Experiences with non-techies

Well if you have so little ram that your computer is not capable of running 2 programs at one. When I upgraded my old laptop from 2 gigs to 8 gigs it was noticebly faster

Damn straight, my Mum's old desktop with Vista took 20 minutes from turn on to get to a usable state and you couldn't run one tab.

1GB of RAM...

I put in 4GBs and it's still in use today.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

why does everyone think that adding ram will make a computer faster?!?!??

going from 512mb to 4 on windows 7 makes it fast :D

why does everyone think that adding ram will make a computer faster?!?!??

Because when you add more RAM the computer doesn't have to use as much page file on your hard drive, which is basically virtual RAM on your hard drive.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

going from 512mb to 4 on windows 7 makes it fast :D

How on earth did it even work before???

How on earth did it even work before???

Just barely

my friend scans every file after downloading it and i am like i have downloaded it from a trusted source also ur antivirus will tell u if it s a virus when ull run it but he wont believe me at all

also his cpu is running on 88 C and gpu on 60 C he wont let me change thermal paste and keeps on saying my pc sucks ... always having BSOD windows suck !

88 °C and 60°C are pretty descent temps for a normal pc.

Worked for company (custom made thingies for big events like open air, concert, big conference centers...):

made as a part of a bigger system a ~ 1.5 to 2 inch thick cable with 40 fully shielded / seperated channels, 100m long (~ 300 feet) on a drum / reel

It was used for an event (concert) in a middle ages build hall, with correspondingly old parquett, all under governmental architectural conservation protection.

We have a law that says you have to fixate such a kind of cable, if it is arranged through the visitors area (auditorium), so no one will trap over it. Usually done with Gaffa tape (duct tape) or similar.

Guess what 3 University students did, as they couldn't find a tape? (solution is soon coming)

Complain = channels not working, massive internal contacts / short circuits.

I started to investigate, pulled the cable a little bit.... what.... there is a fat nail sticking through it?

It gets even better:

they hammered ~ 95 hand forged (old) nails each ~ meter (each 3 feet) through the cable into the 'protected' parquett.

Hand forged as in at least 5 times as thick as usual for that long / strong kind of nails. 

Till the nails were out again (not so simple) the wholes were big enough to put my pinky in them!

So they not only destroyed the cable, they also damaged the several hundreds year old parquett!

And all 3 were sober, no alcohol or other kind of.... influence involved.

And then complain about short circuits? :blink:

Worked for company (custom made thingies for big events like open air, concert, big conference centers...):

made as a part of a bigger system a ~ 1.5 to 2 inch thick cable with 40 fully shielded / seperated channels, 100m long (~ 300 feet) on a drum / reel

It was used for an event (concert) in a middle ages build hall, with correspondingly old parquett, all under governmental architectural conservation protection.

We have a law that says you have to fixate such a kind of cable, if it is arranged through the visitors area (auditorium), so no one will trap over it. Usually done with Gaffa tape (duct tape) or similar.

Guess what 3 University students did, as they couldn't find a tape? (solution is soon coming)

Complain = channels not working, massive internal contacts / short circuits.

I started to investigate, pulled the cable a little bit.... what.... there is a fat nail sticking through it?

It gets even better:

they hammered ~ 95 hand forged (old) nails each ~ meter (each 3 feet) through the cable into the 'protected' parquett.

Hand forged as in at least 5 times as thick as usual for that long / strong kind of nails.

Till the nails were out again (not so simple) the wholes were big enough to put my pinky in them!

So they not only destroyed the cable, they also damaged the several hundreds year old parquett!

And all 3 were sober, no alcohol or other kind of.... influence involved.

And then complain about short circuits? :blink:

There should have been an IQ test that humans needed to pass before their mother could give birth to them...

Only problem is that the human race would die out...

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Not the 88C number. That's a terrible temperature.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

My computer when I plug in a flash drive to a USB 3.0 port:

mdMmdaq.png

Once upon a time there was an internet noob that said "how do u get ur profile picture to move?"

Just noticed--Emma Blackery. Nice.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

My Friend: I'm buying a gaming PC! OMG!

Me: Cool! Me too. Make sure to get a high end card for nice performance!

