Serious, complex PC problem (if you want some challange)

Go to solution Solved by kristofk,

Good luck reading thiswhole thing, grab a cup of coffee or tee xD

(Skip to the end to see the solution)

I gave my thoughts on the posts, and would advise some people to read it.

windows restall i think, possibly a virus. zipbomb maybe with possibly malware

Virus, nuke, reinstall! :D

Like everybody else has said, nuke it and have a clean copy of Windows.

I figured windows reinstall out myself as well I just wanted a way around it so these posts werent helpful that much..... but read on this isn't the full truth

Ok, thanks guys I'll reinstall tomorrow first thing

here I just taughted that there is no solution........

Like ind3x said, try malwarebytes.

The free version finds the malware, but might not remove it.

Either buy a license or .... to get it working.

If that doesn't find anything, you could try Spyhunter.

Do note: Spyhunter can and will replace critical Windows files if it thinks that's necessary.

If those two fail, try a Windows reinstall.

Like everyone else here, I'm pretty sure it's a virus of some sort.

The free version scans everything the paid version does and removes as much malware as the paid version.

Sounds like a virus, try rebooting into safe mode run a full scan with malwarebytes (make sure to enable rootkit scan), If nothing comes up, It could be quite serious and I reinstall Windows

These tips got me further and were generally helpful but din't solve the problem....

Got to the bold line; It's malware.
The "Microsoft" tech you contacted, was not an actual microsoft tech.

First off, everyone needs to really **** off with the "nuke w1nd0ws eets ded" bull****.
This is a troubleshooting forum, not a place to go to have people tell you to reinstall windows, okay? Sick of this ****.

Second, you have malware.

Download and run:

Adware Removal tool
ADWCleaner
Combofix (Does not run on windows 8.1 but does on 8 and below.)

Hitman Pro

Junkware Removal tool.

Malwarebytes
MSE/Windows Defender

RogueKiller
Spybot S&D 1.6.2
And TDSSKiller.

Run them ALL as an administrator, preferably in safe mode with networking.

Run Rkill first, on every single restart. You will NOT be using your computer during this time, and it's going to take time.

If you gave any info to the "Microsoft" tech, change it. Passwords, credit cards, emails, anything. Change it.

This was very helpful since I din't know these softwares were existing but you didn't read the part where ADOBE SHOCKVAWE ISN'T WORKING so I couldn't download half of these, and which were downloaded sucsessfully found only I malware/virus deleted it and didn't fix anything..... And I agree that people shold give me tips before telling me to reinstall Windows... (but read on)

Not Helpful

Not Helpful

Not Helpful

A little bit helpful but Spyhunter has always fought me while trying to use it/remove it. I consider is malware.

Not Helpful!

COME ON!!!!!

This was rude but hones and had some truth...

Sure, it will fix the problem.
And all he has to do to fix his problem is find enough storage to store all of his data, spend however long transferring however much data he has (potentially Terabytes) , re install windows, re install his potential 300+ programs, put all his data back on, get his settings just right again, and settle in to a basically new computer. SUPER easy.
Sure, it may not be malware! But will you know until you try? Jesus, think before you type.

You also completely glazed over the fact that he called "Microsoft". Did he give them info? Bahh, who cares? Not you. 

Extremely rude but CARING which is nice but I didn't give information other than my name I'm not a complete idiot.

cool... sorry but i have about 2tb of stuff and 150 programs, like a sensible person its backed up and for me to re install windows its about 2 hours, then to get everything exactly how it was before is an extra 2 hours! 4 hours... fixed and working, yes IF he had the space to download a program, for malware go for it. but if you read he doesn't. From my experience i think its a little bit more than malware! as you previously said that he called someone who wasn't Microsoft. and i agree with you there mate. but also it may take hours to find the problem! 

and finally, when people help others, for no money. Just for being a nice person have some respect for them. dont do this

be nice! 

