8x GTX 980, but only 7 is wokring

Hey

I'm building a rack mountable dual xenon E5-2690 (12cores@2.6-3.5GHz), with 8x GTX 980 and dual redundant 1200w psu's, and all of this is fitting inside a slightly modded 4.5u cabinet.

This is not a sli configuration, all card are "standalone".

So after i got this up and running, i on the first boot all gpu's where up and running in device manager, i didn't test the outputs, so im' not sure if all the card have ever worked at the same time. But after the first reboot (for the driver), only 7 out of 8 cards worked... I have tested the card's, so i know that all of them is wokring, bt im not able to get them all wokring at the same time.

Any suggestions?

j9KEhoV.jpg

you need more lanes

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Hey

I'm building a rack mountable dual xenon E5-2690 (12cores@2.6-3.5GHz), with 8x GTX 980 and dual redundant 1200w psu's, and all of this is fitting inside a slightly modded 4.5u cabinet.

This is not a sli configuration, all card are "standalone".

So after i got this up and running, i on the first boot all gpu's where up and running in device manager, i didn't test the outputs, so im' not sure if all the card have ever worked at the same time. But after the first reboot (for the driver), only 7 out of 8 cards worked... I have tested the card's, so i know that all of them is wokring, bt im not able to get them all wokring at the same time.

Any suggestions?

Well if you're running them redundant, it won't be anywhere near enough to power 8 of them first off.

What motherboard are you using?

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Do you have 2 1200W psus which are redundant (4 in total), or is it only one redundant power supply? 1200W seem a bit low for dual xeons and 8 980s

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

I'm guessing you're using those flexible PCIe extenders, have you tested those ?

OP 8 gtx 980?

Pics or didn't happen

I will upload some pictures when i arrive for work

so its a work pc, not your personal? xD

Why do you need 8 980s for a workstation... Even to me that sounds a bit ridiculous.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Do you have 2 1200W psus which are redundant (4 in total), or is it only one redundant power supply? 1200W seem a bit low for dual xeons and 8 980s

qlLsoTy.pnghope this explanes

this explanes

Thats... that's not how redundant PSUs work... And why do you have the CPUs wired to different supplies anyway?

Well if you're running them redundant, it won't be anywhere near enough to power 8 of them first off.

What motherboard are you using?

the moterboard is: Super X9DRG-OTF-CPU

the moterboard is: Super X9DRG-OTF-CPU

Well... I think you don't have the right CPU... the 2690 doesn't have 12 cores... it has 8.

...why do you need 8 980s, again?

.........what in the hell would someone use that for?

Well... I think you don't have the right CPU... the 2690 doesn't have 12 cores... it has 8.

...why do you need 8 980s, again?

That's what I'm saying.

Must be some seriously insane skyrim mods going on, and like.....eight 4k monitors.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Thats... that's not how redundant PSUs work... And why do you have the CPUs wired to different supplies anyways

It works, so i didn't think about it

It works, so i didn't think about it

Again, what do you need 8 980s for? It could give us some insight.

.........what in the hell would someone use that for?

That's what I'm saying.

Must be some seriously insane skyrim mods going on, and like.....eight 4k monitors.

Simulator usage:

skip to 0:36

that is our current rig

24 projectors and 24 GTX680

Simulator usage:

that is our current rig

24 projectors and 24 GTX680

......How much did that cost to build? I want one for Star Citizen lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

-snip-

I have a problem believing that... work like that would be using quadros, not gtx cards.

Back me up Trik'Stari?

......How much did that cost to build? I want one for Star Citizen lol

not allowed to answer that it's confidential

I have a problem believing that... work like that would be using quadros, not gtx cards.

Back me up Trik'Stari?

quadros are expensive, and i live in norway and a gtx 980 costs about 6300 nok (780usd) and the quadro 5200k costs about 25000nok (3100usd)

Back me up Trik'Stari?

Why the fuck does it matter?  Interrogating him doesn't really solve his issue.

So all the cards work individually OP?  (In that the issue is that only 7 of any 8 cards work at once?)

The motherboard has 8x PCI-E 3.0x16 slots and 2x PCI-E 3.0 x8 slots.  Might be worth swapping between them and seeing if that fixes it.

Anyway what I would recommend is downloading display driver uninstaller with all 8 cards installed and doing a quick reinstall of the drivers.  Maybe something went wrong.

40 PCI-E lanes should be enough so I don't think it's that.  Could be a faulty riser if you're using one of those.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

quadros are expensive, and i live in norway and a gtx 980 costs about 6300 nok (780usd) and the quadro 5200k costs about 25000nok (3100usd)

I know, but if it's industrial, you aren't paying for them... it doesn't make sense to get 980s..

Why the fuck does it matter?  Interrogating him doesn't really solve his issue.

I asked him questions and explained some things... why be a tosser about it? I'm just making a point that this makes 0 sense for any industrial application.

It never was a question of lanes, and telling him what slots are on that board doesn't do anything.