Worth playing Mass Effect 1?

Gdourado

Hello,

So, a couple of months ago I played and finished Mass Effect 3.

I got a great deal for the game at Origin and bought it.

I really enjoyed the game and clocked over 30 hours on it,

Now, after reading how Mass Effect 2 is the best game of the series I picked it up and am going to start playing it.

Now, I already did the things on the reverse order, as my first mass effect game was number 3.

With that in mind, should I jump right to mass effect 2, or is it worth to play number one first?

Cheers!

Hello,

So, a couple of months ago I played and finished Mass Effect 3.

I got a great deal for the game at Origin and bought it.

I really enjoyed the game and clocked over 30 hours on it,

Now, after reading how Mass Effect 2 is the best game of the series I picked it up and am going to start playing it.

Now, I already did the things on the reverse order, as my first mass effect game was number 3.

With that in mind, should I jump right to mass effect 2, or is it worth to play number one first?

Cheers!

Hmm is it worth playing a game that was good enough to merit making two more? Yes, yes you should

My article on subscription based services and why they are the way forward http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382625-what-the-future-holds/

Hmm is it worth playing a game that was good enough to merit making two more? Yes, yes you should

Dead Space.

For the sake of the story, it is worth playing from the first game. You probally also want to use the save import function, as that lets you experience the full impact of your choices.

That is, if you can live with the graphics of the first game (some cant).

Definitely play ME1, it's a great game. The combat is less evolved from the other two but the rest of the game is excellent. Especially the Mako. Love the Mako.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Mass effect 2, gameplay was so much better.

Mass effeçt 2 was too streamlined for my taste.

Its like they ripped out a lot of the rpg aspects as the games went on.

Sound hipsterish

But a lot of Mass effect 1 was just meandering around not doing anything in particular, but the Mako was amazing. Never really cared for RPG's so i didnt care about the removal of some RPG aspects. 

I'd say go for it. But the gameplay definitely got a lot better in ME2, so temper your expectations. Except the Mako, probably

I couldnt get into it, im a MGS fan but the cinimatics were just WAY to long winded for me, combat frankly is awful with I found 0 strategy.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I agree.  They dumbed down the level of choice in what skills and power ups your character could gain in the last two games.

I also missed the ability to use more than one skill without having to wait for a little cool down period every time.  A reason why I prefer ME1 combat over 2 and 3.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

Sound hipsterish

But a lot of Mass effect 1 was just meandering around not doing anything in particular, but the Mako was amazing. Never really cared for RPG's so i didnt care about the removal of some RPG aspects. 

tumblr_mhd6kj1ojE1r5pjb3o2_500.gif

It's definately worth playing. It might be frustrating but once you get past that it's a pretty good story.

You'll feel a lot more for the characters later too

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I say yes, it is worth playing it. I started with ME3 and then ME2, and then finally ME1 and after doing such I really regretted not getting ME1 and playing it first. You might regret it too, so I say "Get and play ME first". :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

It had the best RPG elements but the gunplay was weird, it's worth playing that's for sure.

ME2 > ME1 > ME3

144Hz goodness

ME1 is worth playing, just bare in mind that its is more roleplaying oriented(reading) and about establishing a universe.  The controls are pretty horrific, particularly when coming from ME3.  Additionally it's graphics are noticeably lower than ME3&2.  If you grab the texture packs for ME1 it's much better.

All that said, yep it's a pretty great game and the DLC for it is free now to boot.

Yes.

It's how the story starts and I think it's the best of the three. Gameplay & mechanics are a bit stiff but interesting. I really can't see why they had to go all Call of Duty with bringing back ammo clip-nonsense to it. ME2 story was a bit meh but I like the hard choices in the end and it has very good DLCs.

Worth playing, but outdated compared to the other two. Still all are great games.

Shame you went in the reverse order as a big part of ME is the story progression and crafting your own journey.

The only thing I did was play mass effect 3. I bought 2 and installed it, but haven't started yet.

Still trying to finish the Witcher 2 first.

Cheers

Following the advice, I just purchased Mass Effect 1 today.

Will star playing. Let's see how it goes. :)

Cheers!

The BEST way to experience mass effect is to play the trilogy in order. It is so satisfying to see even the most insignificant decision in the smallest side quest in the first game have an impact on the last.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Just started ME1. Went through the first mission already.

Graphics are inferior to 3, but still solid. They don't ruin the experience in any way.

After I am done with 1 and 2, I might replay 3.

Yes, ME1 is in my opinion the best game story wise. I fell love with it. Play it.

Just started ME1. Went through the first mission already.

Graphics are inferior to 3, but still solid. They don't ruin the experience in any way.

After I am done with 1 and 2, I might replay 3.

Well it did come out in like 2007 lol

And you probably will replay, I've replayed the trilogy at least 3 times and I intend to again when the next game comes out.