TRUE, I agree with this

Sure. You have 5 years of computer experience. 
When helping on a forum, I assume the person i'm helping has done nothing and is basically only capable of opening chrome and playing games. You really have to. 
If someone is gullible enough to contact the regular fake microsoft scam, and nearly buy their "service", I can only assume that X person doesn't know the fastest or safest ways of installing windows, and may end up in the same virused up situation that they were in before, while trying to get drivers and flash and chrome etc.

Sure, I could have said it nicer. You're right. BUT. I don't care if you're paid or not, don't "help" if you aren't actually going to help. "Re install w1nd0ws l0l m8 u dun guffed" is not helping.
You think I get paid to come to this forum? No. Just like anyone else. But i put the effort in. It's expected of us to help each other, and once again, "Re install w1nd0ws l0l m8 u dun guffed", is not helping.

Now I fell insulted, I don't have much experience with windows true because I use Mac istead of PC most of the time but I am an IOS developer so I'm capable of more than opening chrome. I could reinstall windows but you weere right that it is time consumeing to find and put my data somewhere else.

And the "Microsoft" was legitimate I just probably contaced the one for businesses or something, just search for microsoft support fees in google.

Final Taughtes:

hmmmm try chkdsk in the Command Prompt as an admin, then use your windows disc and select repair to see if that can remedy the issue.

I have no idea what you said about command prompt but you were the closest to the easiest solution....

The virus scans didn't work so not an option.......

Reinstlling is too tedious and long....

However there is an option in Windows 8 to: REFRESH YOUR PC WITHOUT AFFECTING THE FILES

but I had no space and this required 8GBs so I uninstalled everything. This process took 10min at most, it uninstalled many softwares sure but I got a complete list on my desktop afterwards. It also uninstalled thing that I should have done a long time ago. This made tonns of free space and most importantly solved the main issue. NOBODY THOUGHT ABOUT THIS?? so whom suggested to reinstall got the second closest to the solution because that is what I kind of did.

However I didn't really gave status updates on virus scans and everything else which would have ended the argument... sorry

Hi guys,

Currently I am writing this from my tablet since my computer is all over the place.

This problem that I am facing currently occured abut 2hour ago and it is still a problem since.

I contacted Microsoft support via live chat but they asked for a hefty price so I was like naaaaaaaaah lets try Linus Tech Tips first.

My decription of the issue is copyed from the cha and modified just a little:

"No error message.

About an hour ago I paused listening to Spotify and when I continued no sound come from my computer(everything is pluged in correctly) I noticed that when I try to change my volume it says: Sound mixer stopped working(restarting the PC won't solve it) steam won't launch either. Paralelly adobe shockwawe stopped working so youtube isn't loading either(or any other webpage that needs it).

When I try to refresh my PC (in the settings panel or whatever it is called in Windows 8.1) I need 8 GB of storage but I have another issue: I can't seem to find what is taking up so much space.

Also when I insert a CD, It prompts me to choose what to do with it (a tile comes up) and that freeses as well (little spinning circle)."

I have already started a topic about the space issue but I only recieved general diagnostic software and the general tips. I can't diagnose since nothing is working and I can't download anything.

By the way the Microsoft employee replied(I don't think this is really pudlic):

"let me share with you the services

I can give you basic steps for this as that is part of the complimentary service

and that is only for those issue that is easy to fix

Unfortunately, the issue you are having is multiple and very complex

and this could be fixed with the ADVANCED troubleshooting steps

wherein the issue will be resolved in no time today

let me share with you the services okay?"

He also said that it is easy to fix, I must be a complete idiot.

I am running Windows 8.1 64bit

Hi guys,

Currently I am writing this from my tablet since my computer is all over the place.

This problem that I am facing currently occured abut 2hour ago and it is still a problem since.

I contacted Microsoft support via live chat but they asked for a hefty price so I was like naaaaaaaaah lets try Linus Tech Tips first.

"No error message.

About an hour ago I paused listening to Spotify and when I continued no sound come from my computer(everything is pluged in correctly) I noticed that when I try to change my volume it says: Sound mixer stopped working(restarting the PC won't solve it) steam won't launch either. Paralelly adobe shockwawe stopped working so youtube isn't loading either(or any other webpage that needs it).

