Saving the world with drones!

A US-based company, BioCarbon Engineering, is planning to fight the global problem of deforestation using drones to plant "one billion trees at a time".

Currently the rate of deforestation is completely unsustainable and impacting our environment in many ways including the widespread decline in species biodiversity, land degradation, soil erosion and potentially even the spread of harmful diseases such as Ebola.

They plan to plant up to 36,000 trees a day at around 15 percent of the cost of traditional methods. 

Science Alert did a good little overview of the project (they also share a lot of not very sound science so don't read all their articles as gospel):
http://www.sciencealert.com/new-project-plans-to-plant-one-billion-trees-a-year-using-drone-technology

Accidentally hit submit before finishing this...

It's really cool, but like most other small projects like this one. It won't really get noticed sadly.

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

We shall finally be called the Green Planet, one where we can actually breathe air not toxins if this one comes to the chase.

Groomlake Authority

I can't seem to find a way to share their unlisted YouTube video that gives an overview of the process of how they plan to carry out the planting. 

If you're interested you can find the link on their website under the Services heading where they state "View the system here".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NRNY1-8GGU#action=share 

I think it's exciting that so many different fields are utilising drones for such a huge variety of different applications. Ecologists have been using drones for quite some time to do population estimates from the air.

I'm not exactly sure how they will carry it out as they'd need enough pressure to get the seed pod deep enough into the ground. I do think it's a pretty cool idea though :) 

Pretty cool. This could address something that isn't being addressed right now, which is the lack of necessary environmental restoration programs.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Umm cool 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

My question is, where are they going to plant these trees? While I'm all for more forests (cuz forests are fun), deforestation usually comes as a result of people cutting down trees to build stuff. Lumber companies replant trees as it is (to cut them down again in a few years), and they actually do have rules as to what trees they can and can't cut down. (whether or not they follow those rules, is another discussion entirely)

If it's wild fire zones, that makes sense. Although wild fires do occur naturally believe it or not. (probably less common when they do occur naturally though)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

My question is, where are they going to plant these trees? While I'm all for more forests (cuz forests are fun), deforestation usually comes as a result of people cutting down trees to build stuff. Lumber companies replant trees as it is (to cut them down again in a few years), and they actually do have rules as to what trees they can and can't cut down. (whether or not they follow those rules, is another discussion entirely)

If it's wild fire zones, that makes sense. Although wild fires do occur naturally believe it or not. (probably less common when they do occur naturally though)

It's likely for South America where such policies aren't in place, and California where wild fires have taken out half of its forests. In the U.S. You're right, but outside it lumber companies aren't so responsible.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

They should crowdfund this too.  "Fund a forest drone."  Sounds fun!

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

This is a good point, most of deforestation occurs for developing crops or because of urban sprawl and those things aren't easily overcome. I think that it would be mostly used in areas that have had logging as well as for restoring land after mines close down. Like Patrickjp93 said, not all places have policies to ensure the companies restore the land and this might make it cheaper and more appealing to implement those kinds of policies. 

Mining and logging companies in Australia are supposed to carry out environmental impact reports before starting and then prove that they can restore the land at some point in time after, which almost inevitably never happens. When they try to restore the land after mining, often the soil is too damaged or is filled with things like led. 

For wildfires, they happen quite a lot in Australia but we also need a small amount of fires because the seeds of some of our trees don't open unless they've been heated to the temperatures that fires expose them to. Our bushland also generally regenerates quite quickly on its own from a fire, the wildlife not so much. 

It would probably also be helpful in developing or repairing wildlife parks for animal conservation, where needed. 

This is a good point, most of deforestation occurs for developing crops or because of urban sprawl and those things aren't easily overcome. I think that it would be mostly used in areas that have had logging as well as for restoring land after mines close down. Like Patrickjp93 said, not all places have policies to ensure the companies restore the land and this might make it cheaper and more appealing to implement those kinds of policies. 

Mining and logging companies in Australia are supposed to carry out environmental impact reports before starting and then prove that they can restore the land at some point in time after, which almost inevitably never happens. When they try to restore the land after mining, often the soil is too damaged or is filled with things like led. 

