Serious, complex PC problem (if you want some challange)

Go to solution Solved by kristofk,

Good luck reading thiswhole thing, grab a cup of coffee or tee xD

(Skip to the end to see the solution)

I gave my thoughts on the posts, and would advise some people to read it.

windows restall i think, possibly a virus. zipbomb maybe with possibly malware

Virus, nuke, reinstall! :D

Like everybody else has said, nuke it and have a clean copy of Windows.

I figured windows reinstall out myself as well I just wanted a way around it so these posts werent helpful that much..... but read on this isn't the full truth

Ok, thanks guys I'll reinstall tomorrow first thing

here I just taughted that there is no solution........

Like ind3x said, try malwarebytes.

The free version finds the malware, but might not remove it.

Either buy a license or .... to get it working.

If that doesn't find anything, you could try Spyhunter.

Do note: Spyhunter can and will replace critical Windows files if it thinks that's necessary.

If those two fail, try a Windows reinstall.

Like everyone else here, I'm pretty sure it's a virus of some sort.

The free version scans everything the paid version does and removes as much malware as the paid version.

Sounds like a virus, try rebooting into safe mode run a full scan with malwarebytes (make sure to enable rootkit scan), If nothing comes up, It could be quite serious and I reinstall Windows

These tips got me further and were generally helpful but din't solve the problem....

Got to the bold line; It's malware.
The "Microsoft" tech you contacted, was not an actual microsoft tech.

First off, everyone needs to really **** off with the "nuke w1nd0ws eets ded" bull****.
This is a troubleshooting forum, not a place to go to have people tell you to reinstall windows, okay? Sick of this ****.

Second, you have malware.

Download and run:

Adware Removal tool
ADWCleaner
Combofix (Does not run on windows 8.1 but does on 8 and below.)

Hitman Pro

Junkware Removal tool.

Malwarebytes
MSE/Windows Defender

RogueKiller
Spybot S&D 1.6.2
And TDSSKiller.

Run them ALL as an administrator, preferably in safe mode with networking.

Run Rkill first, on every single restart. You will NOT be using your computer during this time, and it's going to take time.

If you gave any info to the "Microsoft" tech, change it. Passwords, credit cards, emails, anything. Change it.

This was very helpful since I din't know these softwares were existing but you didn't read the part where ADOBE SHOCKVAWE ISN'T WORKING so I couldn't download half of these, and which were downloaded sucsessfully found only I malware/virus deleted it and didn't fix anything..... And I agree that people shold give me tips before telling me to reinstall Windows... (but read on)

Not Helpful

Not Helpful

Not Helpful

A little bit helpful but Spyhunter has always fought me while trying to use it/remove it. I consider is malware.

Not Helpful!

COME ON!!!!!

This was rude but hones and had some truth...

Sure, it will fix the problem.
And all he has to do to fix his problem is find enough storage to store all of his data, spend however long transferring however much data he has (potentially Terabytes) , re install windows, re install his potential 300+ programs, put all his data back on, get his settings just right again, and settle in to a basically new computer. SUPER easy.
Sure, it may not be malware! But will you know until you try? Jesus, think before you type.

You also completely glazed over the fact that he called "Microsoft". Did he give them info? Bahh, who cares? Not you. 

Extremely rude but CARING which is nice but I didn't give information other than my name I'm not a complete idiot.

cool... sorry but i have about 2tb of stuff and 150 programs, like a sensible person its backed up and for me to re install windows its about 2 hours, then to get everything exactly how it was before is an extra 2 hours! 4 hours... fixed and working, yes IF he had the space to download a program, for malware go for it. but if you read he doesn't. From my experience i think its a little bit more than malware! as you previously said that he called someone who wasn't Microsoft. and i agree with you there mate. but also it may take hours to find the problem! 

and finally, when people help others, for no money. Just for being a nice person have some respect for them. dont do this

be nice! 

TRUE, I agree with this

Sure. You have 5 years of computer experience. 
When helping on a forum, I assume the person i'm helping has done nothing and is basically only capable of opening chrome and playing games. You really have to. 
If someone is gullible enough to contact the regular fake microsoft scam, and nearly buy their "service", I can only assume that X person doesn't know the fastest or safest ways of installing windows, and may end up in the same virused up situation that they were in before, while trying to get drivers and flash and chrome etc.

Sure, I could have said it nicer. You're right. BUT. I don't care if you're paid or not, don't "help" if you aren't actually going to help. "Re install w1nd0ws l0l m8 u dun guffed" is not helping.
You think I get paid to come to this forum? No. Just like anyone else. But i put the effort in. It's expected of us to help each other, and once again, "Re install w1nd0ws l0l m8 u dun guffed", is not helping.

Now I fell insulted, I don't have much experience with windows true because I use Mac istead of PC most of the time but I am an IOS developer so I'm capable of more than opening chrome. I could reinstall windows but you weere right that it is time consumeing to find and put my data somewhere else.

And the "Microsoft" was legitimate I just probably contaced the one for businesses or something, just search for microsoft support fees in google.

Final Taughtes:

hmmmm try chkdsk in the Command Prompt as an admin, then use your windows disc and select repair to see if that can remedy the issue.

I have no idea what you said about command prompt but you were the closest to the easiest solution....

The virus scans didn't work so not an option.......

Reinstlling is too tedious and long....

However there is an option in Windows 8 to: REFRESH YOUR PC WITHOUT AFFECTING THE FILES

but I had no space and this required 8GBs so I uninstalled everything. This process took 10min at most, it uninstalled many softwares sure but I got a complete list on my desktop afterwards. It also uninstalled thing that I should have done a long time ago. This made tonns of free space and most importantly solved the main issue. NOBODY THOUGHT ABOUT THIS?? so whom suggested to reinstall got the second closest to the solution because that is what I kind of did.

