Painting k70 rgb

Bosco

So I just got my new k70 rgb in the mail today and it already has smudges on the brushed surface from me handling it. So I want to paint or plasti dip the aluminum surface of the keyboard to make it match my white m65 and also be less of a fingerprint magnet hopefully. I'm posting this in the hopes that someone out there has already done this and can give me a few pointers on the tear down of this keyboard. Unfortunately I think that the only way I can get the switches out of the frame would be to un solder them from the pcb which I really don't want to do because it sounds like a hassle. So I might just end up putting painters tape around every single key kinda like linus did with that motherboard.

I am the one who goes bump in the night... usually making a sandwich.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

So I just got my new k70 rgb in the mail today and it already has smudges on the brushed surface from me handling it. So I want to paint or plasti dip the aluminum surface of the keyboard to make it match my white m65 and also be less of a fingerprint magnet hopefully. I'm posting this in the hopes that someone out there has already done this and can give me a few pointers on the tear down of this keyboard. Unfortunately I think that the only way I can get the switches out of the frame would be to un solder them from the pcb which I really don't want to do because it sounds like a hassle. So I might just end up putting painters tape around every single key kinda like linus did with that motherboard.

@connorpiper plasti-dipped an old Blackwidow.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

@connorpiper plasti-dipped an old Blackwidow.

But that was matte plastic, and the blackwidow kinda fell apart, which i'm guessing the K70 won't. I found Enamel paint was better though. 

Here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232093-razer-blackwidow-ultimate-2013-painting-mod-log/is my thread. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

But that was matte plastic, and the blackwidow kinda fell apart, which i'm guessing the K70 won't. I found Enamel paint was better though. 

Here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232093-razer-blackwidow-ultimate-2013-painting-mod-log/is my thread.

When I made my first case for my diy keyboard I plasti dipped it and that was a bad idea it lasted about 2 months before starting to peel off

Well I guess I'll have to find some enamel paint for this project. I am also going to fill the indent where I took off the corsair tramp stamp logo while I'm at it. I think if I tape the switches as horizontal lines I should be able to get decent coverage because taping each switch individually is going to be a nightmare.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

Well I guess I'll have to find some enamel paint for this project. I am also going to fill the indent where I took off the corsair tramp stamp logo while I'm at it. I think if I tape the switches as horizontal lines I should be able to get decent coverage because taping each switch individually is going to be a nightmare.

Why don't you just take off the keycaps and cover all the keyswitches? Do you also want to paint the "under the keycap area"?

The Rig: NZXT H440 M3 (Green and Black) (Ncase M1 coming soon!!) | Intel Core i5-4690k x BeQuiet PureRock Slim | EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC  | ASUS H81i Plus | 12GB EVGA SSC @ 1600MHz | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Sandisk Ultra II 480GB | Corsair SF 450| LG 29" Ultrawide | CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid TKL | Corsair M65 Black Sennheiser HD 558 (MOD) | Audio-Technica ATR 2500

Why don't you just take off the keycaps and cover all the keyswitches? Do you also want to paint the "under the keycap area"?

I'm going to take off the key caps but yeah I need to tape the switches since they can't be easily removed. Hopefully I'll get some paint tomorrow and go from there.

Yeah. Are you only painting the outside part?

And post a "mod log" (I want to say build log but this is not a build :D)

The Rig: NZXT H440 M3 (Green and Black) (Ncase M1 coming soon!!) | Intel Core i5-4690k x BeQuiet PureRock Slim | EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC  | ASUS H81i Plus | 12GB EVGA SSC @ 1600MHz | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Sandisk Ultra II 480GB | Corsair SF 450| LG 29" Ultrawide | CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid TKL | Corsair M65 Black Sennheiser HD 558 (MOD) | Audio-Technica ATR 2500

Yeah. Are you only painting the outside part?

And post a "mod log" (I want to say build log but this is not a build :D)

I want to paint the top of the aluminum only but I have to get a decent fill in between the keys so it looks good and reflects the rgb light better

Paint it chrome :D

Home Depot had some reflective paints last time I took a trip but i couldn't think of anything to do with it so I didnt get any. I wouldn't paint my k95 but I think the reflections would be beautiful.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

I want to paint the top of the aluminum only but I have to get a decent fill in between the keys so it looks good and reflects the rgb light better

Ahh, how Razer does their white bottom plate. That would be the first thing I change if I get one.