Experiences with non-techies

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

thats just you not haveing the knowlage.. all Intel portable chips are either PGA or BGA and always have been, its a cheaper pacage to use and there is probably some other reason as well. anyway that should also mean that you could stick a beefier chip in there when you need it because why not :D 

Yea I realised that as well just need to find out what socks it is exactly so I can start looking for a upgrade. Preferably something with a lower wattage even after the thermal compound change it runs a little hot for what I ask from it imo.

20 minutes ago, NLD1st said:

Yea I realised that as well just need to find out what socks it is exactly so I can start looking for a upgrade. Preferably something with a lower wattage even after the thermal compound change it runs a little hot for what I ask from it imo.

make some move venilation holes if its hot :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

make some move venilation holes if its hot :P 

Nha the heatsink is just trash / small things already ask a big chunk of performance. Apparently it has socket G2 also named rPGA988B. It's a 2nd gen i5 guess I will look for a cheap 3rd gen i7 if it's out there 

14 minutes ago, NLD1st said:

Nha the heatsink is just trash / small things already ask a big chunk of performance. Apparently it has socket G2 also named rPGA988B. It's a 2nd gen i5 guess I will look for a cheap 3rd gen i7 if it's out there 

3rd get I7 might fir there but wont neccesairely work with your chipset, id look up the motherboard as well

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

53 minutes ago, NLD1st said:

Oh on a different note. I was cleaning my laptop this week also put on new thermal compound on the CPU. 

I was curious so pulled it out of the socket almost pooped my self when I saw it had pins and not LGA lol. I know they bent easy. Thought all Intel I series where LGA. TIL :P

Interesting that it had pins, modern intel laptops are BGA. Must be an older one. 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

Interesting that it had pins, modern intel laptops are BGA. Must be an older one. 

my current laptop has pins

yes its a core duo laptop.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

3rd get I7 might fir there but wont neccesairely work with your chipset, id look up the motherboard as well

Yea read that already will check for sure

Just now, DocSwag said:

Interesting that it had pins, modern intel laptops are PGA. Must be an older one. 

Bought the laptop like almost 5 years ago it has a 2nd gen i5 don't remember the exact model right now

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

my current laptop has pins

yes its a core duo laptop.

Makeys sense. 

Just now, NLD1st said:

Yea read that already will check for sure

Bought the laptop like almost 5 years ago it has a 2nd gen i5 don't remember the exact model right now

Hm didn't know the sandy bridge still had PGA ones. Interesting. 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

just been down ASDA, got a good'n 

Went to the "technology" section to grab a USB hub, asked the lady at the till if they had any USB3 hubs, she responded "i don't know but we do have USB4 hubs"

In my curiosity i followed her to this fabled device, and she presented me with a USB2.0 hub with 4 ports, i facepalmed and then explained what USB3 was to no avail. 

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

On 1/16/2013 at 10:30 AM, Tr3vor said:

my aunt who is constantly complaining about her slow Pentium 4 computer, and when people tell her to buy a new one already, she says "no its fine."

My mom does the exact same thing but she says she likes the computer, its slow but she likes it that way

I've gotten to the point where I want to have laminated note cards/papers physically tied to items in my parents often have problems with (such as the wifi enabled printer) because it has gotten to the point where I'll re explain the same process 2-4 times in one week. As for a specific example, after showing my stepdad how to back up his iPhone, I noticed he had a piece of paper covering the front facing camera. He thought it would stop all NSA spying because they couldn't see him. 

Yesterday I found a hardcore Apple fanboy in the apple discord. :P you'd think it would be more often but..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

9 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Yesterday I found a hardcore Apple fanboy in the apple discord. :P you'd think it would be more often but..

the apple discord was such a disapointment, i was expecting it to be a retard cirklejerk but aparently its not to the extent i imagined it would be

Builds:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

the apple discord was such a disapointment, i was expecting it to be a retard cirklejerk but aparently its not to the extent i imagined it would be

True. But pre when I was banned it was a circlejerk for Apple. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 minutes ago, themctipers said:

True. But pre when I was banned it was a circlejerk for Apple. 

If it's a Discord server for Apple discussion, what else is it going to be? 

That's exactly the same as me saying /r/pcmasterrace is just a circle jerk for PCs.

17 hours ago, AUniqueName said:

If it's a Discord server for Apple discussion, what else is it going to be? 

That's exactly the same as me saying /r/pcmasterrace is just a circle jerk for PCs.

Isn't it a circle jerk for PC's?

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

On 20.5.2017 at 4:13 AM, nekomata said:

Well duh, of course Macs are superior to PCs. That's why they're more expensive. Moa Money = Moa POWA

The Mac pro has not been Updated since 2013. But the price has not lowerde anyhow. So i tried to build an hackintosh with the same specs as the lowest spec 6 cor mac pro apple offers in germany. it costs 3400€. i built an machine with an i7 6800k, 16 gb of ram,  an 1000gb pcie m.2 ssd and an rx580 wich has 1.5 times the performance that the dual d500 gpus in the mac pro offer. So it has the same ammount of ram. 4 times the storage that is by the way faster than the mac pro`s, an 3.4 instead of an 3.5 ghz six core processor, that instead has an higher ipc and is overclockable, and more graphics horsepower for 1400€

7 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Isn't it a circle jerk for PC's?

Yes, which is my point, he shouldn't have been surprised by the fact it's a circle jerk Apple 

8 minutes ago, luegnicl said:

The Mac pro has not been Updated since 2013. But the price has not lowerde anyhow. So i tried to build an hackintosh with the same specs as the lowest spec 6 cor mac pro apple offers in germany. it costs 3400€. i built an machine with an i7 6800k, 16 gb of ram,  an 1000gb pcie m.2 ssd and an rx580 wich has 1.5 times the performance that the dual d500 gpus in the mac pro offer. So it has the same ammount of ram. 4 times the storage that is by the way faster than the mac pro`s, an 3.4 instead of an 3.5 ghz six core processor, that instead has an higher ipc and is overclockable, and more graphics horsepower for 1400€

Just a note but you should be using xeons and ecc memory, and professional grade GPUs.

Still though, Mac Pro is overpriced. I do think they lowered the price recently, though.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Just a note but you should be using xeons and ecc memory, and professional grade GPUs.

Still though, Mac Pro is overpriced. I do think they lowered the price recently, though.

Xeons are the same as an i7 but with ECC and no overclocking with slightly bins (lower power usage)

i don't think you should have ECC in a regular editing workstation. Maybe in a movie production one, sure. But not for probably what he does. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

Xeons are the same as an i7 but with ECC and no overclocking with slightly bins (lower power usage)

i don't think you should have ECC in a regular editing workstation. Maybe in a movie production one, sure. But not for probably what he does. 

Still doesn't change that it's not DIRECTLY comparable :P 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 5/22/2017 at 0:19 PM, DocSwag said:

Still doesn't change that it's not DIRECTLY comparable :P 

Well, the AM4 platform, depending upon MB manufacturers support ECC memory. (some Gigabyte [AX370] gaming MBs do)

Bit less price gets an R7 1700 with 16GB ECC RAM and a Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5. (Though PcPartPicker.com is confused about the ECC memory)

OK, 8 cores not 6 so technically still not DIRECTLY comparable. (rotten nit-pickers)

20 minutes ago, Norseman4 said:

Well, the AM4 platform, depending upon MB manufacturers support ECC memory. (some Gigabyte AX750 gaming MBs do)

Bit less price gets an R7 1700 with 16GB ECC RAM and a Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5. (Though PcPartPicker.com is confused about the ECC memory)

OK, 8 cores not 6 so technically still not DIRECTLY comparable. (rotten nit-pickers)

They updated Ryzen with proper ECC support? I musta missed that :P 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

They updated Ryzen with proper ECC support? I musta missed that :P 

no. wouldent have gone over my head. its planed for some chips im pretty sure but its not here AFAIK

Builds:

Spoiler

On 1/16/2013 at 10:53 AM, Fordox said:

A really old man (worst example EVER), was comming to our pc store because he bought a pc that didn't work.

he plugged it in, and nothing worked.

he didn't push the power button...

that said, he came back. the screen is still black.

same freaking reason. he did not turn the darn thing on, we had to draw out the symbol of a on/off switch, i walked to the back and laughed reeeaaally hard i allmost cried, 3 times in a row (first for the not working pc, second for the not working monitor and third for the actual drawing) xD

this has really happened :P but the guy was old (75?) and probably has never used an electrical device in his whole life (country side).

that was the least tech savvy person i have ever encountered.

That's hilarious. I've had the same issue with some friends of mine. It amazes me how people can forget the most basic steps like, you know, turning the thing on! 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-