However I didn't really gave status updates on virus scans and everything else which would have ended the argument... sorry

Good luck reading thiswhole thing, grab a cup of coffee or tee xD

(Skip to the end to see the solution)

I gave my thoughts on the posts, and would advise some people to read it.

I figured windows reinstall out myself as well I just wanted a way around it so these posts werent helpful that much..... but read on this isn't the full truth

here I just taughted that there is no solution........

These tips got me further and were generally helpful but din't solve the problem....

This was very helpful since I din't know these softwares were existing but you didn't read the part where ADOBE SHOCKVAWE ISN'T WORKING so I couldn't download half of these, and which were downloaded sucsessfully found only I malware/virus deleted it and didn't fix anything..... And I agree that people shold give me tips before telling me to reinstall Windows... (but read on)

This was rude but hones and had some truth...

Extremely rude but CARING which is nice but I didn't give information other than my name I'm not a complete idiot.

TRUE, I agree with this

Now I fell insulted, I don't have much experience with windows true because I use Mac istead of PC most of the time but I am an IOS developer so I'm capable of more than opening chrome. I could reinstall windows but you weere right that it is time consumeing to find and put my data somewhere else.

And the "Microsoft" was legitimate I just probably contaced the one for businesses or something, just search for microsoft support fees in google.

Final Taughtes:

I have no idea what you said about command prompt but you were the closest to the easiest solution....

The virus scans didn't work so not an option.......

Reinstlling is too tedious and long....

However there is an option in Windows 8 to: REFRESH YOUR PC WITHOUT AFFECTING THE FILES

but I had no space and this required 8GBs so I uninstalled everything. This process took 10min at most, it uninstalled many softwares sure but I got a complete list on my desktop afterwards. It also uninstalled thing that I should have done a long time ago. This made tonns of free space and most importantly solved the main issue. NOBODY THOUGHT ABOUT THIS?? so whom suggested to reinstall got the second closest to the solution because that is what I kind of did.

However I didn't really gave status updates on virus scans and everything else which would have ended the argument... sorry

So if the missing key was to delete 8GB of your os drive, why didn't you just try to do it in the first place???

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Not Helpful

Not Helpful

Not Helpful

A little bit helpful but Spyhunter has always fought me while trying to use it/remove it. I consider is malware.

Not Helpful!

COME ON!!!!!

You complaining it's not helpful isn't helpful. If someone's PC gets infected with malware, sometimes it's better to just start fresh - some malware can be extremely annoying to get rid of and isn't necessarily worth the hassle.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Not Helpful

Not Helpful

Not Helpful

Not Helpful!

COME ON!!!!!

How is this not helpful, I am recommending an in-depth virus scan and if that does not resolve the issue a windows reinstall, the only reason I did not recommend using the Windows refresh feature is that I find the it often does not work and will fail.

Obviously if the virus scan fails to find the virus then the virus has taken control of the OS Kernel or is a really well hidden rootkit and the only to fix that is pretty much a restore or reinstall

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

How is this not helpful, I am recommending an in-depth virus scan and if that does not resolve the issue a windows reinstall, the only reason I did not recommend using the Windows refresh feature is that I find the it often does not work and will fail.

Obviously if the virus scan fails to find the virus then the virus has taken control of the OS Kernel or is a really well hidden rootkit and the only to fix that is pretty much a restore or reinstall

"Let's try one thing and then give up"

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Yeah, I know you can use other tools, even if you do find it, it will probably be highly likely that the OS has been damaged by the virus at this point if it has gotten that deep.

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

Yeah, I know you can use other tools, even if you do find it, it will probably be highly likely that the OS has been damaged by the virus at this point if it has gotten that deep.

I agree that first one should diagnose and try to use software to fix an issue and than if nothing works reinstall windows which is what worked in this case but in other cases something simpler may work just as well.

In my case we might have not been dealing with melware/virus but just simple file corruption/ damaged files by a bad installation or unoptimazed software which started a chain reaction so refreashing Windows was the perfect solution. But again we didn't know that and we will never know for sure.

So if the missing key was to delete 8GB of your os drive, why didn't you just try to do it in the first place???

Because finding 8 GBs of free space on a drive on which you didn't install anything, the only thing taking up the space are temp files, software cache and settings is quiet hard. So I had to delete some files that were important for some other application. I am not an idiot, this was the very thing that I didn't want to do, thats why I said that the software recommendations were helpful and useful. It is a bummer that at the end I had no other choice.

Also in the meantime i found a great guide which gives you tips about how to free up some space, by tips I mean tips are actually useful and doesn't tell me empty the trash. But this was after I had done everything.

Because finding 8 GBs of free space on a drive on which you didn't install anything, the only thing taking up the space are temp files, software cache and settings is quiet hard. So I had to delete some files that were important for some other application. I am not an idiot, this was the very thing that I didn't want to do, thats why I said that the software recommendations were helpful and useful. It is a bummer that at the end I had no other choice.

Also in the meantime i found a great guide which gives you tips about how to free up some space, by tips I mean tips are actually useful and doesn't tell me empty the trash. But this was after I had done everything.

To help you in the future, maybe, try to keep this simple program on hand:

http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/

This thing will visually give you exactly what is taking up what space. Helps me find large files that i want to delete.

Also, for the record, I would have suggested a system restore/Recovery restore. I suggest that a lot :)

To help you in the future, maybe, try to keep this simple program on hand:

http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/

This thing will visually give you exactly what is taking up what space. Helps me find large files that i want to delete.

Also, for the record, I would have suggested a system restore/Recovery restore. I suggest that a lot :)

Thanks, I already use Windirstat but I'll have it a go.