DirectX 12 Will Unlock The Performance Of Your CPU

Opcode

Source

We know by now that Microsoft’s DirectX 12 API set to be released as part of Windows 10 will bring significant performance improvements in games, which is mainly thanks to the low-level API granting game developers more control over the graphics cards in PCs, but it seems DirectX 12 has more to it than that.

According to AMD, DirectX 12 will finally unlock the true potential of multi-core CPUs. The semiconductor giant cited Brad Wardell, CEO of Stardock who pointed out that with DirectX 11 and older, no matter how many processing cores your CPU has, only one of them can talk to the GPU at a time.

iVcrO9m.jpg

“I’ve had a lot of meetings with Microsoft, AMD, and a little bit of NVIDIA and Intel – they really need to hit home the fact that DirectX 12, Vulkan, and Mantle, allow all of the cores of your CPU to talk to the video card simultaneously. But everyone’s really iffy about that, because that means acknowledging that for the past several years, only one of your cores was talking to the GPU, and no one wants to go ‘You know by the way, you know that multi-core CPU? It was useless for your games.’” – Brad Wardell

ooRGegX.jpg

Presentation slides from AMD have been released that compare the differences in multi-core CPU utilization with DirectX 11 and DirectX 12, and the results are clear. The company states that because of better CPU and GPU management, DirectX 12 will “allow for new game designs previously considered impossible due to technical limitations of past DirectX APIs”.

rIpMnFg.jpg

It's about time Microsoft picked up the ball.

:), i thought this was announced before hmm ;)

Basically dissing their own CPUs as they are now, to promote DX12

HAHAH! I agree. Nonetheless, I'm quite excited!

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I guess if your CPU sucks maybe... I'm yet to see my cpu above 50% load on any core in any game so I honestly don't expect much of a CPU related performance gain. 

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Finally i can justify the purchase of my 5820K over an i5 4460 :P

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

only reason i bought a 2600k was because  it had 8 threads

i KNEW this was gonna happen sooner or later

same reason i bought a QX6700 back in the day

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i swear microsoft said on gdc 14 that multi thread optimization was the biggest improvement in dx12, i guess this confirms it

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

So...my QX 6850 and Xeon X5450 won't be as heavily loaded in DX 12 games, damn they might actually get a proper chance to kick the shit out of the FX range, considering the X5450 already has a significantly higher IPC.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

If mantle has taught us anything it's that the performance difference between a 4-core and a 8-core will be zero.
Early testing of DirectX 12(from anandtech) support my claim.

DX12 sounds like the best thing happening to PC gaming in last decade.

This shit is hyped beyond the fucking stratosphere.

At the moment i expect to get same fps in DX12 for AAA titles as im getting in CS:GO to be honest.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

At the moment i expect to get same fps in DX12 for AAA titles as im getting in CS:GO to be honest.

Well games do need to be designed to utilize its features.

PMSL

Fine.  You talked me in to it.  I'll get the 5960x.  God.  So pushy. :P

New FX GAMING 16core CPU incomingpost-28682-0-83633000-1427150571.jpg

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

It's quite a huge topology change. Graphics cards have a dedicated controller responsible for queuing jobs to the shaders which we can actually overload with DirectX 12.

New FX GAMING 16core CPU incomingattachicon.gif756669-Spongebob-imagination.jpg

.....that gets flogged by an i series 8 thread CPU (because AMD likes to follow a backwards trend  ;) )

PMSL

The graph can be exaggerated, that big of an increase happens when you're doing so many draw calls that it almost reaches (or more) the capacity of directX 11's draw call. We might be seeing 10-15 fps increase with directX 12, basically what we saw with mantle.

But then again, I could be wrong, and I hope I'm wrong for the better :lol:

the reality is most of software today especially the one who use .NET are need huge single core power. even Microsoft Office will beat 6core weak core with 2 core with horse single core. Windows are build to take advantages of Single Core because Windows actually is not gaming OS, if we serius to make Gaming OS then Windows should be rebuild with different Kernel, WDM, and DIrectX to take advantages of multicores. but when they do that they will lost performance on productivity software. its simply PC cant have console-like OS, and console can't have PC-like OS.

Games themselves need to be more demanding before this will actually help anyone with a high end CPU :-( so all of this directX12 bs means nothing (for gamers) when games can't even utilize 100% of a single thread for decent CPU's

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

“I’ve had a lot of meetings with Microsoft, AMD, and a little bit of NVIDIA and Intel – they really need to hit home the fact that DirectX 12, Vulkan, and Mantle, allow all of the cores of your CPU to talk to the video card simultaneously. But everyone’s really iffy about that, because that means acknowledging that for the past several years, only one of your cores was talking to the GPU, and no one wants to go ‘You know by the way, you know that multi-core CPU? It was useless for your games.’” – Brad Wardell

I mean seriously, it took them this long >.<.

Still exciting stuff, can't wait for Windows 10

Also, *looking at your Blizzard*, their games are so badly optimized, so heavily single threaded. Games running on 1 core, those main calculations done on 1 core, some minor parts on others (means almost nothing), not spreaded evenly.

And will this unlock my FX-8350 in to 5960X xD?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |