Ham Radio used in Nepal Earthqukes (And general Ham Radio Info)

d3sl91

15846103940_873c0621d3_z-640x427.jpg

In the wake of the recent Earthquakes in Nepal, Ham radio has become working method of communication, when modern methods are failing. 

Now, you may not know much of Ham radio, or, what it is used for. In most cases, it's just another fun, geeky hobby that has roots back to the very first methods of wireless communication. But most operators are also trained in responding to emergencies, and have stations set up in many of your local hospitals and government buildings, to aid in communication systems failures. 

Thankfully, this has been the case in most of the recent Natural Disasters, where operators jump in, and volunteer to provide rescue workers and local governments, a way to communicate. 

In Nepal:

Still, some volunteers are trying to impose order on the chaos. After the quake, which shook cities in India as well as Nepal, volunteer ham radio operators from India traveled to the region to relay messages from areas whose communications infrastructure is broken or overloaded. Ham radio, also called amateur radio, is a means of sending and receiving messages over a specific radio frequency, and it is often used in disaster situations because it operates well off the grid; transceivers can be powered by generators and set up just about anywhere.

“The situation in Nepal is getting worse, as tremors continue to strike every hour at a magnitude of 4.7,” Bhide said. The government of Nepal has asked all people to stay out of buildings, as damage is expected to increase. Due to the conditions, emergency communication with 9N1 stations came to a standstill; no communication was possible overnight as the earthquake demolished the building where emergency communication gear was installed.”

Ham Radio is not just "old tech" as many will say. Most setups have computers (or multiple computers) as integral components. Remotely-controlled tranceivers are placed in other areas, while operaters use VOIP systems to transmit. Most flagship tranceivers these days have LCD displays, some with touchscreen capabilities. Now, they aren't all huge either. Huge strides have been taken to result in units the size of most car stereo units, that have full capabilities to do anything any of these larger units can.

post-49487-0-50354600-1430329109.jpg post-49487-0-74520000-1430329187.jpg

SDR, or, Software Defined radio are radios that are completely defined by the computer they are hooked up to, to receive signals. There are several units out now, that utilize Raspberry Pi, and even basic android phones to operate.

post-49487-0-23348000-1430329247.jpg post-49487-0-43391100-1430329267.gif

This is a newer section of this hobby, but has come from a long line of utilizing "consumer tech" to a new level. Because many router's operate on frequencies that are shared with radio operators, we have been able to create wireless 2.4GHz Mesh systems, using the infamous Linksys WRT-54G Routers. Resulting in long distance links etc We also have an IRLP system in place, that links local "repeaters" to other repeaters around the world, via the internet. This results in a $40 handheld radio, and the lowest-level licence, to be able to talk to folks all around the world, easily. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Radio_Linking_Project

MESH2_2.jpg

If anyone is interested in HAM or Amateur Radio, just reply to this thread, or feel free to PM me. 

Info on Ham Radio:
http://www.arrl.org/emergency-radio-org

Sources:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/28/after-nepal-earthquake-people-turn-to-ham-radio/

http://www.arrl.org/news/amateur-radio-volunteers-in-nepal-india-continue-to-aid-earthquake-response

Other LTT Hams:

@Delons @Strando123 @[member=ionbasa] @Createinator

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Hi from the UK! My Call Sign is MW3 IHX and I got my licence a good few years back so just trying to get back into the game at the moment.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

This is why radio should always be a thing for all countries. Far easier to spread messages in disaster scenarios than it is to count on people having working phones or computers or what have you. 

Hi from the UK! My Call Sign is MW3 IHX and I got my licence a good few years back so just trying to get back into the game at the moment.

Same for me. Since starting college, full time job, and getting married soon - it's sometimes hard to even turn the radio on for more than a couple minutes every few days :)

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I did a Winter Class on getting my HAM Licence but I got sick and by the time I wasn't feeling terrible I couldn't pass the test

Because he had a hard drive.

Haha, that car mounted one looks sweet.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I need to get a HAM radio setup. Gonna be useful when society collapses.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I have been a ham since i was like 8, got my general now, ki6fky

a cool geek thing they do is this event called field day, check it out on youtube, quite cool,

"If a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."   -Martin Luther King, Jr

I need to get a HAM radio setup. Gonna be useful when society collapses.

Just set up a meshnet, far more useful

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

KJ6ACR here! Got my licence when I was wee lad in high school thanks to my father's help and support (He is also a Ham and did telecommunications for Nato forces in Europe for quite a while).  I'm glad to see the HA community helping out in time of need. 

This isn't anything new though, radio amateurs have been doing this for years.

I encourage all HAMs in the US to get involved with their regional ARES and RACES organization if possible. At least where I live (Southern California) weve been preparing for an earthquake dubbed 'the big one' which may hit at any time.

Something as simple as getting your technical class licence, a icom 75 watt transceiver, and a j-pole antenna, would cost under $500 and comes in handy in times of emergencies when local phone and mobile networks are down. 

It is also a great hobby. I'm trying to get into packet radio at the moment, and also upgrading my license this summer.

For those of you who cannot afford an actual VHF/HF transceiver, there are other options available. One of them is EchoLink. EchoLink requires an user to have an amature licence and basically works like skype, but for radio. You can connect to local repeaters or towers (or halfway around the globe) and use your PC microphone and headphones instead of buying an actual radio. It is great way to start and requires the least amount of money.

Hope of DXing some of you here on the forum! Maybe get some QSLs going. Would be fun in my opinion.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.