Motorola Droid RAZR XT910 Flash Failure?

terrytek

So, my dad's Motorola Droid RAZR XT910, which is the international GSM edition, has been acting up lately. I mean, Cyanogenmod 11, which has been working since stock android sucked the battery dry, still works, but there are still a few issues. For some reason, it cannot upgrade from CM 11, which it currently has, to CM 12, which the phone does support. If I try to restart the phone in order to do the update, there is this screen that says, "AP Fastboot Mode (Flash Failure). So pretty much, i can't reboot normally unless i hold both volume  buttons + the power button in order to access the boot options then select normal powerup. It's not like where you can just hold the power button to start up. no. Now it's just starting to kinda piss me off. Because my dad and I are trying everything to flash either stock android 4.1.4 on the phone or at least cm 12 without having this issue. Does this mean i can't use this phone normally anymore??

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

you need to update Safestrap to the latest version that supports CM12.(3.75?) i had the same issue with my XT912.

A tip though, don't update to CM12, or if you do, save the CM11 ROM because all the CM11 nightly ROMs have broken links.

The reason i say don't update to CM12 is because it is REALLY laggy. it made my XT912 unusable.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

you need to update Safestrap to the latest version that supports CM12.(3.75?) i had the same issue with my XT912.

A tip though, don't update to CM12, or if you do, save the CM11 ROM because all the CM11 nightly ROMs have broken links.

The reason i say don't update to CM12 is because it is REALLY laggy. it made my XT912 unusable.

I already updated Safestrap to 3.75, so that's done with. I actually have a CM11 ROM from like november, so i hope i can still use it. But now that you told me that CM12 is unusable, i might be just trying for a stock ROM now.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

So, my dad's Motorola Droid RAZR XT910, which is the international GSM edition, has been acting up lately. I mean, Cyanogenmod 11, which has been working since stock android sucked the battery dry, still works, but there are still a few issues. For some reason, it cannot upgrade from CM 11, which it currently has, to CM 12, which the phone does support. If I try to restart the phone in order to do the update, there is this screen that says, "AP Fastboot Mode (Flash Failure). So pretty much, i can't reboot normally unless i hold both volume  buttons + the power button in order to access the boot options then select normal powerup. It's not like where you can just hold the power button to start up. no. Now it's just starting to kinda piss me off. Because my dad and I are trying everything to flash either stock android 4.1.4 on the phone or at least cm 12 without having this issue. Does this mean i can't use this phone normally anymore??

I had the exact same problem with my RAZR V. It was because I tried to reflash ICS in RSD Lite after updating to JB and found out afterwards that it's not possible to downgrade due to a locked bootloader. Basically just do a successful flash of anything through Fastboot and it will get rid of the message, I did so the easiest way, by flashing a new bootlogo.

Afaik there's no functional side effect though. Holding down all three buttons then pressing volume up to select Normal Powerup, is the same as pressing the power button before the issue occured. So you should be able to flash a ROM through recovery then boot up using the Fastboot menu.

"Rawr XD"

I had the exact same problem with my RAZR V. It was because I tried to reflash ICS in RSD Lite after updating to JB and found out afterwards that it's not possible to downgrade due to a locked bootloader. Basically just do a successful flash of anything through Fastboot and it will get rid of the message, I did so the easiest way, by flashing a new bootlogo.

Afaik there's no functional side effect though. Holding down all three buttons then pressing volume up to select Normal Powerup, is the same as pressing the power button before the issue occured. 

http://www.droidrzr.com/topic/30559-ap-fastboot-flash-failure/

Funny thing is, I tried to flash a stock recovery using RSD Lite, but it always failed. EVERY. TIME. So how can I actually flash anything if it just keeps failing? I think i really bricked it.

Funny thing is, I tried to flash a stock recovery using RSD Lite, but it always failed. EVERY. TIME. So how can I actually flash anything if it just keeps failing? I think i really bricked it.

Reflash whatever stock firmware you had (or newer) using RSD Lite and start from scratch. If it keeps failing, use a PC with Windows XP.

"Rawr XD"

Reflash whatever stock firmware you had (or newer) using RSD Lite and start from scratch. If it keeps failing, use a PC with Windows XP.

I have so many i think i forgot which one works with my TIM Italy phone. Problem is, i don't have a PC with Windows XP.

Also, @Aniallation, what does it mean when there's [sIMULATION] next to Safestrap 3.75? Because all actions, installling, wiping, even backup failing probably because it's not actually doing them?

Also, @Aniallation, what does it mean when there's [sIMULATION] next to Safestrap 3.75? Because all actions, installling, wiping, even backup failing probably because it's not actually doing them?

No clue, sorry. Can only tell you what I've known from experience in the past, I got rid of my RAZR V two years ago.

