Microsoft Might Upgrade the Xbox One's Hardware

EChondo

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/161094-microsoft-may-be-upgrading-the-specs-of-the-xbox-one-before-its-release

Additionally, the Xbone development team is asking designers what other changes to the console they’d like to see — which comes off as a little desperate, especially considering the hardware is supposed to release in around four months.

Can you see this happening? Of course it can't be anything to major. Maybe adding more RAM, increasing the clock rates, etc. They can't be changing out GPU's or CPU's right now, you'd think they would be in production right now.

What would you guys think of the Xbox One having a beefier GPU? Or do you think they are just adding little changes to make it more of an incentive buy?

At this point Microsoft is just panicking and scratching their heads going "what the hell can we throw at this thing to at least make a LITTLE bit of profit." Unless they can overtake the PS4 is hardware, the thing is still $100 more expensive.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Don't know if I see it actually happening, but it definitely would be cool if they did. It would give me a better reason to spend more money on a console that I still don't agree with the mandatory Kinect requirement. One upgrade that would definitely be necessary for them to be extremely competitive would be upgrading the GPU for sure. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: GA-H61N-USB3 | RAM: Corsair 8GB 1333 MHz Video CardEVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2GB DDR5

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430 | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: 2X Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm | Monitor Asus PB238Q & Asus PB278Q

Mouse: Lenovo N50 | Keyboard: Apple Pro Keyboard | Operating Systems: Hackintosh OS X 10.8.5 & Windows 8.1

Too late...

post-2523-0-57624400-1373859511.jpg

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Don't know if I see it actually happening, but it definitely would be cool if they did. It would give me a better reason to spend more money on a console that I still don't agree with the mandatory Kinect requirement. One upgrade that would definitely be necessary for them to be extremely competitive would be upgrading the GPU for sure. 

I think that's the major problem that everyone has. I would buy a Xbox One at launch(or as soon as possible) if it didn't require the Kinect.

They are losing A LOT of sales solely on that alone.

Honestly, this is real bad for Microsoft. The company has put out efforts to make a decent system and they made pure scrap. I see this as an attempt to keep the XBOX franchise alive. If they do change hardware, I would see a HUGE impact on their own part as a company. If they do make changes, the most they can do is probably

•  Increase clock speeds on either CPU or GPU.
  • Add a different GPU completely.
  • Offer games at launch for FREE (Probably arcade)
  • Switch RAM speeds
  • HDD swap 
  • Better networking hardware for Wi-Fi
  • Introduce new tech such as Thunderbolt
  • Offer headset with bundle
  • Improved thermal system (like fans or heatsink, mabye even liquid cooling?)

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I really only see them possibly upgrading the graphics card and increasing the clock speed if the thermals allow it....we don't want red rings v2 on our hands

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: GA-H61N-USB3 | RAM: Corsair 8GB 1333 MHz Video CardEVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2GB DDR5

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430 | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: 2X Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm | Monitor Asus PB238Q & Asus PB278Q

Mouse: Lenovo N50 | Keyboard: Apple Pro Keyboard | Operating Systems: Hackintosh OS X 10.8.5 & Windows 8.1

I really only see them possibly upgrading the graphics card and increasing the clock speed if the thermals allow it....we don't want red rings v2 on our hands

Good point. Might change cooling system?

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Good point. Might change cooling system?

That would require them to redesign the internals of the system and cost them a boat load of money. I don't see them doing something as drastic as that. 

But then again, if they are redesigning the internals they might as well go to town on the outside and make it not look like a 90's VCR

I don't see them changing any hardware that affects the actual platform for development of games. That said, It couldn't be CPU or GPU for the most part, unless its minor tweeks, which wouldn't be changing hardware at all!

They would be changing something that would, in the consumers eye, look fancy and make you want it. So, more ram is a possibility (as a lot of people don't know what the numbers mean), HDD could change, however... What to? Better Wi-Fi hardware would be nice to see for those dreadful lag fests...

Honestly, I don't see them making major changes. This thing uses an integrated graphics solution... So they're not going to change the APU... It'll be a minor PR trick as far as I can predict. Games are already being developed (Major games for launch titles) and they're not going to make them restart with 4-5 months left.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

That would require them to redesign the internals of the system and cost them a boat load of money. I don't see them doing something as drastic as that. 

Maybe better cooler such as Copper fins? Or New Fans with same size but better design, like ASUS's new fan.

HDD could change, however... What to?

They could add internal storage like flash, like what Apple does. So it's an internal on-board flash storage and then have a mechanical hard drive. Currently they only have 500GB, they could upgrade it to 1TB-2TB(which would be AWESOME), but I'd like 60GB of flash storage and a 500GB hard drive so I could store my save games on the flash storage and have my 500GB for my games.

Honestly, They have probably began production. They expect to sell millions in the first month so I would think they would get a jump on production. Don't see this happening. Besides the Devs have already been working on optimizations with the hardware, so that would set them back. Once again I don't see this happening.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I don't see hardware changes being an option at this point.

I'm sure the console is already being manufactured so they can meet their "demand" at launch. To change now would require a full halt in production to allow time for more R&D then start production up again with new specs and miss their launch date by a mile. Microsoft wont miss their current launch date. It would be suicide if they had to push it back months beyond the PS4 launch window. The PS4 has more power, it's cheaper, and could potentially be launching months before the new xbox if Microsoft decides to re-think their hardware... I think not.

This is going to be the same thing as the promised HDDvd player. It's too late in development for them to change the console internally, any hardware upgrades will have to be external add-on solutions.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I don't see hardware changes being an option at this point.

I'm sure the console is already being manufactured so they can meet their "demand" at launch. To change now would require a full halt in production to allow time for more R&D then start production up again with new specs and miss their launch date by a mile. Microsoft wont miss their current launch date. It would be suicide if they had to push it back months beyond the PS4 launch window. The PS4 has more power, it's cheaper, and could potentially be launching months before the new xbox if Microsoft decides to re-think their hardware... I think not.

This is going to be the same thing as the promised HDDvd player. It's too late in development for them to change the console internally, any hardware upgrades will have to be external add-on solutions.

Yeah, this. Its way to late for a hardware change.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

They are losing A LOT of sales solely on that alone.

Says who? I refuse to purchase Kinect for my 360 because it is simply a gimmicky toy. Now that it will be included with every system, and devs will be able to make better use of it, I am quite happy to shell out some extra money for it.

OT: If anything changed, it would be the GPU. The amount of RAM is fine, the CPU is fine, but the GPU could use either a higher clock, or more cores.

Says who? I refuse to purchase Kinect for my 360 because it is simply a gimmicky toy. Now that it will be included with every system, and devs will be able to make better use of it, I am quite happy to shell out some extra money for it.

OT: If anything changed, it would be the GPU. The amount of RAM is fine, the CPU is fine, but the GPU could use either a higher clock, or more cores.

Cores and Clocks......cores and clocks....

They won't buy it because of the NSA thing going around.

I personally won't buy the next Xbox because I don't want to be forced to use a gimmick. The Kinect is still a gimmick because only developers that make games exclusive to the Xbox One will be able to make full use of it. Developers that make multi-platform games won't want to waste their time developing something for one console only.

If you're only a Xbox gamer, then go ahead and buy it.

Does it really need more RAM? Well actually maybe the Xbox does since what it only has 4gb or 6gb usable.

A better heat sink maybe with higher clock speeds is something I'd like to see. And an expandable HDD keep it at the 500gb and allow for expandable upgrade. Because if they increase it they will be charging to much for it. The same way Phone companies charge an extra $100 for double the drive space.

Throw in an all in one liquid cooler and kick the clock speed up :)

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I personally won't buy the next Xbox because I don't want to be forced to use a gimmick. The Kinect is still a gimmick because only developers that make games exclusive to the Xbox One will be able to make full use of it. Developers that make multi-platform games won't want to waste their time developing something for one console only.

Again, says who? I get the feeling that the same people that put a sticker over their laptop camera are going to be the people avoiding the One for that reason in particular.

You're already wrong. http://www.geek.com/games/dice-confirms-battlefield-4-on-xbox-one-will-use-kinect-1561654/

I have a gaming PC, a PS3, a 360, and even a Wii. I primarily game on a 360, yes, but I do dabble in other platforms.

it would be amazing if they had sata3 and ssd in xbox one 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

It isn't hard to develop little addons for a game based on one piece of hardware. Look at multi-platform WiiU games. The integration with the tablet is there. Not to mention I'm pretty sure BF4 uses Kinect. 

it would be amazing if they had sata3 and ssd in xbox one 

Why not just use USB 3? I would think the 10 Gbit/s USB 3 would be included in next-gen consoles.