Experiences with non-techies

i was talking to a guy at work about overclocking he told me that he tried to do it once it was the first time he had been in bios he poked around until he found overclocking options changed one thing up by 5 then went to exit it asked if he wanted to save the changed he panicked and couldn't commit to yes or no so he pulled the plug out of the wall...iv'e never laughed so hard in my life i couldn't breath.

THE RIG 

CPU: i7 3770K @ 4.9 COOLER: Kraken X61 MOBO: Z77 Sabertooth RAM: Vengeance 16gb @1600 GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850w SSD: 850 Pro 256Gb    CASE: B/W phantom 410 AUDIO: Kraken 7.1 Chroma MOUSE: Death Adder Chroma KEYBOARD: Black Widow Chroma MONITOR: Triple 23" Apple Cinama Displays   VR: HTC Vive & Oculus Rift DK2 

On 18-2-2016 at 9:50 AM, Alucard86ers said:

From my experience (mostly windows and Mac) the more on the desktop (that being large in file size or large in number of files) reduces the performance of the OS itself. From what I understand the items on the desktop tend to be the most active and ready to be used. The more items on the desktop tend to put a strain on the OS to keep those files active. 

In windows 7 (what i mostly support now) depending on the HW config I have seen a Pc that would take 10 min to log in and open up the normal startup apps (lync; Symantec etc.) to logging in about 3 min after the clean up. 
On the Mac OS (10.7.x when i last used it properly) it can be the same as windows. From memory i had one user accidentally drop over 10,000 files on the desktop and watch it grind to a halt as it tried to process everything. I had to get them to login as Root and move the files from the desktop in there user to a folder on the OS drive before they could log in again. 

I have never made the mistake on Linux (nor do i plan to test this) so i don't know but i have a feeling that it would behave similar to the mac os, this is depending if the desktop is actively set to show folders as well.  

When I still had that powermac, it would also slow the boot process noticably if there were a lot files on the desktop.

Once I cleaned up the desktop it booted 20 seconds faster.

Still sad the PowerMac died.

2 hours ago, deWaardt said:

When I still had that powermac, it would also slow the boot process noticably if there were a lot files on the desktop.

Once I cleaned up the desktop it booted 20 seconds faster.

Still sad the PowerMac died.

I have recycle bin and my computer on dekstop. That't it ^_^

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

On 1/16/2013 at 5:16 PM, RobbieX27 said:

People thinking they can download RAM....

On 1/16/2013 at 2:16 AM, Salmiakbal said:

This is just a joke site you really can't download RAM but you can download software that cleans your virtual memory each time it gets full

26 minutes ago, Aleksbgbg said:

I have recycle bin and my computer on dekstop. That't it ^_^

I have a few folders with stuff that I use a lot, some temporary files and... that's it.

I try to keep my desktop clean as much as possible.

Keep postin' everyone...I'm reading these while changing the blinker fluid in the lights next to the turbo button my my new 386 machine...

On 19/02/2016 at 10:40 AM, blizzardchris said:

i was talking to a guy at work about overclocking he told me that he tried to do it once it was the first time he had been in bios he poked around until he found overclocking options changed one thing up by 5 then went to exit it asked if he wanted to save the changed he panicked and couldn't commit to yes or no so he pulled the plug out of the wall...iv'e never laughed so hard in my life i couldn't breath.

I'm the opposite. When I overclock I push everything up in 100s until it crashes, then back down until it stops crashing.

Linus is my fetish.

52 minutes ago, Bhav said:

I'm the opposite. When I overclock I push everything up in 100s until it crashes, then back down until it stops crashing.

same i normally look at other peoples overclocks base clock/multiplier and voltages and come up with a baseline and go from there.this guy didnt tell me what it was that he upped by 5 i presume the base clock but for all i know it could have been the time

THE RIG 

CPU: i7 3770K @ 4.9 COOLER: Kraken X61 MOBO: Z77 Sabertooth RAM: Vengeance 16gb @1600 GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850w SSD: 850 Pro 256Gb    CASE: B/W phantom 410 AUDIO: Kraken 7.1 Chroma MOUSE: Death Adder Chroma KEYBOARD: Black Widow Chroma MONITOR: Triple 23" Apple Cinama Displays   VR: HTC Vive & Oculus Rift DK2 

Once, when i was using my Acer Aspire laptop it said my hard drive was full (i was only 12) so I went to see my dad. We couldn't find anything, program x86 was only like 100gb (i had 500gb storgae) and the rest of my pc was only 100gb. Then we found the problem. I used to have a lot of video footage on the laptop. Of course i steadily deleted bits i didn't need. But we found that my laptop had been hiding all of the deleted footage in the recycle bin (when you clicked on it normally it told you nothing was there. So we selected 'display hidden files' and there it was 300gb of unneeded stuff. To this day I still don't know why the hell my laptop did that to itself...

So I had a friend who destroyed a laptop basically in just over a year, first he spilled water on the keyboard causing it to have some issues with it working reliably as well as the mouse, then he bent the metal housing around the sd reader (cosmetic damage only), then the bottom corner of his display came loose some how, then the power port stopped working reliably and when he talked to software support he did a refresh without a backup and a no saved copies of the product keys to reactivate software, and then this happened ( have now idea how he did it)

it is a touch screen BTW and it still recognizes touch

20151019_205252.thumb.jpg.626f782f2262be

He also broke 2 Samsung Galaxy S5 phones in a year

5 hours ago, flowalex said:

So I had a friend who destroyed a laptop basically in just over a year, first he spilled water on the keyboard causing it to have some issues with it working reliably as well as the mouse, then he bent the metal housing around the sd reader (cosmetic damage only), then the bottom corner of his display came loose some how, then the power port stopped working reliably and when he talked to software support he did a refresh without a backup and a no saved copies of the product keys to reactivate software, and then this happened ( have now idea how he did it)

Hidden Content

He also broke 2 Samsung Galaxy S5 phones in a year

Is he just a clumsy 5 year old?! How the fuck do you do this? How do you rip the the bottom of your laptop screen?! The only thing I understand is accidentally spilling water and not having backups.

Nothing else makes sense, especially not breaking 2 S5s! I have one myself, I've dropped it 5 times (once of which landed on the glass and was just a little scratch) and sprayed water of it countless times and it still works perfectly! Does he fall down the stairs regularly?!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

5 minutes ago, Fgtfv567 said:

Is he just a clumsy 5 year old?! How the fuck do you do this? How do you rip the the bottom of your laptop screen?! The only thing I understand is accidentally spilling water and not having backups.

Nothing else makes sense, especially not breaking 2 S5s! I have one myself, I've dropped it 5 times (once of which landed on the glass and was just a little scratch) and sprayed water of it countless times and it still works perfectly! Does he fall down the stairs regularly?!

Some people were never meant to handle tech. My sister got an iphone6 whatever model and within the first week, there was a big scratch mark all across the screen. Like she took a rock and just slid it from one corner to the opposite corner.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Just now, deVIZtation said:

Some people were never meant to handle tech. My sister got an iphone6 whatever model and within the first week, there was a big scratch mark all across the screen. Like she took a rock and just slid it from one corner to the opposite corner.

WHAT THE LIVING FUCK?!

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

My mom is the worst i bought her a chromecast (a.k.a the words easiest device to use) then set it up for her and showed her how to use it next time i go over there and i say "how you getting on with the chromecast mom" she replied "i found it to difficult to use so i put it back in the box! 

hair-pulling_3261885b.jpg

I lurk a lot

On ‎2016‎-‎02‎-‎05 at 4:02 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

I do sometimes wonder, if there was a committee setup to estimate the total economic impact on, say, just the USA ever year due to tech incompetence... what would they find?  I bet it would be to the tune of several billion dollars.  Consider this:

• How much is spent diagnosing, chasing, and removing viruses from both home and business PCs every year
  • How many hours are wasted by people not knowing how to get things working? (personal incompetence)
  • How many hours are wasted by people not being able to get things working because the equipment is crap because the managers bought the lowest cost solution instead of the one that actually works (management incompetence)

I could probably go on but just those alone probably total in the billions.  I don't understand why there is this general notion that it's OK to be completely clueless about computers; that "it doesn't hurt anyone", and if it's not your job you shouldn't need to know.  Think of the damage that's actually done by that mentality!  Computers are an integral and massively prevalent part of modern society.  This is only going to get increasingly true with time.  Accept it, and do something about it!  What if the vast majority of society had refused to learn how to drive, or to use a telephone?  Where would we be, as a species?  Seriously, when most people just ignore such a massively influential and important part of the world, it hurts everyone!  I'm really curious about why this has happened, when other technologies seem to have been adopted just fine... I'm not asking everyone to be an IT expert, but some really basic things, like how to plug stuff in and turn it on, or how to recognize a virus, etc. would be easy to learn and would go a really long way!

But then we wouldn't get any funy stories to post about expériences with non-techie people.

WELL WORTH A COUPLE BILLIONS

2 hours ago, peej said:

My mom is the worst i bought her a chromecast (a.k.a the words easiest device to use) then set it up for her and showed her how to use it next time i go over there and i say "how you getting on with the chromecast mom" she replied "i found it to difficult to use so i put it back in the box! 

