How to make an image of a HDD/SSD

Go to solution Solved by emachado99,

Do they use compression to keep it from taking up to much space. Is that how they can keep the backup on the same drive. Or do you have yours going onto a NAS too?

Read my post again as I updated it... And yes it does compress it to keep the file size smaller. I don't have mine on a NAS, but I do tend to just copy it to an external drive after that way I have it in 2 locations, God for bid anything happens.

My dad runs his own business and I'd like to set up a backup for his laptop. He uses it on the go so its possible that the device could be damaged and we would have to get a new one. If this happens we would like to have an image of the hdd stored on a NAS. What is the best software for this. I want a actual file of the hdd not to clone the hdd to another disk. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

I personally use Norton Ghost to backup my PC. It saves it under a folder on my drive, and I can easily copy and paste it somewhere else. Works great, and if anything goes wrong, I can just pop in the boot CD, and restore my PC from there.

you likely don't need to image the drive for this backup

just set the backup program to backup all his stuff on the my documents folder

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

you likely don't need to image the drive for this backup

just set the backup program to backup all his stuff on the my documents folder

I'd rather just image it so that I have a reason to build my new compact nas computer that i'm proposing to my dad. :D

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

Paragon Hard Disk Manager™ 15 Premium works well for me

How much does it cost?

I personally use Norton Ghost to backup my PC. It saves it under a folder on my drive, and I can easily copy and paste it somewhere else. Works great, and if anything goes wrong, I can just pop in the boot CD, and restore my PC from there.

Is it a real image or just copying the files that are in the documents and photos folder.

I'd rather just image it so that I have a reason to build my new compact nas computer that i'm proposing to my dad. :D

so your only doing this to get him to pay for a new NAS....real nice of you  :P

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

so your only doing this to get him to pay for a new NAS....real nice of you   :P

Yes, and no. I'd like to test my skills in building the new computer, and I'd like to help him when he breaks his computer. He's of the older generation and can sometimes mess things up without knowing it. I'd like to help prevent that from happening. Or at least help mitigate the damage.

Is it a real image or just copying the files that are in the documents and photos folder.

It is a real image

EDIT: When my OCZ SSD failed, I bought my Samsung EVO, installed it and just put in the boot CD, I DID NOT INSTALL WINDOWS. After I put the boot CD in, I insterted the external drive that had the image file on it, and proceed to restore the image onto the EVO. After it was done, I had my fully functional Windows 7 and all settings, config, files, everything back to the way it was, without doing anything to the EVO prior.

Clonezilla is free and works great.

http://clonezilla.org/

Not what I asked for but thanks anyways. I have used clonezilla before but I want an imaging program not a cloning software.

It is a real image

Do they use compression to keep it from taking up to much space. Is that how they can keep the backup on the same drive. Or do you have yours going onto a NAS too?

Yes, and no. I'd like to test my skills in building the new computer, and I'd like to help him when he breaks his computer. He's of the older generation and can sometimes mess things up without knowing it. I'd like to help prevent that from happening. Or at least help mitigate the damage.

Windows has a built in image backup.  I tried it, it sucked for me.  Clonezilla cloned my drive in 10 min (24GB image).

Read my post again as I updated it... And yes it does compress it to keep the file size smaller. I don't have mine on a NAS, but I do tend to just copy it to an external drive after that way I have it in 2 locations, God for bid anything happens.

Windows has a built in image backup.  I tried it, it sucked for me.  Clonezilla cloned my drive in 10 min (24GB image).

Yes but I don't want a cloned drive I want my HDD in my laptop to be put into a file like an .ISO. So that I can move it around easily. (No Cloning)

Thanks I'll look into norton ghost I really appreciate your help.

Yes but I don't want a cloned drive I want my HDD in my laptop to be put into a file like an .ISO. So that I can move it around easily. (No Cloning)

Sorry, but that is cloning. 

Thanks I'll look into norton ghost I really appreciate your help.

No problem, glad I could help :)

Sorry, but that is cloning. 

Maybe so, but you know what I mean. I want it in a file so that I can easily image it back onto the machine if needed. I don't want to use up a whole HDD when I don't need to just for one backup of one machine. (A bit wasteful)

Maybe so, but you know what I mean. I want it in a file so that I can easily image it back onto the machine if needed. I don't want to use up a whole HDD when I don't need to just for one backup of one machine. (A bit wasteful)

Clonezilla makes a folder with an ISO onto my external HDD.  If I ever need to, I load that ISO back onto my SSD from my HDD (takes 10 min), I have my Windows install fully updated, my utility programs and League of Legends all updated and ready to go.

Clonezilla makes a folder with an ISO onto my external HDD.  If I ever need to, I load that ISO back onto my SSD from my HDD (takes 10 min), I have my Windows install fully updated, my utility programs and League of Legends all updated and ready to go.

Can clonezilla be used for automated backups?

I get so confused reading OP's requirements of wanting an image but no cloning. Backing up an image of the HDD/SSD will be used for cloning later.

Acronis True Image, no? But purchase needed...

i7-6700K | MSI Z170A Gaming M5 | COOLER MASTER Hyper 212X | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 2600MHz 8GB (4GBx2 kit) | MSI GeForce GTX 970 | FSP Aurum S 600W

Wordpress