8x GTX 980, but only 7 is wokring

Why the fuck does it matter?  Interrogating him doesn't really solve his issue.

So all the cards work individually OP?  (In that the issue is that only 7 of any 8 cards work at once?)

The motherboard has 8x PCI-E 3.0x16 slots and 2x PCI-E 3.0 x8 slots.  Might be worth swapping between them and seeing if that fixes it.

Anyway what I would recommend is downloading display driver uninstaller with all 8 cards installed and doing a quick reinstall of the drivers.  Maybe something went wrong.

40 PCI-E lanes should be enough so I don't think it's that.  Could be a faulty riser if you're using one of those.

Thanks, ill try that when i arrive at work, is there a upper limit in window for this? because we got all the card in ubuntu up and running ?

It's getting late (02.22) her in norway, so I will post some pictures two morrow(today) and the results offcourse

Thanks, ill try that when i arrive at work, is there a upper limit in window for this? because we got all the card in ubuntu up and running ?

I dunno.  Seems like the sort of thing that would be limited on the driver level.  But 7 would be a weird number to limit it to.  And you did say it seemed to work at first before updating drivers.  

I asked him questions and explained some things... why be a tosser about it? I'm just making a point that this makes 0 sense for any industrial application.

You made half a dozen posts asking why he's using 980's.

It doesn't fucking matter why he's doing it. If you're curious just ask once and stop challenging his decision to use them every step of the way.  It's obnoxious and rude and doesn't help him at all.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

i will say start with 2 or 3 GPU plugged in and start the PC

then verify using GPU-Z ID or Device manager and see if the system detects the 3 GPUs

then add more cards in until the 8th GPUs

if all goes well they should be running by themselves

otherwise i will suggest running all the 8 GPUs off one PSU instead of split power and see what will happen

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

PICTURES and FULL SPECS!!!! 

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

• 11 months later...
On 3/20/2015 at 1:23 AM, ingar195 said:

Hey

I'm building a rack mountable dual xenon E5-2690 (12cores@2.6-3.5GHz), with 8x GTX 980 and dual redundant 1200w psu's, and all of this is fitting inside a slightly modded 4.5u cabinet.

This is not a sli configuration, all card are "standalone".

So after i got this up and running, i on the first boot all gpu's where up and running in device manager, i didn't test the outputs, so im' not sure if all the card have ever worked at the same time. But after the first reboot (for the driver), only 7 out of 8 cards worked... I have tested the card's, so i know that all of them is wokring, bt im not able to get them all wokring at the same time.

Any suggestions?

j9KEhoV.jpg

Seriously? Xenon?
Xenon is a type of light..

You mean: Xeon

5 minutes ago, SilentDecode said:

Seriously? Xenon?
Xenon is a type of light..

You mean: Xeon

clear!

main-qimg-8f2854a029e50be8a5cd5504d36a49

:P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Saw the title was sure Linus has setup a dummy account to ask noob questions about the setup he got, seems thats not the case lol. 

1. Checking PCi-E lanes.

Mobo = 8 * 16x PCI-E = Check

CPUs = 40 lanes per CPU, for a total of 80 = check

2. Reading product page.

'' (Both CPUs need to be installed for full access to PCI-E slots and onboard controllers. See manual block diagram for details.) ''

Are you sure you installed the graphics cards, as Supermicro intended?

3. Does the 8th GPU even function, in a single GPU setup?

4. Check the power draw, the system may struggle powering the 8th GPU. Which is not unrealistic, especially if one of the PSUs is indeed faulty.

Lastly, contact customer support and make it abundantly clear that you have in fact bought 8 980s and two 12 core xeons. Customer with money are generally treated better, especially if you display some level of technical expertise.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum