The Apple watch costs about 85$ to make

RagnarokDel

Blame inflation. This is just dumb.

All companies want to make a profit. If they sold it at the cost of manufacturing, they would lose money due to R&D and marketing costs. By selling it at the price of $350, they can get back their lost money back.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Well that is what patents are for so people cannot steal your ideas.

You can't patent everything

You seem to think apple just go to Foxxcon, pick parts off the shelf and ask them to put them together.. which is 100% NOT what happens

K

SNIP

You can try :), you can patent designs, manufacturing processes and other things like that

obviously it doenst always work, heck look at the recent thing with Jaguar/Land Rover and China !! 

I just wanted  you to explain further by what you meant.. you seem to think the parts manufacturers spend money developing parts for apple.. instead of Apple paying them do develop things for Apple - which costs.. A LOT of money

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You can't patent everything

Patenting patenting.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

LOL this is a joke. Everyone knows that Apple only sells supreme quality products. And they care about the their business. They care about me. Samsung on the other hand sells way OVERPRICED products and makes them in gold because they think that is what is important... loosers.

Obvious troll or just stupid?

Obvious troll or just stupid?

How could this be a troll? Me and apple are just best buddys. you just jelious.

My PC/ CPU: Intel i5-4690k with ColerMaster Hyper Evo 212 / Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti / OS: Windows8.1 / RAM: G.Skill Ares Series 2x4 1600Mhz / Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM Optical Drive: ASUS 24B1ST / Network: TP-Link WN881ND /////////////////////////// If I fail to respond to your questions, please message me! Thank you

instead of Apple paying them do develop things for Apple - which costs.. A LOT of money

Like they payed GT advanced?

Meh, most mobile device have a large markup. For example the Note 4 has a bom cost of about  $260 and sells for over $700. I would like to see the cost of the edition watch(dumb name I know) for how much the gold adds towards the $10,000 cost.

How could this be a troll? Me and apple are just best buddys. you just jelious.

Alright, seems like I got my answer.

Like they payed GT advanced?

GT signed a contract with Apple to produce a display, less than one year later they filed for Bankruptcy - that agreement cost near $600 million !!! 

the company fucked up - Apple bailed

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

That gold definitely adds like 5k...

No, look up how much gold it is and the current price of gold. No where near 5k, also apple did some cheap move where because gold k is measured by weight ratio they used pure gold and something else that is lighter than normally used dropping the total amount of actual gold needed. Smart move for them but just makes me despise the Edition more.

No, look up how much gold it is and the current price of gold. No where near 5k, also apple did some cheap move where because gold k is measured by weight ratio they used pure gold and something else that is lighter than normally used dropping the total amount of actual gold needed. Smart move for them but just makes me despise the Edition more.

They did it to produce a stronger gold that wont scratch or dent as easily as normal gold

the edition model is more a status / aesthetic thing

LOL this is a joke. Everyone knows that Apple only sells supreme quality products. And they care about the their business. They care about me. Samsung on the other hand sells way OVERPRICED products and makes them in gold because they think that is what is important... loosers.

not really samsung has been taking really thin profit margins lately thats why they sell more phones but make less profit

Remember guys that bringing a product to market costs a lot more than just the manufacturing & material costs.

Products have years of Research and Development and this first stage is the most expensive part of any high quality device in both hardware and software.

Then there is product testing after that securing manufacturing facilities to make the product at a rate in which can supply the demand.

Developing the services backbone and infrastructure.

Marketing to ensure that the product sells (Not an issue for Apple but meh).

Then there is the after care, warranty costs companies quite a lot of money especially in a first generation product.

There is just too much money plowed into these different stages to be able to count (Unless Apple told us directly).

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

After hearing that the Edition edition is not a true metal alloy, I the 10k model costs about 2k to make ;)

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

who cares...none of that includes the price to R&D it and yes they will spend serious money on R&D. nor does it include the cost to make them or how much is lost from faulty watches that never even leave the factory.  oh and news flash, if you think tat apple are the only ones to make huge sums of money from selling there products then your wrong. sit you want to see the markup in the service industry!...it simple if you dont like the product dont buy it.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

OK, I think a further discussion is pointless.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0J31W620141119

no reason to take that tone

This is just one companies word against another. Maybe apple were the bastards and did this deed to shut them down etc I can probably believe that

Regardless, I was making the point that it costs hundreds of millions to have these parts manufactured, a BOM costs is only scratching the surface of what a device costs from A-Z - costs of parts are just a small part of the overall costs

RD and marketing were not added to this, and those are genuine costs. Also, the BOM cost is much lower for Apple. They don't buy in the hundreds of thousands, they buy in the millions.

They can get prices that most brands can only dream of. So the component cost might very well be lower, but the overall cost may be much higher. RD'ing a product like this isn't cheap. On any level. Those costs can run into the hundreds of millions just for new production lines, new material sources; whatever. Stuff adds up quick when you are launching a new product that has no existing infrastructure for production. 

who cares...none of that includes the price to R&D it and yes they will spend serious money on R&D. nor does it include the cost to make them or how much is lost from faulty watches that never even leave the factory.  oh and news flash, if you think tat apple are the only ones to make huge sums of money from selling there products then your wrong. sit you want to see the markup in the service industry!...it simple if you dont like the product dont buy it.

Well they use Chinese workers (cheap labour), so not much more to build 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

I half expected it to be even less than that.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Well they use Chinese workers (cheap labour), so not much more to build 

You don't understand how research and development works do you, or why its so expensive? 

They did it to produce a stronger gold that wont scratch or dent as easily as normal gold

Okay but they could use a material close in weight?

Okay but they could use a material close in weight?

I am not a metallurgist so I have no idea, its a completely new metal they have created

"gold" etc (esepcially used in jewelry) has no real worth only the market value placed on it, the same could be said for whatever apple has developed

Yeah, they made it more scratch resistant by not putting as much gold in it.

It has "18k" gold that has less actual gold than normal 18k gold.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.