Experiences with non-techies

When I'm helping a friend over a call and he can't navigate through Windows 7....

You're reading this. Why are you reading this?

Was looking at motherboard reviews, and saw this mothaVista's review...

oa6555.png

You'd have to force me against my will to use that heap of bad known as Vista again.

But guys, it had widgets!

so did windows 7.

I have a recent story as well. 

I have a friend how thinks that he is very tech-savvy but he really isn't, therefore, everytime he asks me for help and then he says that he only wanted to double check what he knows. The other week he messages me on Skype and says:

- Bro, I am really stressed, some people told me that I have to clean my computer regularly, because otherwise it will run hot and die. So pls help me reinstall Windows 8!

When I heard that I nearly flipped out. How can reinstalling Windows clean your computer I said, and he was like:

- But, I have been cleaning my computer like that for 3 years now!

OMG. He actually thinks that reinstalling Windows keeps your computer parts clean... 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Back in the early 90's, the IT-company i worked for had a customer who had just tossed all their old DOS based PC's to replace them with brand new OS/2 based dittos.

In this company the bookkeeping was done by an elderly lady who at that time probably was in her mid-sixties. She'd been with the company since the sixties and had only reluctantly accepted the introduction of computers into her area of expertise when they came along. This she made sure to tell everybody about, repeatedly, who cared to listen (or like me, the external consultant) was forced to do so.  

Now gone was the old DOS boot menu where she had learned to press 1 and ENTER to start up the management system. Instead she had a mouse, an arrow-cursor on the screen and an icon that needed double clicking. This was the first time she had ever seen a computer mouse so i tried to ease her into the experience very very gently:

- "Mrs. Larsen" i said, "Do you see how moving the mouse around on its pad makes the little arrow move on the screen accordingly?" I asked her.

She tried out the mouse, moved it from one side to the other, and gave me one of those looks elderly people in particular are able to give, that just says "you should be ashamed of yourself for wasting my time so excessively with your juvenile shenanigans".

- "Yes" was the one word that left her lips.

- "Now move it to the corner of the screen, where you see that little blue icon and once there click the left button on the mouse, twice".

She looked at me.

She looked at the mouse.

She looked at the monitor and then back on the mouse.

Then she grabbed the mouse firmly, lifted it up, away from the pad, all the way to the corner of the monitor, right in front of that blue icon, and double clicked like a champion.

I had no words. None.

At this point, her boss, the owner of the company, who'd been observing from the door to his office, went into hysterical cramps of laughter. I have never since had a harder time trying to keep my poker face around a customer.

·· When I die i wan't to go peacefully - in my sleep, like my granddad - Not screaming in terror, like his passengers ··

·· [ while (!asleep()) { $sheep++} ] :: [ The Cave ] ··

Back in the early 90's, the IT-company i worked for had a customer who had just tossed all their old DOS based PC's to replace them with brand new OS/2 based dittos.

In this company the bookkeeping was done by an elderly lady who at that time probably was in her mid-sixties. She'd been with the company since the sixties and had only reluctantly accepted the introduction of computers into her area of expertise when they came along. This she made sure to tell everybody about, repeatedly, who cared to listen (or like me, the external consultant) was forced to do so.  

Now gone was the old DOS boot menu where she had learned to press 1 and ENTER to start up the management system. Instead she had a mouse, an arrow-cursor on the screen and an icon that needed double clicking. This was the first time she had ever seen a computer mouse so i tried to ease her into the experience very very gently:

- "Mrs. Larsen" i said, "Do you see how moving the mouse around on its pad makes the little arrow move on the screen accordingly?" I asked her.

She tried out the mouse, moved it from one side to the other, and gave me one of those looks elderly people in particular are able to give, that just says "you should be ashamed of yourself for wasting my time so excessively with your juvenile shenanigans".

- "Yes" was the one word that left her lips.

- "Now move it to the corner of the screen, where you see that little blue icon and once there click the left button on the mouse, twice".

She looked at me.

She looked at the mouse.

She looked at the monitor and then back on the mouse.

Then she grabbed the mouse firmly, lifted it up, away from the pad, all the way to the corner of the monitor, right in front of that blue icon, and double clicked like a champion.

I had no words. None.

At this point, her boss, the owner of the company, who'd been observing from the door to his office, went into hysterical cramps of laughter. I have never since had a harder time trying to keep my poker face around a customer.

As I have recommended before Tales from tech support would greatly appreciate this story.

I will be watching.

People with 16gbs of ram and intel HD graphics with an i5 CPU in a laptop and thinking their computer is better than mine xD (rig in sig)

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

When I'm helping a friend over a call and he can't navigate through Windows 7....

remote desktop?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

remote desktop?

^ This. TeamViewer is quite helpful.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

^ This. TeamViewer is quite helpful.

I use chrome remote desktop personally between my gaming PC and my S5

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

remote desktop?

Yes, but do you really think they know how to download it if they can't navigate through Windows? And their spelling also is shit. Personally, I use Chrome Remote Desktop, so I would see a close program for them to download

You're reading this. Why are you reading this?

Every Apple customer ever? :P

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

Every Apple customer ever? :P

Not really no... I've got a few friends who only got an apple because of work (app dev't)... They have their gaming rigs, but they use their macs for non-intensive computing...

Not really no... I've got a few friends who only got an apple because of work (app dev't)... They have their gaming rigs, but they use their macs for non-intensive computing...

Yeah I was joking but sure, take it seriously... 

post-104353-0-29890400-1417169744.png

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

Ladies and gentlemen I had the craziest non techie experience today!

I always take the train and bus home from school. I listen to music on my headphones during the trip.

After the train ride I switch to a bus, but it was a little late today, so there was a little waiting on the station.

And I was standing next to a small pillar which holds a part of a shade that extends from a building on the station. And remember there is about 100 people on a small contry side station, so fairly crowded.

Anyway, the bus arrived and we all got on. There was plenty of space so I sat at a two person seat alone, still listening to music.

Then after a while, I feel someone is staring at me like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/Cat_with_staring_eyes.jpg

So I look to the right and this fairly old man (ca 65 y/o) is talking to me. So of course I remove my headphones and say hello.

He then asks: "What are you doing?".

I a little confused answered: "Listening to music?"

"No you were not, you are sitting with some sort of recording apparatus, and working together with that other guy!" he said.

I even more confused answered: "No I am just sitting here listening to music. You can try if you want".

The man then said "No you're not. You're working with the other guy by the pillar".

I had level over 9000 confuse, but I still answered him: "I don't know what you are talking about, I am just sitting here listening to music on my headphones."

He then sat back down on his seat two rows back. But he was still determined to explain what I was doing...

"You are recording something" he said again.

"No I am not" I answered.

Then som younger guy interfered and asked what the problem was.

"I am just sitting here listening to music on my phone?" I answered and looked at him like this: http://blog.brokerfish.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/confusedq-e.jpg

I then stood up, as I had to get of at the next stop.

I told the man I now packed my headphones down, as I was doing it. I then named everything in my pack, laptop, books everything, and I told him what I used it all for (school).

"You were working with someone!" he said again, now more calmed but still a tone of anger in his voice.

"I have some coleauges I work well with. And some classmates I like working with. But That's about it." I said.

He now said his ultimate derp: "You don't have to confess here in front of me!".

"ookkaaay? Good day sir" I said and got of the bus.

I now have a question for you guys: Was he insane or just a non techie?:-)

I always take the train and bus home from school. I listen to music on my headphones during the trip.

After the train ride I switch to a bus, but it was a little late today, so there was a little waiting on the station.
And I was standing next to a small pillar which holds a part of a shade that extends from a building on the station. And remember there is about 100 people on a small contry side station, so fairly crowded.

Anyway, the bus arrived and we all got on. There was plenty of space so I sat at a two person seat alone, still listening to music.
Then after a while, I feel someone is staring at me like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/Cat_with_staring_eyes.jpg
So I look to the right and this fairly old man (ca 65 y/o) is talking to me. So of course I remove my headphones and say hello.

"No you were not, you are sitting with some sort of recording apparatus, and working together with that other guy!" he said.
I even more confused answered: "No I am just sitting here listening to music. You can try if you want".
The man then said "No you're not. You're working with the other guy by the pillar".
I had level over 9000 confuse, but I still answered him: "I don't know what you are talking about, I am just sitting here listening to music on my headphones."
He then sat back down on his seat two rows back. But he was still determined to explain what I was doing...

"I am just sitting here listening to music on my phone?" I answered and looked at him like this: http://blog.brokerfish.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/confusedq-e.jpg

I told the man I now packed my headphones down, as I was doing it. I then named everything in my pack, laptop, books everything, and I told him what I used it all for (school).
"You were working with someone!" he said again, now more calmed but still a tone of anger in his voice.
"I have some coleauges I work well with. And some classmates I like working with. But That's about it." I said.
He now said his ultimate derp: "You don't have to confess here in front of me!".

My reaction probably would've been the same: just wat.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Not too sure... a part of each?

Problaby... It was very weird either way.

I remember reading a story like this on /r/talesfromtechsupport.  He might be showing early signs of dementia, unfortunately.  (paranoia, faulty reasoning, etc.)

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

Finally i've got a story to tell you guys.

At work we moved our office, same building, our boss wanted us to clean our previos desks.

A friend of mine then grabs a bottle of some cleaner and sprays it all over the place, and with all i mean she sprayed it on the monitors, keyboard, mouse and desktop, that day i died a little

Don't know if it still works though...

CPU: i7 5930k @4.3 GHz, Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe, RAM: 32 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport ddr4 (2400 MHz), GPU: 2 x Gigabyte gtx 970 G1 Gaming @ 1500 MHz,

Case: Corsair obsidian 750d, Storage: Samsung 850 Pro ssd (512GB) and 3TB WD Black, PSU: Coolermaster v850, Display: Asus Rog swift,                             

Cooling: Coolermaster Nepton 280L, Keyboard: Corsair Vengence K70 RGB (Mx-red), Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD Optical, Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR paired with Audioengine A5+ 

I remember reading a story like this on /r/talesfromtechsupport.  He might be showing early signs of dementia, unfortunately.  (paranoia, faulty reasoning, etc.)

Yeah. I spoke with my dad about it. Might be something like that. Unfortunately.

Yes, but do you really think they know how to download it if they can't navigate through Windows? And their spelling also is shit. Personally, I use Chrome Remote Desktop, so I would see a close program for them to download

The next time you go to his/her house you could get it set up then