I don't think a chromecast is that easy to use.. (I have one) When I first set it up, video wouldn't show up on the TV, turns out with mine I have to restart my TV. Also you beam content by using the Chromecast icon that can be difficult to find or recognize. If you want to talk ease of use, the chromecast needs a remote and a UI like a shield TV

I'm a part of a team that will be providing tech support to a large tech-based conference in March. There will be over 2500 students in attendance, not to mention the industry professionals that will be providing small training sessions to the students there (coding, photography and video editing, GIS, 3D printing, etc). I went to training for this team last week and while I was there, we had to practice handling frustrating people based on things the team leaders dealt with last year.

They told us that last year, they had a business presenter come up to the tech booth to complain about the convention center lights buzzing. They also had a school who suspended a 46" TV by fishing line and an extension cord. There was another school that placed a plugged-in hair dryer over a tub of water, and yet another school had a boy get severe burns because a live exposed wire fell into some water and he tried to grab it.

While talking about attendees complaining about the slow speed of the internet there, one of the team leaders suggested that we tell people with a wired connected to set their computer on the floor to have gravity help with download speeds, and to hold the computer up in the air to help with upload speeds. We got told by the staff members that we weren't allowed to tell people that.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

3 hours ago, Fgtfv567 said:

ive had my S5 over a year now still never once had a case. the only damage to it is that the a layer of the screen was somehow seperated in a way that allowed air between the screen and the thingy i dont remember the name. and that wasnt by me that was done by my step dad who managed to break the charging cover like 5 times... claiming it was a cheap product and poorly made. .... yet i have his phone now and not once has it needed any form of repair or received any damage hell ive never dropped a phone before ever. although i suck at having space on it. its a constant battle to have enough room for anything on that phone even with added storage... im just too cheap to get something bigger than 16gb for added storage

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

31 minutes ago, Fgtfv567 said:

I don't think a chromecast is that easy to use.. (I have one) When I first set it up, video wouldn't show up on the TV, turns out with mine I have to restart my TV. Also you beam content by using the Chromecast icon that can be difficult to find or recognize. If you want to talk ease of use, the chromecast needs a remote and a UI like a shield TV

i love my chrome cast for the most part my only complaint is that anything i whatch isnt propperly fitted to the tv and ive tried multiple tvs. i think its trying to use the same aspect ratio as my phone and thus when i whatch on a regular television things get cut off since they dont fit. its not horrible since i dont normally need the edges but lets say i watch the wan show. the bar displaying the twitter handles etc will be at the very bottom of the screen slightly cut off and the wan logo will be partially cut off on the left side  so its kinda annoying from time to tiem but otherwise i love it

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

1 hour ago, DirtyDane said:

i love my chrome cast for the most part my only complaint is that anything i whatch isnt propperly fitted to the tv and ive tried multiple tvs. i think its trying to use the same aspect ratio as my phone and thus when i whatch on a regular television things get cut off since they dont fit. its not horrible since i dont normally need the edges but lets say i watch the wan show. the bar displaying the twitter handles etc will be at the very bottom of the screen slightly cut off and the wan logo will be partially cut off on the left side  so its kinda annoying from time to tiem but otherwise i love it

Turn off overscan in your TV's menu. That will solve it

1 hour ago, DirtyDane said:

It sounds like you are mirroring your phone's display - that's the only way the resolution or shape of your "host" device could affect what you see on the TV.  You're supposed to just hit the "cast" button (honestly a bad and confusing name), which does't actually send the image from your device to the chromecast - it just tells the chromecast what you were watching (which youtube video, etc.) and it then starts playing it on it's own.  If that doesn't look right, then your TV has some overscan or aspect ratio setting set wrong.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

A guy on another forum I'm a part of is complaining about iTunes running terribly. He has an i7 4770 and only 2GB of RAM. We told him that his RAM was probably the bottleneck, and he said that RAM was too expensive and he has other things to spend money on.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

3 minutes ago, dcb-z said:

A guy on another forum I'm a part of is complaining about iTunes running terribly. He has an i7 4770 and only 2GB of RAM. We told him that his RAM was probably the bottleneck, and he said that RAM was too expensive and he has other things to spend money on.

lol like a 4770 that's useless because he doesn't have enough ram to run any program that needs it :P

Honestly, I'm impressed he managed to even find a machine with that combination.  I never would have believed that anyone would pair that with less than 4 GB, so either he really shopped around or it's a (terrible) custom build :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

lol like a 4770 that's useless because he doesn't have enough ram to run any program that needs it :P

Honestly, I'm impressed he managed to even find a machine with that combination.  I never would have believed that anyone would pair that with less than 4 GB, so either he really shopped around or it's a (terrible) custom build :D

I asked him about it and he's saying that Amazon messed the order up.

5 minutes ago, dcb-z said:

I asked him about it and he's saying that Amazon messed the order up.

I wouldn't call it "messing up an order"

*buys a 4170 and gets a 4770* = amazing xD

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !