Will the free copy of Windows 10 be an ISO or an update?

minimoose

So I have Windows 8.1 OEM (Yes, OEM) on my PC and I'm wondering if I'll be able to do a clean installed of Windows 10 when it comes out, or if it will be an update, I guess the question is: is the free copy of Windows 10 a seperate copy or an add-on to Windows 8.1?

definitely not an update

too many parts of the OS have been remade for it to be a simple update

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It might come downloadable through the Windows Store like what Microsoft did with Windows 8.1, where it probably downloads an ISO and does an "upgrade".

definitely not an update

Pretty sure I heard you will be able to simply download a windows update that will make your win 8.1 into 10.

Well, why do updates have to be simple? ISOs aren't exactly convenient for the average consumer

Windows 8 to 8.1 was an update through the Windows Store AFAIK I know. I don't see why 10 wouldn't be different

that would be an OS upgrade, not an update...

updates are the things you install from control panel every tuesday

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No one can guarantee it because as of Thursday, pricing, licensing and release dates have still not been set according to someone I know who is part of the team that decides these things.

Could also be pushed through Windows Update, like you can do on Windows 7 to test Windows 10...
After that, if you just want a "clean" OS, you do a system refresh within Windows 10, which is essentially formating, deleting any files that isn't for the current OS on the main drive. I'm doing that whenever a new Build of Windows 10 is released, I get the new build through windows update (on win10), it install itself and when it's done I do a system restore to factory settings, while selecting the delete all files option.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

you realize 8.1 is not very different from 8, right?

Spoiler

you realize 8.1 is not very different from 8, right?

Well, apple can push OTA updates just fine I believe. No reason they can't just send the OS as a massive "update"

Only free for 1 year

As long as you redeem it within a year, you're good.

definitely not an update

Right now you can go to Windows 10 Beta with a "simple" update.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

That doesn't matter. It clearly marked update when you said it wasn't an update, but rather, an upgrade.

Also, it's not like the source of Windows 10 differs from Windows 8.1. Both on DOS. You can also get Windows 10 beta with an update right now...

sure, let me just go to windows update in control panel and install windows 8 because thats how it works apparently according to you

Spoiler

Well, it'll be a little bit of both.

I never ONCE claimed it was through Control Panel. You did, not me lol

well then why did you quote my first post when i CLEARLY MENTIONED WINDOWS UPDATES FROM CONTROL PANEL???

Spoiler

So I have Windows 8.1 OEM (Yes, OEM) on my PC and I'm wondering if I'll be able to do a clean installed of Windows 10 when it comes out, or if it will be an update, I guess the question is: is the free copy of Windows 10 a seperate copy or an add-on to Windows 8.1?

definitely not an update

Only free for 1 year

It might come downloadable through the Windows Store like what Microsoft did with Windows 8.1, where it probably downloads an ISO and does an "upgrade".

Pretty sure I heard you will be able to simply download a windows update that will make your win 8.1 into 10.

2 things guys. 1. I'm very sure that there will be a button to press that will simply upgrade you to windows 10 from windows 7 or 8.1 within  a year and your files will be safe I believe. 2. IDK but MAYBE you will be able to put in your existing product key into the microsoft website and get an iso. I don't know if you will be able to though and I don't think that will happen. 

definitely not an update

completely false as you can already download as an update.

completely false as you can already download as an update.

You need to learn to read all the replies to a topic before just replying to first thing you see. Because you're wrong.

Spoiler

My guess is that there will be a page on windows.com where you can claim your product key. Then you can download the ESD (encrypted WIM, which is the main part of an ISO) via Windows Update and let it install.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

-_-

if you READ the replies, you would have realized that by "update" i was talking about the windows updates

not an "os upgrade" which is what full OS updates are called by microsoft

and no, you cannot go into windows update in control panel and install a new OS

thats not how it works

Spoiler

-_-

if you READ the replies, you would have realized that by "update" i was talking about the windows updates

not an "os upgrade" which is what full OS updates are called by microsoft

and no, you cannot go into windows update in control panel and install a new OS

thats not how it works

Update, upgrade, whatever you wanna call it, the fact is that you can do it from the control panel. If you don't want to believe that for whatever reason, I don't know what to tell you lol.

Most likely an ISO that will allow you to boot and upgrade your existing install.

definitely not an update

Well, why do updates have to be simple? ISOs aren't exactly convenient for the average consumer

Windows 8 to 8.1 was an update through the Windows Store AFAIK I know. I don't see why 10 wouldn't be different

Windows-10-Upgrade-Path-Matrix-600x477.j

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home