ghz

Either you're master race or you're not.

Asus RT-AC66U.

Or Netgear Nighthawk x6

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'm just looking at options right now so no real price range yet.

I have verizon fios and their oem router sucks so much, my room is 1 floor and 3 rooms away and i can't connect to the wifi halfway past my room.

Anyone got any recommendations on router?

I'd get an AP. Preferably a CISCO AP, those things penetrate walls well and they also got lifetime warranties.

Edit: Although if you want to stick to routers, I would go with @TheKDub's recommendations. My bad, I just love APs so much!

Edited by isHypnophobic

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

I'd get an AP. Preferably a CISCO AP, those things penetrate walls well and they also got lifetime warranties.

Edit: Although if you want to stick to routers, I would go with @TheKDub's recommendations. My bad, I just love APs so much!

any recommendations for specific models? preferably one that is capable of 5 ghz.

any recommendations for specific models? preferably one that is capable of 5 ghz.

Both routers I suggested can do 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and can have separate guest networks as well.

As for access points, You'll have to wait for an answer from killerdann12.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Both routers I suggested can do 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and can have separate guest networks as well.

As for access points, You'll have to wait for an answer from killerdann12.

how is the range of these? my room is pretty far from where i can have the router placed.

one other thing...why not use powerline adapters?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I'd recommend the cheapest entry-level CISCO Aironet you can find. The bad part about these is that even though they have lifetime warranties, the things cost an arm and half a leg. If you have teh moola, go with this--you will not regret it. These APs can have a range of 300ft on a good config. (That's a whole American football field: 100yards)

The more economic way to go is purchase a Unifi AP, these things are 60 bucks. The "pro" version is dualband and is also been featured on linus' video here.

Edit: Here's an info-gram of the Unifi Access points: click here.

Either way, if the prices are too much, I'd go with a wireless router.

But here's a personal pitch: so at work we've just upgraded most of the campus wireless APs with CISCO Aironets (3600 series to be precise) the things freaking penetrate concrete. We've covered a whole 5 story concrete building with 4 of these APs. They're one of the best wifi access points I've ever encountered. The thing is that that is probably overkill for your use though.

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

I'd recommend the cheapest entry-level CISCO Aironet you can find. The bad part about these is that even though they have lifetime warranties, the things cost an arm and half a leg. If you have teh moola, go with this--you will not regret it. These APs can have a range of 300ft on a good config. (That's a whole American football field: 100yards)

The more economic way to go is purchase a Unifi AP, these things are 60 bucks. The "pro" version is dualband and is also been featured on linus' video here.

Edit: Here's an info-gram of the Unifi Access points: click here.

Either way, if the prices are too much, I'd go with a wireless router.

But here's a personal pitch: so at work we've just upgraded most of the campus wireless APs with CISCO Aironets (3600 series to be precise) the things freaking penetrate concrete. We've covered a whole 5 story concrete building with 4 of these APs. They're one of the best wifi access points I've ever encountered. The thing is that that is probably overkill for your use though.

Damn the AP seems so expensive, might stick with a router for now. :D

Alrighty! Router's aren't a bad choice. Have fun with your new 5ghz toy :)

Spending 200 dollars for an access point is in my opinion better than spending 300 dollars on a "top of the line" router. Not to mention that you already have a router and you just need wireless expansion. If you don't want to spend 200 dollars, why not get 2 cheaper Dual Band routers and use them as access points?

Two of those: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KATWRIY/

Violla, you get Dual Band and two access points for the price of one Ubiquiti or half of a Cisco AP.

Spending 200 dollars for an access point is in my opinion better than spending 300 dollars on a "top of the line" router. Not to mention that you already have a router and you just need wireless expansion. If you don't want to spend 200 dollars, why not get 2 cheaper Dual Band routers and use them as access points?

Two of those: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KATWRIY/

Violla, you get Dual Band and two access points for the price of one Ubiquiti or half of a Cisco AP.

so effectively making it 3 points? As you said I really just need range as my current oem router's range is quite poor.

Just saying, not trying to start anything, but all APs and home routers have the same penetration. All 3/4" sheets of drywall have a 3dB loss, which effectively cuts the signal in half. The enterprise APs, which you are recommending, simply have a higher power antenna which allows it to emit a stronger signal, thus seeming to penetrate better. Home routers have atrocious antenna compared to enterprise grade.

Source: Cisco networking student with a focus on wireless, experience, and several books and classes.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

so effectively making it 3 points? As you said I really just need range as my current oem router's range is quite poor.

Yup, you can do same SSIDs so all your devices will switch to different access points based on the signal strength. You even have enough channels, FiOS router on channel 1, first ap on channel 6 and second ap on channel 11. Not to mention that with these routers you get 3 open ports per access point. (Not counting the WAN port as it's unusable unless you flash DD-WRT).

Just saying, not trying to start anything, but all APs and home routers have the same penetration. All 3/4" sheets of drywall have a 3dB loss, which effectively cuts the signal in half. The enterprise APs, which you are recommending, simply have a higher power antenna which allows it to emit a stronger signal, thus seeming to penetrate better. Home routers have atrocious antenna compared to enterprise grade.

Source: Cisco networking student with a focus on wireless, experience, and several books and classes.

Oh no that's totally fine--it was my bad to not mention dBm and antenna strength. I still got a lot to learn when it comes to networking--I haven't passed my COMPTIA Network+ exam yet. I was just stating my experiences with the Aironets.

Then Any ideas of cheap router that can do 5 ghz? i live in the city so the 2.4 ghz frequency is flooded and so far i only see 1 person using the 5 ghz in my neighborhood. I would like to get the least amount of interference possible.