My Friend: Mmm! I know! I heard of this really tall-end (what?) card called the FeGorce GXT Titan!

Me: Umm, it's GeForce GTX Titan

My Friend: Yeah sorry, who cares...

Me: Agreed.

My Friend: Will it get two hundred FPS on Minecraft?

Me: WAT.

My Friend: Look, I was going to buy 3 SLCrossfire (what?) GXT Titans for ultimate perf...

Me: You only need like a GTX 770 for 300 FPS

My Friend: Really?

Me: Yes. If you want to run some more games though, a YouTuber I watch named LinusTechTips said that the 780 is better for the price.

My Friend: Cool!

THE NEXT DAY:

Me: Hi!

My Friend: Hi! I actually went and got a FeGorce TGX 650. WHAT THE HELL! It can't even run like, Crysis 3 on ultra at 1440p.That's it. That's my game settings. WHY?

Me: Ummm.... How much did you spend?

My Friend: $2300

I then found out he had gotten a 256 GB SSD and a Extreme Edition i7. Wow.

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

I work in a computer shop in a small town in Ontario Canada. You would not believe how many elderly people come in. I try my best to help most of them, the thing that a lot of them don't seem to understand is it takes me time as i'm the only technician, and i'm always working on 20+ computers at a time. So i get about 5-10 calls a day asking when their computer is going to be done. I always say when i'm getting their computer from them i'll call them, we almost always exclusively do same day service, it's only the format re-installs that take a little more then a day. So that's the only thing i have a  problem with is when the people don't understand if they want their bill to be cheap, then they have to wait until i call them. It's just frustrating because everyone knows i'm running the store, and my boss does the renewals, ordering, and service calls all day. So. That's my only complaint with the people who don't know much about computers, is their computer will be done when it's done. If not today. tomorrow for sure. Because i don't leave until the bench is done. 

*end rant*

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

This isn't an experience, but I'm telling all your confused guys out there that everyone seems to judge your computer by your storage and RAM mainly because its the easiest to understand. The bigger they are, the better basically. 
However, most people won't be able to tell the difference between:

A GTX 680

And a GTX 760.

Most people will say the 760 is better; not true.

Oh, and same with processors, i3, i5 and i7 are generally unknown "words".

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

THE NEXT DAY:

Me: Hi!

My Friend: Hi! I actually went and got a FeGorce TGX 650. WHAT THE HELL! It can't even run like, Crysis 3 on ultra at 1440p.That's it. That's my game settings. WHY?

Me: Ummm.... How much did you spend?

My Friend: $2300

I then found out he had gotten a 256 GB SSD and a Extreme Edition i7. Wow.

I thought your friend just bought an Alienware

Sent from my iGeneric using iWontStopBlabbering v7.42

I thought your friend just bought an Alienware

Sent from my iGeneric using iWontStopBlabbering v7.42

Naah, he knows better.

Not to mention he bought 4 gigs of some very, very BAD RAM for like 100 bucks and it broke,

Naah, he knows better.

Not to mention he bought 128 gigs of some very, very BAD DDR1 RAM for like 100 bucks and it broke,

i smell bs.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

The hottest my rig ever gets is 41C. My old Dell OptiPlex GX270 Desktop with a 2.4GHz Prescott P4 (think Fermi heat output here) gets up to 40C at the most.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

This isn't an experience, but I'm telling all your confused guys out there that everyone seems to judge your computer by your storage and RAM mainly because its the easiest to understand. The bigger they are, the better basically. 

However, most people won't be able to tell the difference between:

A GTX 680

And a GTX 760.

Most people will say the 760 is better; not true.

Oh, and same with processors, i3, i5 and i7 are generally unknown "words".

well people usualy know that an i7 is better than an i3 but they think the i7 is newer and that there will be an i9

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

The hottest my rig ever gets is 41C. My old Dell OptiPlex GX270 Desktop with a 2.4GHz Prescott P4 (think Fermi heat output here) gets up to 40C at the most.

Depends on how accurate the temperature sensors are.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The inside of my 900D doesn't top 25*C.... However it's not the most silent computer in the world... xD

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda