STOP CHROMATIC ABERRATION (Bloodborne, Dying Light, Witcher 3)

Hey everyone, 

I am posting this today to try and spread the word on a disgusting graphical effect that is slipping it's way into a few video games of late.

Chromatic Aberration causes a almost 3D effect on the outer areas of the screen resulting in blurred elements, and an overall degradation of the image. It is COMPLETELY overdone in Dying Light and Bloodborne causing the games to looks drastically worse. Combined with no AA, it looks especially bad in Bloodborne which I have witnessed first hand where I thought my HDMI cable was loose or defective because it was such a strange glaring effect. 

I feel developers are using the "artistic vision" vision card to add more unnecessary, ugly effects from film and photography (they try to remove this effect in film/photos btw) 

Lets make sure this does not become on a trend and start appearing more in video games or ATLEAST give us the option to disable it.

Videos explaining Chromatic Aberration:

Ashton Scally's video on Chromatic Aberration in BLOODBORNE (skip to 2:35)

Joker's video on Chromatic Aberration in Witcher 3 and explaining it in detail (recommended watch)

Image Links and Reddit post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/3089z7/a_graphic_issue_people_should_notice_lets_bring/

http://imgur.com/a/XrPRN

Ar1eo08.jpg

4uZahbv.jpg

Who actually wants that? Pretty soon we'll get vignetting as an "effect" along with 24FPS cinematic framerate

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Personally I've found this effect kinda annoying in FP games but not really TP games as much. I do like the look of it as long as it's not so in your face like I've seen in some ENB for Skyrim, if it's subtle it's fine for me.

I'm OK with lens flares and motion blur but this is just going to far...

RTX2070OC 

Who actually wants that? Pretty soon we'll get vignetting as an "effect" along with 24FPS cinematic framerate

Please no 24FPS... no... just no...

In that picture it looks so pixelated...

when you're playing a game like bloodborne (which i have been binging on lately) you don't tend to notice such details because your attention is on the game, so personally it doesn't bother me

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

when you're playing a game like bloodborne (which i have been binging on lately) you don't tend to notice such details because your attention is on the game, so personally it doesn't bother me

Yeah in any Souls game you rarely look at the scenery, you're mostly trying not to get rekt by a monster lol

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I am playing it and noticed it within the first 30 minutes and then it constantly bothered me. I don't even mind lack of AA or anything and the rest the game looks fine to me, but this stood out especially. I guess it will vary on who it bothers.

I used a mod in Dying Light that removed the film grain , and as a bonus it removed this CA . It was like a dusty monitor being cleaned

Please no 24FPS... no... just no...

deaf game developers "WHAT'S THAT? YOU WANT 24 CINEMATIC FRAMES A SECOND? OKAY!"

"OH, AND YOU WANT MORE WORTHLESS DLC? CAN DO!"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

deaf game developers "WHAT'S THAT? YOU WANT 24 CINEMATIC FRAMES A SECOND? OKAY!"

"OH, AND YOU WANT MORE WORTHLESS DLC? CAN DO!"

add 'and retarded' after deaf and your bang on the mark.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

WHY IS THIS EVEN A THING!?!?!?! You want to AVOID chromatic aberration. It is literally a distortion of the image. These console devs are taking the "film look" to a "indi film look" now. I can not for the life of me figure out why someone would want to simulate the effect of a low end camera lens.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Developers please stop. Please stop using imperfections on filming to make the look more "cinematic". We don't want to play games as if we're looking through the viewfinder of a camera. We want to play games as if we were there ourselves. This is so stupid, why would you put something that filmmakers themselves are trying to avoid and put it in game.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

The same people who want motion blur, depth of field and film grain. Using up GPU power and lowering frame rates in order to deliver worse image quality.

I wouldent include depth of field in that list. Its can make a game look great if managed well.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Its ok to try em, but you should be given an off switch, so easy to solve it shouldn't bean issue.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I completely agree. I've been noticing it in games lately, and I have to say that it's like asking for a topping of faeces on your ice cream. No, seriously. 

In the photography world, "CA" is literally a defect and nothing else. The less of it, the better an image is in "quality". Lens reviewers use CA as a factor in determining wether a lens is "good" or not, for example.

So adding it into a video game as a "graphical feature" is literally like asking for shit as a topping to your ice cream. 

The fact that video game designers think people want this shit (lol) is just appalling imo.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

In the photography world, "CA" is literally a defect and nothing else. The less of it, the better an image is in "quality". Lens reviewers use CA as a factor in determining wether a lens is "good" or not, for example.

This is the wrong logic to look at things, if you are tying to exactly emulate reality then yes you want to avoid it but it can also be used to get a particular look to an image, there is pleny of things people generally try to limit but some like to include it in their photography to get a specific look. Lens flares are similar, it something people want to avoid in realism, but its often thrown in to get a specific image.

But maybe you should look at what you're saying, would you go to a movie studio and tell them to stop using CA in a movie? 

In the example of Bloodborne, the game is going for a dirty, grimy look to its setting, so i would say lens imperfections make sense and the developer thinks that CA improves this image, not because its more realistic, but it better shows the setting and atmosphere they are after.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

This is not news, it's a rant.

I agree, but it's in the wrong section.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Developers do a lot of things that make the game worse. There are a few games that I know of that have extremely bad post processing and one even had a blue lens over everything. I generally go through the settings of each game I play to find out what actually makes the game better or not and then I look for mods to either fix or make certain things better.

I notice this setting when I picked up Alien: Isolation recently, I really didn't know what it meant, but trying it out just now I immediately notice how fuzzy it made everything look.(can't believe I didn't notice while playing it though) A:I was going for a degraded 80's film look so a degrading type effect of older filmography matches thematically but I wouldn't want it in most games.

I wouldent include depth of field in that list. Its can make a game look great if managed well.

The problem is depth of field assumes that it knows which part of the image you are looking at. Though I agree it's not as bad as motion blur.

The problem is depth of field assumes that it knows which part of the image you are looking at. Though I agree it's not as bad as motion blur.

Thats why it needs to be managed well. I do agree that when implemented poorly, it really can impact your experience in a negative way .