When I try to refresh my PC (in the settings panel or whatever it is called in Windows 8.1) I need 8 GB of storage but I have another issue: I can't seem to find what is taking up so much space.

Also when I insert a CD, It prompts me to choose what to do with it (a tile comes up) and that freeses as well (little spinning circle)."

I have already started a topic about the space issue but I only recieved general diagnostic software and the general tips. I can't diagnose since nothing is working and I can't download anything.

I can give you basic steps for this as that is part of the complimentary service

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Sounds like some kind of malware.

Try to download and install malwarebytes,

reboot into failsafemode without internet, go through a full scan.

If it doesn't find anything then there's probably nothing there, but you should ofc also run an antivirus scan.

If none of these are positives, then i have absolutely no idea of what is going on.

When in doubt: C4

Sounds like some kind of malware.

Try to download and install malwarebytes,

reboot into failsafemode without internet, go through a full scan.

If it doesn't find anything then there's probably nothing there, but you should ofc also run an antivirus scan.

If none of these are positives, then i have absolutely no idea of what is going on.

Do note: Spyhunter can and will replace critical Windows files if it thinks that's necessary.

OS: Windows 10N -- CPU: Intel i7 8700k @ 4.9GHz -- CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 -- Mobo: Biostar Z370GT6 -- RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @2933MHz

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 8GB FTW -- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 -- Storage1x 960GB Corsair MP510 SSD and 3x 1TB HDD -- PSU: Corsair RM 650x

Monitors: Acer 1440p144 + 1440p60 -- Keyboard: Leopold FC750R -- Mouse: Glorious Model O- -- Headphones: Beyer DT1990 + Schitt Fulla 3 Microphone Samson C01UPRO

The free version scans everything the paid version does and removes as much malware as the paid version.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It should indeed do that but it's failed me in the past.

As long as it works in the end we're good  ;)

OS: Windows 10N -- CPU: Intel i7 8700k @ 4.9GHz -- CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 -- Mobo: Biostar Z370GT6 -- RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @2933MHz

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 8GB FTW -- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 -- Storage1x 960GB Corsair MP510 SSD and 3x 1TB HDD -- PSU: Corsair RM 650x

Monitors: Acer 1440p144 + 1440p60 -- Keyboard: Leopold FC750R -- Mouse: Glorious Model O- -- Headphones: Beyer DT1990 + Schitt Fulla 3 Microphone Samson C01UPRO

Sounds like a virus, try rebooting into safe mode run a full scan with malwarebytes (make sure to enable rootkit scan), If nothing comes up, It could be quite serious and I reinstall Windows

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

hmmmm try chkdsk in the Command Prompt as an admin, then use your windows disc and select repair to see if that can remedy the issue.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Hi guys,

"No error message.

First off, everyone needs to really **** off with the "nuke w1nd0ws eets ded" bull****.

This is a troubleshooting forum, not a place to go to have people tell you to reinstall windows, okay? Sick of this ****.

Download and run:

Adware Removal tool

ADWCleaner

Hitman Pro

Junkware Removal tool.

Malwarebytes

MSE/Windows Defender

RogueKiller

Spybot S&D 1.6.2

And TDSSKiller.

Run Rkill first, on every single restart. You will NOT be using your computer during this time, and it's going to take time.

If you gave any info to the "Microsoft" tech, change it. Passwords, credit cards, emails, anything. Change it.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Not Helpful

Not Helpful

Not Helpful

A little bit helpful but Spyhunter has always fought me while trying to use it/remove it. I consider is malware.

Not Helpful!

COME ON!!!!!

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

Download and run:

Adware Removal tool

ADWCleaner

Hitman Pro

Junkware Removal tool.

Malwarebytes

MSE/Windows Defender

RogueKiller

Spybot S&D 1.6.2

And TDSSKiller.

dude, chill out, its very possible he has more then malware! its a 2 hour job to reinstall windows, and in reality thats what needs doing. 

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

Not Helpful

Not Helpful

Not Helpful

Not Helpful!

COME ON!!!!!

mate what we suggested WILL fix the problem! i have spent the last 5 years diognosing and fixing computers with malware, 42.zips bloatware, Trojans. no matter what this will fix the issue. PIPEDOWN!!

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

mate what we suggested WILL fix the problem! i have spent the last 5 years diognosing and fixing computers with malware, 42.zips bloatware, Trojans. no matter what this will fix the issue. PIPEDOWN!!

And all he has to do to fix his problem is find enough storage to store all of his data, spend however long transferring however much data he has (potentially Terabytes) , re install windows, re install his potential 300+ programs, put all his data back on, get his settings just right again, and settle in to a basically new computer. SUPER easy.

Sure, it may not be malware! But will you know until you try? Jesus, think before you type.

You also completely glazed over the fact that he called "Microsoft". Did he give them info? Bahh, who cares? Not you. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

But all he has to do to fix his problem is find enough storage to store all of his data, spend however long transferring however much data he has, re install windows, re install his potential 300+ programs, put all his data back on, get his settings just right again, and settle in to a basically new computer. SUPER easy.

Sure, it may not be malware. But will you know until you try? Jesus, think before you type.

cool... sorry but i have about 2tb of stuff and 150 programs, like a sensible person its backed up and for me to re install windows its about 2 hours, then to get everything exactly how it was before is an extra 2 hours! 4 hours... fixed and working, yes IF he had the space to download a program, for malware go for it. but if you read he doesn't. From my experience i think its a little bit more than malware! as you previously said that he called someone who wasn't Microsoft. and i agree with you there mate. but also it may take hours to find the problem! 

and finally, when people help others, for no money. Just for being a nice person have some respect for them. dont do this

Not Helpful

Not Helpful

Not Helpful

Not Helpful!

COME ON!!!!!

be nice! 

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

be nice! 

When helping on a forum, I assume the person i'm helping has done nothing and is basically only capable of opening chrome and playing games. You really have to. 

If someone is gullible enough to contact the regular fake microsoft scam, and nearly buy their "service", I can only assume that X person doesn't know the fastest or safest ways of installing windows, and may end up in the same virused up situation that they were in before, while trying to get drivers and flash and chrome etc.

Sure, I could have said it nicer. You're right. BUT. I don't care if you're paid or not, don't "help" if you aren't actually going to help. "Re install w1nd0ws l0l m8 u dun guffed" is not helping.

You think I get paid to come to this forum? No. Just like anyone else. But i put the effort in. It's expected of us to help each other, and once again, "Re install w1nd0ws l0l m8 u dun guffed", is not helping.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

i agree totally until the last paragraph, everyone but you has given similar advise not to say your not good, because if it was me i would honestly do what you said. but i have experience! From what he said i agree he probably isnt tech savvy which is why i told him the easiest way to go about it. and i never said "Re install w1nd0ws l0l m8 u dun guffed"  . my advice was more constructive than that. and i still agree with my advise now "windows restall i think, possibly a virus. zipbomb maybe with possibly malware"

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

Good luck reading thiswhole thing, grab a cup of coffee or tee xD

(Skip to the end to see the solution)

I gave my thoughts on the posts, and would advise some people to read it.

I figured windows reinstall out myself as well I just wanted a way around it so these posts werent helpful that much..... but read on this isn't the full truth

here I just taughted that there is no solution........

These tips got me further and were generally helpful but din't solve the problem....

Download and run:

Adware Removal tool
ADWCleaner

Hitman Pro

Junkware Removal tool.

Malwarebytes
MSE/Windows Defender

RogueKiller
Spybot S&D 1.6.2
And TDSSKiller.

This was very helpful since I din't know these softwares were existing but you didn't read the part where ADOBE SHOCKVAWE ISN'T WORKING so I couldn't download half of these, and which were downloaded sucsessfully found only I malware/virus deleted it and didn't fix anything..... And I agree that people shold give me tips before telling me to reinstall Windows... (but read on)

Not Helpful

Not Helpful

Not Helpful

Not Helpful!

COME ON!!!!!

Extremely rude but CARING which is nice but I didn't give information other than my name I'm not a complete idiot.

be nice! 

TRUE, I agree with this

Now I fell insulted, I don't have much experience with windows true because I use Mac istead of PC most of the time but I am an IOS developer so I'm capable of more than opening chrome. I could reinstall windows but you weere right that it is time consumeing to find and put my data somewhere else.

And the "Microsoft" was legitimate I just probably contaced the one for businesses or something, just search for microsoft support fees in google.

Final Taughtes:

I have no idea what you said about command prompt but you were the closest to the easiest solution....

The virus scans didn't work so not an option.......

Reinstlling is too tedious and long....

However there is an option in Windows 8 to: REFRESH YOUR PC WITHOUT AFFECTING THE FILES

but I had no space and this required 8GBs so I uninstalled everything. This process took 10min at most, it uninstalled many softwares sure but I got a complete list on my desktop afterwards. It also uninstalled thing that I should have done a long time ago. This made tonns of free space and most importantly solved the main issue. NOBODY THOUGHT ABOUT THIS?? so whom suggested to reinstall got the second closest to the solution because that is what I kind of did.

However I didn't really gave status updates on virus scans and everything else which would have ended the argument... sorry

The point of my assuming you know nothing about a computer is not to insult you or call you stupid. At the same time that you may know nothing, you may know way more than me.

BUT. If i'm to take the same steps as I would while working on it, I have to start from scratch. I can't ASSUME, you know what you're doing. If I assume you have done something, skip that step, and move to the next one.... Well that step i skipped because I assumed you did it, may have been the solution.

I thought of the refresh windows options, but truth be told that works about 40% of the time, plus you would lose all your programs anyways (maybe you have 10, maybe you have 10,000. I just don't know.).

What I did was I ASSUMED you have another machine and a USB drive.... Unless you DO have one, My bad. This is why I never assume things.

Am I to understand that your issue is resolved?

Also, Microsoft will NEVER ask for money for service. They will never service your computer. They don't care about the average person, and at most they will look up a local repair shop for you.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

The point of my assuming you know nothing about a computer is not to insult you or call you stupid. At the same time that you may know nothing, you may know way more than me.

BUT. If i'm to take the same steps as I would while working on it, I have to start from scratch. I can't ASSUME, you know what you're doing. If I assume you have done something, skip that step, and move to the next one.... Well that step i skipped because I assumed you did it, may have been the solution.

I thought of the refresh windows options, but truth be told that works about 40% of the time, plus you would lose all your programs anyways (maybe you have 10, maybe you have 10,000. I just don't know.).

What I did was I ASSUMED you have another machine and a USB drive.... Unless you DO have one, My bad. This is why I never assume things.

Am I to understand that your issue is resolved?

Also, Microsoft will NEVER ask for money for service. They will never service your computer. They don't care about the average person, and at most they will look up a local repair shop for you.

Seriously did you Google as I suggested??? Do some research and than post:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245772/microsofts_answer_desk_offers_live_free_and_fee_tech_support.html

"For trickier PC issues you can upgrade to a 60 minute session with premium support for $99, which provides "dedicated one-on-one support" and "comprehensive PC diagnosis." Prices vary, depending on the complexity of your problem or needs."

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2500249/it-management/microsoft-quietly-launches--99-hr--paid-support-service.html

"But there are hints at a possible consolidation: The online chat option for Microsoft's Consumer Security Support Center, a resource for users who suspect that their PCs are infected, now redirects to Answer Desk."

This thread got really long, rude and well, just very long.

@InfinityCaptain did you fix your issue?

This thread got really long, rude and well, just very long.

@InfinityCaptain did you fix your issue?

Yes :) and I agree this thread got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay toooooooooo looooooooooong but it got a lot of views and is still at the top after more than a day XDDD I would pin this in the troubleshooting forum xD

Restart like 5 times first (idk how it works, but for some reason on my old Toshiba Satellite if the battery ran out sound drivers wouldn't work, idk about the other stuff though), try see how stuff goes in safe mode and check it with MalwareBytes.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15