For wildfires, they happen quite a lot in Australia but we also need a small amount of fires because the seeds of some of our trees don't open unless they've been heated to the temperatures that fires expose them to. Our bushland also generally regenerates quite quickly on its own from a fire, the wildlife not so much. 

It would probably also be helpful in developing or repairing wildlife parks for animal conservation, where needed. 

Just out of curiosity, no offense intended, but isn't a large portion of Australia desert? I know there are forests, but a lot of what I've seen on TV looks more similar to the African Savannah (grassland with a few trees here or there)

Just out of curiosity, no offense intended, but isn't a large portion of Australia desert? I know there are forests, but a lot of what I've seen on TV looks more similar to the African Savannah (grassland with a few trees here or there)

Yeah, most of Australia is desert but Australia is also HUGE so you'd probably have to drive inland for 7-12 hours, depending on what coastline you're on, to hit desert.

One of the major problems with Australia is that we keep urbanising, farming and mining our fertile land; almost everyone lives on the coast. About 90% of the agriculture in the eastern part of Australia has been cleared, our forests have halved and since European settlement, Australia has had the largest decline in species biodiversity ever recorded. 

Ultimately, I could see this technology be combined with genetic engineering and they could plant seeds of plants and trees that could be modified to thrive off little to no water, nutrient poor soil, high temperatures and lots of sun exposure, to restore parts of the desert. We are still quite some way off this though. 

Yeah, most of Australia is desert but Australia is also HUGE so you'd probably have to drive inland for 7-12 hours, depending on what coastline you're on, to hit desert.

One of the major problems with Australia is that we keep urbanising, farming and mining our fertile land; almost everyone lives on the coast. About 90% of the agriculture in the eastern part of Australia has been cleared, our forests have halved and since European settlement, Australia has had the largest decline in species biodiversity ever recorded. 

Ultimately, I could see this technology be combined with genetic engineering and they could plant seeds of plants and trees that could be modified to thrive off little to no water, nutrient poor soil, high temperatures and lots of sun exposure, to restore parts of the desert. We are still quite some way of this though. 

Why not dig some large canals through the middle of the country in order to bring in irrigation and transform the desert? I know that would be damaging to the creatures that live in the desert but...well, human progress knows no limits eh? (they're only desert creatures...not like they do much)

Why not dig some large canals through the middle of the country in order to bring in irrigation and transform the desert? I know that would be damaging to the creatures that live in the desert but...well, human progress knows no limits eh? (they're only desert creatures...not like they do much)

I think this would also make another problem sprout and that problem would be the modification of the habitat of the sea life on the borders of the country. The modification of this habitat is already very important as studies regarding the Great Barrier Reef have show in the last few years. The move you proposed would probably only serve our selfish purposes rather than be a solution to some envirommental issues

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

A US-based company, BioCarbon Engineering, is planning to fight the global problem of deforestation using drones to plant "one billion trees at a time".

Currently the rate of deforestation is completely unsustainable and impacting our environment in many ways including the widespread decline in species biodiversity, land degradation, soil erosion and potentially even the spread of harmful diseases such as Ebola.

They plan to plant up to 36,000 trees a day at around 15 percent of the cost of traditional methods. 

Science Alert did a good little overview of the project (they also share a lot of not very sound science so don't read all their articles as gospel):

http://www.sciencealert.com/new-project-plans-to-plant-one-billion-trees-a-year-using-drone-technology

Accidentally hit submit before finishing this...

where is this deforestation? cause its not in the usa. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I think this would also make another problem sprout and that problem would be the modification of the habitat of the sea life on the borders of the country. The modification of this habitat is already very important as studies regarding the Great Barrier Reef have show in the last few years. The move you proposed would probably only serve our selfish purposes rather than be a solution to some envirommental issues

I would just like to point out,

As the dominant species on this planet, the ones most capable of effecting the environment around us, what reason do we have not to alter said environment to best suit our needs? Barring illogical and non-existent moral qualms. (morality is a human concept, which has no physical affect on reality).

Yes, some creatures might die off in the process, but my answer to that is.....so? I care about my own species than I do about non-sentient ones.

Hmm, well I was thinking they would apply this to places like Russia, where deforestation is a serious problem and unchecked.

But how would they make sure their efforts aren't in vain? Manually planting trees allows for study of the area and a collection of data on the new trees' growth (whether they die or not) but if they just drone in some seeds, how do they make sure everything is working as they suspect it to?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

As the dominant species on this planet, the ones most capable of effecting the environment around us, what reason do we have not to alter said environment to best suit our needs? Barring illogical and non-existent moral qualms. (morality is a human concept, which has no physical affect on reality).

Yes, some creatures might die off in the process, but my answer to that is.....so? I care about my own species than I do about non-sentient ones.

I think the fundamental flaw in building large canals is that Australia is HUGE; it's the 6th biggest country in the world. Given that Australia's largest river (15th longest in the world) already goes through terrible phases of drought and floods, I could only imagine that trying to run canals to central Australia would pose similar problems.

In regards to preservation of other species - it is incredibly important as they play huge roles in maintaining the ecosystem such as preserving soil nutrients, decomposition of waste, maintenance of land integrity and fertilisation of plants. I think that in order preserve our own species, it's incredibly important to preserve others.

where is this deforestation? cause its not in the usa. 

There's 196 countries in the world, try looking a little further than your own. 

Hmm, well I was thinking they would apply this to places like Russia, where deforestation is a serious problem and unchecked.

But how would they make sure their efforts aren't in vain? Manually planting trees allows for study of the area and a collection of data on the new trees' growth (whether they die or not) but if they just drone in some seeds, how do they make sure everything is working as they suspect it to?

My guess is that could also use drones with cameras to collect some of that kind of data as well. For some of it they'd probably have ecologists doing basic field work from time to time and they'd do some basic soil analyses before sending out the drones to plant seeds. I'd say they would extrapolate their findings to other areas a lot as well. It's certainly not flawless but even saving time in the planting process and having field ecologists doing analyses post-planting would save a lot of time and money than doing it all manually. 

One small problem : If we plant all those tree ... Where are we getting water to raise them ? 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Don't trees take years to grow?

One small problem : If we plant all those tree ... Where are we getting water to raise them ? 

Umm duh... the sky? It practically cries rain, how do you think those tree's that we cut down grew to begin with?

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

You do know that transforming the landscape by making otherwise unirrigated place an irrigate done will only cause people to make more money and wlll probably not be really beneficial to people in general.If that's what you call suiting our needs, then whatever.

The only thing I would like to add is that we depend on the ecosystems that your proposition suggests. Our own sentient life is on the line when we harm the environment. Also,the number of species that would be lost would be significant. We are not talking about a few species here. We are probably talking about multiples thousands or tens of thousands. If that isn't significant enough I dont know what is.

I'd also like to mention that we as a species, the only reason why we preserve each other is due to morality because lets face it, our cultural background can easily overtake what little sympathy we have for other human beings. Morality is the only thing that keeps us from doing unredeemable harm to one another so it is only natural to make use of our morality towards life other life forms than us. Plus, taking in consideration that morality is a human thing does not mean we can tresspass it when a project of ours lifts considerations for species other than ourselves.

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Don't trees take years to grow?

Umm duh... the sky? It practically cries rain, how do you think those tree's that we cut down grew to begin with?

I mean in the dry season ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

I mean in the dry season ... 

Nature has a way, otherwise we wouldn't have trees.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Nature has a way, otherwise we wouldn't have trees.

Let's just hope it don't gets worst with every year , weather is getting more extreme ... I mean a strom in May ? ( That's the dry season for me )

If you're talking about planting in inland deserts, like in Australia, where it almost never rains... no idea that why I had the suggestion of potentially combining it with genetic engineering but that's a long way off. I think this really focuses on planting trees in areas that have been heaving logged for practices like clear-felling. I'd say they'd shoot the seed into the ground within a small capsule that would contain essential nutrients and after it gets to a certain stage, it should be fine to grow within the regular climate. If not, I guess either they shouldn't be planting there or it's an additional challenge.