Single-particle ‘spooky action at a distance’ finally demonstrated

http://www.sciencealert.com/spooky-action-at-a-distance-in-a-single-particle-has-been-demonstrated-for-the-first-time

Spooky action at a distance, or quantum entanglement, in a single particle is a strange form of entanglement that could greatly help to improve quantum computing and communications. Unlike regular quantum entanglement, which involves two particles being defined only by being opposites of each other, single particles that are entangled have a wave function that's spread over huge distances, but are never actually in more than one place.

[...]

Publishing in Nature Communications, the team describe how they managed to split a single photon between their labs in Australia and Japan. They then showed that their choice of measurement in one laboratory really did cause a change in the local quantum state in the other lab - proving Einstein wrong almost 90 years after he first declared that single-particle entanglement was evidence that quantum mechanics didn't work.

Is it science? Is it black magic? I don't know but it sounds cool :)

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

...Spooky particle? Is that a scientific term? Really?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I thought this was going to be some weird new game effect.

...Spooky particle? Is that a scientific term? Really?

Yes. It is.

Actually it's just a quote from Einstein.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

I understand the topic but in my opinion thats not really news for this forum. No offense but its more hardcore physics stuff

Intel Core i7 4790K || G.Skill 16GB DDR3 || MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G || Fractal Design Define R5 || Asus Gryphon Z97 || EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 || Crucial MX100 256GB || Noctua NH-D15

A particle demonstrating a weird, inexplicable connection... with itself.

OK, quantum physics has officially gone too far. It needs to stop.

I understand the topic but in my opinion thats not really news for this forum. No offense but its more hardcore physics stuff

It's a stepping stone to quantum computing.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

So if I'm not mistaken, one lab in Australia had split a particle and sent  it to another lab in Japan whereby it changed?

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

So it's not movement that's transferred but other things? Because if you move out to the other facility... How would you keep the other in place. In fact how do you move a particle anyway?

I don't understand so "spooky particle" matches perfect in my opinion. :lol:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I barely understand this, which is normal I supposed since I don't have a degree in physics, but I understand that if harnessed, it could.....really fucking change things. If it could be harnessed to an extreme extent, imagine internet with 0 latency....across the globe.

I summon @LukaP, to save us all from our ignorance of quantum mechanics and physics in general. Please, save us filthy mortals.

So if I'm not mistaken, one lab in Australia had split a particle and sent  it to another lab in Japan whereby it changed?

Apply, or change the state of one particle(lets say from positive to negative), and the state of the other particle changes instantaneously, regardless of distance. Literally, instant, as in at the exact same moment in time, theoretically faster than light can travel (I think, could be wrong there, although technically information can travel faster than light if I remember correctly.)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

how the fk did those guys catch a photon?

last time i checked these things couldn't be watched because of their speed and the particle/wave condition they have.

It's awesome they did this and they found out einstein was wrong(which Bohr already predicted/claimed/said) but is was to be expected, since einstein could only bust this thing by forgetting about it's own relativity theory.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I barely understand this, which is normal I supposed since I don't have a degree in physics, but I understand that if harnessed, it could.....really fucking change things. If it could be harnessed to an extreme extent, imagine internet with 0 latency....across the globe.

I summon @LukaP, to save us all from our ignorance of quantum mechanics and physics in general. Please, save us filthy mortals.

Apply, or change the state of one particle(lets say from positive to negative), and the state of the other particle changes instantaneously, regardless of distance. Literally, instant, as in at the exact same moment in time, theoretically faster than light can travel (I think, could be wrong there, although technically information can travel faster than light if I remember correctly.)

you are thinking about normal quantum entanglement. This is single particle stuff,which is even weirder and I don't quite understand stand it

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

you are thinking about normal quantum entanglement. This is single particle stuff,which is even weirder and I don't quite understand stand it

oh....weird

Information cannot travel faster than c. that is a law.

To quote wiki, since im lazy and the article is trustworthy

The seeming paradox here is that a measurement made on either of the particles apparently collapses the state of the entire entangled system—and does so instantaneously, before any information about the measurement could have reached the other particle (assuming that information cannot travel faster than light). In the quantum formalism, the result of a spin measurement on one of the particles is a collapse into a state in which each particle has a definite spin (either up or down) along the axis of measurement. The outcome is taken to be random, with each possibility having a probability of 50%. However, if both spins are measured along the same axis, they are found to be anti-correlated. This means that the random outcome of the measurement made on one particle seems to have been transmitted to the other, so that it can make the "right choice" when it is measured. The distance and timing of the measurements can be chosen so as to make the interval between the two measurements spacelike, i.e. from any of the two measuring events to the other a message would have to travel faster than light. Then, according to the principles of special relativity, it is not in fact possible for any information to travel between two such measuring events—it is not even possible to say which of the measurements came first, as this would depend on the inertial system of the observer. Therefore the correlation between the two measurements cannot appropriately be explained as one measurement determining the other: different observers would disagree about the role of cause and effect.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

oh....so no quantum speed internet? DAMN YOU PHYSICS!

So...how do they even entangle stuff like this? I assume it's extraordinarily complicated. *tried to read wiki about it....still don't fully comprehend it* Quantum mechanics is a bitch.

By the way, Veritasium explains the phenomenon pretty well: 

Intel Core i7 4790K || G.Skill 16GB DDR3 || MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G || Fractal Design Define R5 || Asus Gryphon Z97 || EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 || Crucial MX100 256GB || Noctua NH-D15

Thats not very scientific and open minded...  remember, once it was LAW that the Earth was flat, and it was obvious to EVERYONE

Maybe there are speeds way faster than light speed, just not for anything that has mass or is part of the electromagnetic spectrum?