Experiences with non-techies

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

I'm about to buy a new PSU for this thing.  15 bucks for a Seasonic OEM PSU pulled from a working rig. xD 

i used a cheap noname chinese PSU until two years ago

:) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I bought a PSU from AZZA, and had a heart attack almost due to bad reviews of some of theirs.  Lucky for me I bought one of the few good ones that are Superflower. xD 

evga 600b here :/ 

worth it, $20.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Ready to cringe?

This is what a Seasonic OEM PSU looks like not the main models. xD 

oem psu.JPG

ive used psus that looked like that for the majority of my life

:D 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Ya, when I get ones like these I only look for 3 names:  Delta, Seasonic, and Superflower.  Anything else  = nope.

how about noname? 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

background music (thumbs up)

mine worked well for 4 years. then i got a 600b.

dad used one on q6600 until 2014 also.. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

My gf had one then she wondered why the caps blew randomly.  Honestly, you're safer with a known name brand as cheap ones from china can have bad regulation and possibly kill your parts due to lies.  

no shit im safer

and thats why i now have a 600b

i picked it up with my 760.. hint hint.

--

was forced to use it - only PSU in the house.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

7 hours ago, themctipers said:

p4 extreme

aw 

(ಥ﹏ಥ) the godamn P4E 3.4 sells rather well still today 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

12 hours ago, m2234323 said:

it work for me found it in a good search 

didnt work for me atleast and Discord invites are usiually a string of random characters after the adress

9 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

So, I sold my HTPC off to my dad and I'm going to be swapping parts from his computer into it.  Reason being is I have an Amazon Fire Stick+better side comptuer+PSTV hooked up to my plasma.

I told him that I just need swap the processor and his HDD.

Him, "Not right now I'm scared my files will be lost."

Me, "I'll back them up before I do it."

Him, "That scares me.  I don't want to lose my files."

Me, "That's why I'm backing them up first."

Him, "Please not till tomorrow."

Me, "Ya, well tomorrow I don't even know if I have time I told you I'm going to be really busy tomorrow."

Him, "I don't care. Do it Monday."

Me, "Ya, well I have a lot to do as I'm leaving for weeks."

Like, I'm moving out to the upstate for college.  He's acting like magic fairies will destroy all traces of his data if I swap the HDD between computers.  Even if I back up his data.  The sad thing is this is not the first time I've done this, and he knows that.  I really wish I had techie parents instead of near deaf hippies focused on psychology.  e.e To make it worse he asked me to back up his data.  I really don't think he knows how this works, and I get crap for explaining it to him.  I mean I have a computer science associate degree.  I think I know what I'm doing as I'm also a seasoned builder too.  Oh, and he also said that he's afraid of learning how a new keyboard works.  He literally thinks a new keyboard will kill all of his data. xD  I mean there's paranoid and then there's that.

im sortof glad i DONT have techy parents because if i had i wouldent be allowed to run the home network and do whatever i want with it and do whatever i want with the computers in the house ect... all my friends with techy parents limit there computer time and i dont want that, that would be litteral hell for me xD 

5 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Ready to cringe?

oem psu.JPG

i own worse and have used worse things then that, infact two of the PCs my dad has used have had OEM PSUs that im surprised havent burned the house down yet :P i would never go for a bad quality PSU tbh, but mainly because used OEM Dell PSUs made by Delta are so silly cheap xD i have a 325W that i used for the LAN PC untill it got to powerfull lol it didnt have a 6-pin PCIe connector so i dug up a Molex to 6-pin from my GTX 970s box and used that to power the 8800GT in it :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Ready to cringe?

https://seasonic.com/product/ss-350-et-active-pfc-f3/

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

23 hours ago, WinNut said:

So I started working at the library recently (two months ago) as patron tech support, meaning that I help people with random issues they have with our public-use computers and book check-in/out systems.

I have witnessed:

• A lady sending ~15 copies of an 8-page email about cats to our print server
  • A number of people who literally took the book's barcode and rubbed it against the touchscreen check-out station, when there's a laser right below it?!?
  • Someone on the computer literally screaming "BUS DIRECTIONS" at the computer expecting it to load the city's transit website...
  • A person tried to fix a paper jam on our printer. By taking out all the paper and expecting it to print again.

WinNut is back (ish)! :D 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

didnt work for me atleast and Discord invites are usiually a string of random characters after the adress

im sortof glad i DONT have techy parents because if i had i wouldent be allowed to run the home network and do whatever i want with it and do whatever i want with the computers in the house ect... all my friends with techy parents limit there computer time and i dont want that, that would be litteral hell for me xD 

i own worse and have used worse things then that, infact two of the PCs my dad has used have had OEM PSUs that im surprised havent burned the house down yet :P i would never go for a bad quality PSU tbh, but mainly because used OEM Dell PSUs made by Delta are so silly cheap xD i have a 325W that i used for the LAN PC untill it got to powerfull lol it didnt have a 6-pin PCIe connector so i dug up a Molex to 6-pin from my GTX 970s box and used that to power the 8800GT in it :P 

Haha yeah. My friends dad is sorta techie and he set a BIOS password ..

little did he know you can reset that with the CMOS

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

TIL my dads primary email is protected by 4 digits. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, Hyper_X said:

Comments like these makes me laught, because I live in a country where you can torrent windows 7 ultimate, burn it into dvd's and sell them, while your BluRay movie collection is being downloaded. Nobody gives a flying fu*k.

I don't give a flying f*ck about COPPA unless in some rare cases where they ask my age and ban underage people until they are 13.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

27 minutes ago, Hyper_X said:

Comments like these makes me laught, because I live in a country where you can torrent windows 7 ultimate, burn it into dvd's and sell them, while your BluRay movie collection is being downloaded. Nobody gives a flying fu*k.

What country is this? :o 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

When you send a well thought out email to someone explaining how to access a network. Giving them detailed instructions along the way, defining in bold all the IP addresses for the different devices, etc. and three days later they send you an email back that essentially says "So, how do I access the network?". This person is supposed to be helping out with some testing so we can meet the customers deadline, looks like it's just one more thing I'll have to grab hold of and deal with.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

When you send a well thought out email to someone explaining how to access a network. Giving them detailed instructions along the way, defining in bold all the IP addresses for the different devices, etc. and three days later they send you an email back that essentially says "So, how do I access the network?". This person is supposed to be helping out with some testing so we can meet the customers deadline, looks like it's just one more thing I'll have to grab hold of and deal with.

thats what im dealing with too, my brother keeps asking me how to setup a Terraria server so he can tell a friend how to so i sent him instructions on how to portforward in the router, how to setup the terraria server and all that(not even sure why they want a dedicated server when you can just have one through Steam...) and then he goes, "sooo, ok how do you portforward?" and i just lost my shit basically

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

thats what im dealing with too, my brother keeps asking me how to setup a Terraria server so he can tell a friend how to so i sent him instructions on how to portforward in the router, how to setup the terraria server and all that(not even sure why they want a dedicated server when you can just have one through Steam...) and then he goes, "sooo, ok how do you portforward?" and i just lost my shit basically

Yah, well at least this time the person I'm dealing with eventually asked questions. I've dealt with other people in that same area where it seems to be the cultural norm to sit and do NOTHING for days or weeks at a time because they ran into a problem. Not ask questions or seek out help, just sit there and stop all work, not even go onto another section to work on, just stop all together >.<

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Yah, well at least this time the person I'm dealing with eventually asked questions. I've dealt with other people in that same area where it seems to be the cultural norm to sit and do NOTHING for days or weeks at a time because they ran into a problem. Not ask questions or seek out help, just sit there and stop all work, not even go onto another section to work on, just stop all together >.<

that is just stupid... always ask if you dont know or you wont ever do it -_- 

Builds:

Spoiler

On 21/11/2016 at 0:48 PM, valdyrgramr said:

But, he then gets super anxious because he literally believes swapping parts will auto-kill his data.

Wat

Desktop: Core i5-6400, 16gb DDR4, Asus H110M-K, GTX 970, 240gb Crucial BX200, 1TB 5200rpm Samsung Spinpoint, 1TB WD Green, 250gb WD Scorpio Blue, Corsair CS550M, Zalman Z1 Neo, TP Link TL-WDN4800.

Laptop: HP Stream 13: Intel Celeron N2840, 2GB DDR3, 32GB e-mmc, iGPU.

"Test Bench": Pentium 4 HT 3.4GHz, 2GB DDR2, Dell Dimension 8400 Mobo and PSU, ATI X550, random hard drives

I might have mentioned this before. Oh well, like to repeat stories.

Happened a while back like 8 or 10 years ago.

Buddy came in with his friend who got 2 bags of goodies and I notice they're PC parts, cpu, mobo, ram, etc, and a case.

Checked out all the parts making sure they are compatible like, you don't want a AMD CPU with a Intel board and DDR2 ram when the board uses DDR3. Okay so far so good, all parts are go. I looked at the case's front panel and it has 4x USB, 1x eSATA, 1x FireWire, a headphone jack and microphone jack. Then I noticed a small shopping bag inside one of the 2 large bags, took it out, it was a 5.25" drive bay with the exact same ports as the case's front panel. The other one is a 5.25" internal card reader with more USB, eSATA, and front panel audio.  So in total this dude's front panel has a total of 10x USB, 3x eSATA, 2x FireWire, 3x Microphone jacks, and 3x headphone jacks. And they want all of them to be installed, which is impossible and stupid.

TLDR

Case front panel: 4x USB, 1x eSATA, 1x FireWire, 1x Microphone out, 1x Headphone out

5.25" drive bay: 4x USB, 1x eSATA, 1x FireWire, 1x Microphone out, 1x Headphone out

5.25" Card reader: 2x USB, 1x eSATA, 1x Microphone out, 1x Headphone out 

Total number of ports in the front panel of the case: 10x USB, 3x eSATA, 2x FireWire, 3x Microphone out, 3x Audio out

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

17 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

I might have mentioned this before. Oh well, like to repeat stories.

Happened a while back like 8 or 10 years ago.

Buddy came in with his friend who got 2 bags of goodies and I notice they're PC parts, cpu, mobo, ram, etc, and a case.

Checked out all the parts making sure they are compatible like, you don't want a AMD CPU with a Intel board and DDR2 ram when the board uses DDR3. Okay so far so good, all parts are go. I looked at the case's front panel and it has 4x USB, 1x eSATA, 1x FireWire, a headphone jack and microphone jack. Then I noticed a small shopping bag inside one of the 2 large bags, took it out, it was a 5.25" drive bay with the exact same ports as the case's front panel. The other one is a 5.25" internal card reader with more USB, eSATA, and front panel audio.  So in total this dude's front panel has a total of 10x USB, 3x eSATA, 2x FireWire, 3x Microphone jacks, and 3x headphone jacks. And they want all of them to be installed, which is impossible and stupid.

TLDR

Case front panel: 4x USB, 1x eSATA, 1x FireWire, 1x Microphone out, 1x Headphone out

5.25" drive bay: 4x USB, 1x eSATA, 1x FireWire, 1x Microphone out, 1x Headphone out

5.25" Card reader: 2x USB, 1x eSATA, 1x Microphone out, 1x Headphone out 

Total number of ports in the front panel of the case: 10x USB, 3x eSATA, 2x FireWire, 3x Microphone out, 3x Audio out

What  were you trying to do make a 7 gamers 1 tower  styled Pc  something

That thing had the IO 

5 hours ago, Scitesh said:

What  were you trying to do make a 7 gamers 1 tower  styled PC  something

That thing had the IO 

No, just a regular PC. Told them to return the 2 cannot be used junks and grab a external card reader. Internals during that time were crap too. And not many have it, so buying 1 internal means they will have to buy many more for all the PCs they have.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I like posting stuff here every few months.

1: Last year, got my mom a laptop. She likes playing a few games, and since I'm more tech-aware than most people, I made sure she got a good one. It ended up having a 250gb ssd and a 1 tb harddrive. I explain to her that it is important to store only important things on the SSD, since space is a concern. Now, one year later, I come home from college for thanksgiving, and she tells me she's been getting "low on space"-type warnings. I check her documents and the 1tb harddrive is completely empty. not a single file is in there. She has only been saving stuff to her ssd.

Also, she now always uses a 4-port USB hub, 3 ports of which are USB receivers for mice. She doesn't know which one goes to which mouse, so she has them all connected 100% of the time.

My Build, "Helios"

CPU: 5950x with Noctua NH-D15

GPU: MSI 2080ti

Case: BE QUIET! Dark Base 900 Pro

Storage: Samsung 970  pro 500gb (boot drive), unknown 2tb Seagate drive, 4tb WD Black drive

PSU: Corsair HX1000i

RAM: (4x8) Trident Z RGB

Remote PC Starter Kit

2 hours ago, JMSOG said:

I like posting stuff here every few months.

1: Last year, got my mom a laptop. She likes playing a few games, and since I'm more tech-aware than most people, I made sure she got a good one. It ended up having a 250gb ssd and a 1 tb harddrive. I explain to her that it is important to store only important things on the SSD, since space is a concern. Now, one year later, I come home from college for thanksgiving, and she tells me she's been getting "low on space"-type warnings. I check her documents and the 1tb harddrive is completely empty. not a single file is in there. She has only been saving stuff to her ssd.

Also, she now always uses a 4-port USB hub, 3 ports of which are USB receivers for mice. She doesn't know which one goes to which mouse, so she has them all connected 100% of the time.

wow just test ffs... and fore the files thats what my brother does but for a different reason, his SSHD dind work properly out of the box and he NEVER TOLD ME TO FIX IT... i asked him if i could borrow his computer for an hour and fix it for him but he is like, "nah im doing stuff eff off" and it blows my mind how he can live with just 250GB of storage when im using like 600GB on just my main PC lol

Builds:

Spoiler