Experiences with non-techies

2 hours ago, Bhav said:

I hate such forums with such strictness. The main reason I like this one is that they don't warn / infract users over the slightest things.

I like it. You did realize that nearly three quarters of general discussion posts were off topic, right? (scroll up) 

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

9 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

I like it. You did realize that nearly three quarters of general discussion posts were off topic, right? (scroll up) 

But as noted those are mostly by new people. What does warning them serve when they will learn from the first time their thread gets moved?

Linus is my fetish.

17 minutes ago, Bhav said:

But as noted those are mostly by new people. What does warning them serve when they will learn from the first time their thread gets moved?

It teaches them not to do it again.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Woooooo hoooooooo just passed the 700 page mark on this thread!

If your confused I started reading this entire thread a month or two ago. Just got to page 700!

I feel so proud of myself *pats self on the back*

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 hours ago, Bhav said:

I think you should re-read my post, on the forums I'm an admin, we don't give infractions to new users. Plus it's the internet, there are tons of forums, if someone doesn't like "my" forum they can go elsewhere. (It might sound harsh but that's how most forums are managed, the owners have a direction and they get mods that go in the same direction).

BTW, keep in mind, whatever you do, you'll never be able to please everyone, there's always someone that's gonna be unhappy about something.

Also just look at the redirected thread in this section, most are made by people with over 100 post count, that's not what I would call a new user.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

5 hours ago, DocSwag said:

If your confused I started reading this entire thread a month or two ago. Just got to page 700!

w e w

l a d

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

On 6/6/2016 at 11:05 AM, DigitalHermit said:

If you're coming from social media, then it might as well be...

Had a funny thing happened today, frankly some people don't learn... had a user that somehow forgot how to "press enter"!!!

It's a sales rep, I was helping another user with an unrelated problem. I could see this sales rep was having problems with an email, he kept hitting reply, he would start typing his reply then he would search for a key on the keyboard, I've seen him discard his email twice and start over again and again.

After I finished with my ticket I went over to see what was the problem, turns out he didn't remember how to "make a new line" ... so I pressed  "Enter" and ask if it's what he meant, it was.

loll xD

My users aren't letting me down!!! ;)

7 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Wait how many pages is this thread for you guys?  I can't tell anymore :ph34r:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wait how many pages is this thread for you guys?  I can't tell anymore :ph34r:

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

9 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

oh wow... apparently there's been 6 whole pages of content stripped from this thread over its lifetime xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

oh wow... apparently there's been 6 whole pages of content stripped from this thread over its lifetime xD

Of what?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

Of what?

things mods thought should go I guess

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

things mods thought should go I guess

Wait, if you're a mod you can see stuff that you guys have deleted and that we can't see anymore?!? :o 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Wait, if you're a mod you can see stuff that you guys have deleted and that we can't see anymore?!? :o 

:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

:ph34r:

In case your wondering, there's a reason I marked your post as informative...:ph34r:

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

my mom thinks computers and phones gives off harmful radiation. and so does the rest of my family

2 minutes ago, Moo Lawn said:

my mom thinks computers and phones gives off harmful radiation. and so does the rest of my family

Our City has a Facebook group and one of the residents its totally against Smart Meters, WiFi and Cellular service. Posts shit about radiation all the time. I think its a load of shit. Cant be any more harmful than the Sun. Ask you mom is she uses a Microwave. Because I think WiFi and Phones give off less. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Our City has a Facebook group and one of the residents its totally against Smart Meters, WiFi and Cellular service. Posts shit about radiation all the time. I think its a load of shit. Cant be any more harmful than the Sun. Ask you mom is she uses a Microwave. Because I think WiFi and Phones give off less. 

microwave radiation doesnt affect our body in anyway, because the wavelengths are long. shorter ones like ultraviolet or worse, x-ray or gamma radiaton can all can cause damage. wifi , cellular service, phones, computers all use microwave radiation, but they are not harmful. the sun is, though

2 minutes ago, Moo Lawn said:

microwave radiation doesnt affect our body in anyway, because the wavelengths are long. shorter ones like ultraviolet or worse, x-ray or gamma radiaton can all can cause damage. wifi , cellular service, phones, computers all use microwave radiation, but they are not harmful. the sun is, though

Microwaves (like the machine for your food) doesn't hurt people, but microwaves themselves (like the actual scientific wave type, like light, xray, etc.) would... just put something like a dog in the microwave and see what happens (do NOT actually do that it would be horrible and you would be a horrible person)

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Microwaves (like the machine for your food) doesn't hurt people, but microwaves themselves (like the actual scientific wave type, like light, xray, etc.) would... just put something like a dog in the microwave and see what happens (do NOT actually do that it would be horrible and you would be a horrible person)

yea right, when i said it doesnt cause harm i wasnt thinking of that lol. i was thinking it isnt cancer causing because a lot of people associate "radiation" (like microwave radiation) with cancer

2 hours ago, Moo Lawn said:

yea right, when i said it doesnt cause harm i wasnt thinking of that lol. i was thinking it isnt cancer causing because a lot of people associate "radiation" (like microwave radiation) with cancer

Sadly people aren't educated when it starts to be about science, radiation is one thing, the other is the misunderstanding of the words "scientific theory".

I remember seeing someone posting a video on Facebook showing how dangerous CFL bulbs are... using an EMR detector !!!! Yeah it says "radiation detector" on it, but it detects electromagnetic radiation, key word being "electromagnetic" ... electricity will produce electromagnetic fields, so ANY bulbs will produce small amount of EMR, not just CFL.

People in general are idiots, sometimes I wish eugenics wasn't such a bad thing!

7 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Sadly people aren't educated when it starts to be about science, radiation is one thing, the other is the misunderstanding of the words "scientific theory".

I remember seeing someone posting a video on Facebook showing how dangerous CFL bulbs are... using an EMR detector !!!! Yeah it says "radiation detector" on it, but it detects electromagnetic radiation, key word being "electromagnetic" ... electricity will produce electromagnetic fields, so ANY bulbs will produce small amount of EMR, not just CFL.

People in general are idiots, sometimes I wish eugenics wasn't such a bad thing!

Imagine if he put the EMR in front of his WiFi router or Microwave xD

Actually on that note, I have friends who's parents turn off the WiFi at night so they don't get cancer hahaha

2 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Imagine if he put the EMR in front of his WiFi router or Microwave xD

Actually on that note, I have friends who's parents turn off the WiFi at night so they don't get cancer hahaha

xD so it's worth getting a little cancer to have internet access during the day?  Priorities people... :P

I remember journalists spreading panic a few years back during the "Great North Korean Nuclear Crisis" (this was when NK was testing nukes and threatening to nuke US allies) and the Fukushima Incident just because they can't differentiate between microsieverts and millisieverts...

The readings where the measurements were taken barely rose above the 10 year norm...

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Phones and wifi and stuff use radiowaves. Not microwaves :P