"Rawr XD"

No clue, sorry. Can only tell you what I've known from experience in the past, I got rid of my RAZR V two years ago.

Damn. I wish there were other RAZR experts on this forum. 

@Aniallation, i think i really screwed up this time. I used matt's droid razr utility to try and flash a stock jellybean rom. i tried to flash it, and I thought it worked, because it said OK most of the time, with the exception of recovery, i think. When I tried to reboot it, it comes up with AP Fastboot Flash Mode [boot Failure]. The bootloader is fine, and so is AP Fastboot mode, but everything else is done for. I think i've really done it this time. I think i really bricked this phone. Holy crap.

@Aniallation, i think i really screwed up this time. I used matt's droid razr utility to try and flash a stock jellybean rom. i tried to flash it, and I thought it worked, because it said OK most of the time, with the exception of recovery, i think. When I tried to reboot it, it comes up with AP Fastboot Flash Mode [boot Failure]. The bootloader is fine, and so is AP Fastboot mode, but everything else is done for. I think i've really done it this time. I think i really bricked this phone. Holy crap.

R.I.P. it shall be missed

On-topic: what "stock jellybean rom" is this? You should be flashing the factory image through RSD Lite afaik

"Rawr XD"

R.I.P. it shall be missed

On-topic: what "stock jellybean rom" is this? You should be flashing the factory image through RSD Lite afaik

So it's really gone this time? I just used the ROM they provided with the utility, so i just went with the utility.

I just used the ROM they provided with the utility, so i just went with the utility.

facepalm.jpg

I tried looking for the .sbf to flash through RSD Lite, and it seems that the only place to really get them was http://sbf.droid-developers.org/which is fucked.

"Rawr XD"

facepalm.jpg

I tried looking for the .sbf to flash through RSD Lite, and it seems that the only place to really get them was http://sbf.droid-developers.org/which is fucked.

Yeah, really inconvenience that the site went down. For many files it says not found, but when i went to the main site, it said forbidden. I am super disappointed right now. I don't think i could save this phone anymore.

Yeah, really inconvenience that the site went down. For many files it says not found, but when i went to the main site, it said forbidden. I am super disappointed right now. I don't think i could save this phone anymore.

I most likely could but then again I'm not there to actually analyze the issue and come up with a solution 

What OEM version of Android was it on before you flashed ROMs on it?

"Rawr XD"

I most likely could but then again I'm not there to actually analyze the issue and come up with a solution 

What OEM version of Android was it on before you flashed ROMs on it?

So, it's an international GSM version, with a TIM Italy OEM ROM on it, 2.3.6, upgraded to 4.0.4, then to 4.1.4, and then to CM11. And now that's where I'm stuck.

So, it's an international GSM version, with a TIM Italy OEM ROM on it, 2.3.6, upgraded to 4.0.4, then to 4.1.4, and then to CM11. And now that's where I'm stuck.

Well, there's no Android 4.1.4.

"Rawr XD"

So is it possible that this phone might have been hard bricked because i accidentally flashed the wrong files? Like i accidentally flashed the CDMA ROM, which came with the utility, for a GSM phone, which i think i did

Well, there's no Android 4.1.4.

Whoops. 4.1.2.

So is it possible that this phone might have been hard bricked because i accidentally flashed the wrong files? Like i accidentally flashed the CDMA ROM, which came with the utility, for a GSM phone, which i think i did

There's definitely a possibility as in the US the RAZR's prominence is through Verizon...

idk what flashing a CDMA ROM onto a GSM device would do as I've never done it, but it's not hard bricked if you can still get into Fastboot

"Rawr XD"

There's definitely a possibility as in the US the RAZR's prominence is through Verizon...

idk what flashing a CDMA ROM onto a GSM device would do as I've never done it, but it's not hard bricked if you can still get into Fastboot

But i don't know how to reverse this. Does this mean trying to search for a GSM ROM to flash? Because it's almost impossible since sbf.xda-developers.org doesn't exist.

Apparently, it's just super hard to find the correct stock ROM when sbf.xda-developers.com went down,

@Aniallation, i think there are actually exact TIM Italy stock ROMs out there, but the sites that actually work, either have to be paid in order to download (stupid, plus very shady site) or is from a website in a language other than english. i think this is harder than i thought.

same thing happened to me when i soft-bricked my xt912, i tried 4 different computers over 4 different OSes and only 1 worked. 

Personal rig, Ubuntu: FAILED

Personal rig, Windows 8: FAILED

iMac 2011, yosemite: FAILED

Custom P4 rig, winXP: FAILED

dell Optiplex 170l, winXP: SUCCESS

Edit: btw: i'm using a verizon xt912.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5