The Apple watch costs about 85$ to make

RagnarokDel

That shiny new Apple Watch Sport may have set you back $350, but from a hardware and manufacturing standpoint it only cost Apple $83.70.

According to a teardown carried out by IHS Technology the actual hardware costs of the 38mm Apple Watch Sport are only about 24 percent of the manufacturer's suggested retail price, giving it the lowest hardware costs compared to retail price of any Apple product.

"It is fairly typical for a first-generation product rollout to have a higher retail price versus hardware cost," said Kevin Keller, senior principal analyst-materials and cost benchmarking services for IHS Technology. "While retail prices always tend to decrease over time, the ratio for the Apple Watch is lower than what we saw for the iPhone 6 Plus and other new Apple products, and could be of great benefit to Apple's bottom line if sales match the interest the Apple Watch has generated."

2015-04-3017-12-32.jpg

A view of the parts in questions.

2015-04-3017-13-00.jpg

Source: http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-watch-costs-under-85-to-make/

I'm not surprised.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I'm pretty sure they have other costs. So yeah while Apples gross profit figure is probably insanely high, they will also have a fair amount of expenses. What I'd really be interesting in seeing is Apples advertising expenses.

How about the Watch: Edition though  :)

That gold definitely adds like 5k...

I'm pretty sure they have other costs. So yeah while Apples gross profit figure is probably insanely high, they will also have a fair amount of expenses. What I'd really be interesting in seeing is Apples advertising expenses.

yeah I mean imagine what it cost designed new metals, and a rounded sapphire display etc! and all the prototyping

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

As soon as I saw this I was not surprise in the least bit. Most of that money for the R&D and even then they are probably making 20% profit.

With R&D, this isn't surprising nor should it be.

I wonder how much smaller the margin on the sapphire variant is, and how much bigger the margin is on the gold variant.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Blame inflation. This is just dumb.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Also they have the ongoing costs of maintaining servers for things like the various stores and iCloud. I'm sure they still make a fair amount of profit though.

LOL this is a joke. Everyone knows that Apple only sells supreme quality products. And they care about the their business. They care about me. Samsung on the other hand sells way OVERPRICED products and makes them in gold because they think that is what is important... loosers.

My PC/ CPU: Intel i5-4690k with ColerMaster Hyper Evo 212 / Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti / OS: Windows8.1 / RAM: G.Skill Ares Series 2x4 1600Mhz / Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM Optical Drive: ASUS 24B1ST / Network: TP-Link WN881ND /////////////////////////// If I fail to respond to your questions, please message me! Thank you

not really surprised. In our current market labor is expensive and parts are cheap. go back in time 50-60 years and it was just the opposite. People with no understanding of business will squeal in anger when they find out they bought something with a 1000% markup, but fail to consider that there is overhead everywhere that the customer is not made aware of. Granted, Apple have pretty high profit margins anyway, so it looks a whole lot worse with their products.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

and a rounded sapphire display etc!

There's no sapphire glass it's just the cheap sports version.

There's no sapphire glass it's just the cheap sports version.

I know, I meant the cost of building and developing the sapphire for the high end models, and creating a new tougher gold etc that stuff costs money

obviously they are making a decent profit still, but BOM costs are only a small part of what a product costs to produce

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I know, I meant the cost of building and developing the sapphire for the high end models, and creating a new tougher gold etc that stuff costs money

I think that's all done by Apple's suppliers thus they aren't paying a single cent for the the initial development.

The development costs should be included in the parts costs.

I think that's all done by Apple's suppliers thus they aren't paying a single cent for the the initial development.

That makes no sense... the products are being built to apples specs and designs - they are not just buying products off the shelf (well some tiny components maybe, but everything else is paid for by Apple

want to know how much is the profit margin is after all the other costs

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I heard Apple didn't even spent a cent developing the Watch.

They just bought it from Samsung and now they are selling a $85 gadget for $350 and make $265 per watch!

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

want to know how much is the profit margin is after all the other costs

wait some months and look up apples financial reports.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

wait some months and look up apples financial reports.

was thinking about direct costs like how much R&D and advertising was put into this

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

the products are being built to apples specs and designs - they are not just buying products off the shelf

That makes no sense... the suppliers can use the gained know how to produce products for other companies which was initially payed by apple.

Win-Win

I guess that's what android wear devices were missing: 600 bucks per device on average of advertisement so people actually know about your fucking product. That's the one thing that others need to learn about to compete with Apple: marketing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That's pretty acceptable I would say.

I hope nobody thinks that the difference between manufacturing cost and selling price is the profit.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

id rather know how much they spent on advertising 

That makes no sense... the suppliers can use the gained know how to produce products for other companies which was initially payed by apple.

Win-Win

Well that is what patents are for so people cannot steal your ideas. Apple developer the design and manufacturing process, and pay lots (millions if not billions) to get the stuff designed, R&D, get the tooling and manufacturing in place etc, sure lots of it is done by 3rd parties but all using apples designs which Apple pay them to use etc

You seem to think apple just go to Foxxcon,  pick parts off the shelf and ask them to put them together.. which is 100% NOT what happens

I guess that's what android wear devices were missing: 600 bucks per device on average of advertisement so people actually know about your fucking product. That's the one thing that others need to learn about to compete with Apple: marketing.

Well if nobody knows about your device, or nobody cares about it, nobody will buy it - specs are meaningless if nobody wants it