Microsoft wants to put Windows 10 on your Android phone

ahhming

Wonder if there will be a way to use it on project Ara. I'd definitely get another processor module to take advantage of that.

Who told you it was crap?

because you certainly probably have not used it lol. The UI for WP8.1 is awesome, the only thing it lacks is app support. And it's more of Google's fault lol

Nobody 'told' me. I made that opinion out of my own usage case.

People talking up Windows Phone either haven't tried a decent mobile OS or are just experiencing buyers remorse on a grand scale.

Linux is never going to become mainstream because the average user is too stupid to use it. And then if you make Linux so windows-like that it's a carbon copy, what's the point? Windows 10 will be free anyway.

That's where steam os is supposed to step in and make the experience more accessible for dem newbs. And don't underestimate the average user, usually he's lazy rather than actually too stupid. I have "converted" a couple of such users to linux myself, none of them would go back.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I hope it gets ported to the One M8 so I can try it.

I think that will be pretty likely considering there is already a Windows Phone 8 versio...

Nevermind, just realized you said One M8, not One M9, my bad :P

Perhaps though? Someone might make a custom ROM for it anyway.

That's where steam os is supposed to step in and make the experience more accessible for dem newbs. And don't underestimate the average user, usually he's lazy rather than actually too stupid. I have "converted" a couple of such users to linux myself, none of them would go back.

The thing about SteamOS is that it's not designed as a Desktop Replacement OS. It's designed as a console OS. Sure, you can have a full desktop experience, but not out of the box. Something like Ubuntu is still better suited for newbs.

One can hope, but I certainly don't think SteamOS is going to drastically change the amount of users that switch from Windows to Linux.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I think that will be pretty likely considering there is already a Windows Phone 8 versio...

Nevermind, just realized you said One M8, not One M9, my bad :P

Actually the M8 has a WP version. I would expect all devices that have WP8 versions to receive the port.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

One can hope, but I certainly don't think SteamOS is going to drastically change the amount of users that switch from Windows to Linux.

I can dream I suppose  :rolleyes:

Still, steamOS is still very early in its life, things may change drastically as time goes on and as users give valve their feedback.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

People talking up Windows Phone either haven't tried a decent mobile OS or are just experiencing buyers remorse on a grand scale.

Your opinion is valid, but I believe your generalization is unfair.  I own 6 phones.  2 iPhones, 3 android (all newer phones) and a Windows Phone.  Minus all the shortcomings, My WP is my daily driver.  Why?  Great camera, OneNote, OneDrive, Calender syncs, and Cortana. 

The real crazy thing is the fact that even though WP is stuck in it's "app paradox" and missing a ton of functionality a phone like my G2 can do, the WP executes being my "personal data assistant" better than the other 5 phones.  Having more things done with less gestures is the most important thing to me, and WP delivers, despite your inaccurate generalization that I "haven't tried another mobile OS / buyers remorse".

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

smackclerk, on 19 Mar 2015 - 02:10 AM, said:

One of the most ignorant things I've ever seen lol

Everyone and their mother has used an iOS and an Android phone in their life. There are things that make Windows Phone a great experience.

"Buyers remorse". Ignorant.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

There are things that make Windows Phone a great experience.

For example? Preferably things that are unique to WP.

For example? Preferably things that are unique to WP.

Cortana?  What I just said above his post?

Why are people acting like there are absolutely zero reasons to own a Windows Phone?  That idea is an uninformed opinion at best. I mean, I love a fun pitchforkfest and hatewagon ride as much as the next guy, but come on. -.-

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

Actually the M8 has a WP version. I would expect all devices that have WP8 versions to receive the port.

Ahh yes, you're right. For some reason I thought it was the One M9 that got the Windows version, but I'm wrong. In my head, I was thinking the M8 was the M7, and the M9 was the M8.

In any case, someone might come up with a ROM to load Windows 10 onto the Android version. I don't know if they've successfully loaded WP 8.1 onto the Android version, but this was something people have been trying to do for some time now.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Oh geez dude, you need to get with it. Linux rules EVERYTHING besides desktop PCs. It runs on servers, TVs, phones (android), and many other devices. Also, Linux is getting easier and easier to use as time goes on. Even now, an average user (my mom for example) could use Linux as a daily driver because all she does on her laptop is email, basic microsoft office (she could use LibreOffice or Google Drive), and web browsing. Linux is becoming more user friendly because more people are starting to use it and more people are developing for it.

Why would I care what servers run on? I know they do. I know Android is on most smartphones, etc. For my home PC it's windows and it's going to stay that way for a very long time. Linux is not making gains in desktops at all. It's staying around the 5% and doesnt move higher or down at least not enough to account for error margings. Linux is barely ahead of windows xp.

Why are people acting like there are absolutely zero reasons to own a Windows Phone?  That idea is an uninformed opinion at best. I mean, I love a fun pitchforkfest and hatewagon ride as much as the next guy, but come on. -.-

iOS and Android have personal assistants as well, and from what I can tell they are at the very least on par.

There are also rumors about Cortana being ported to Android and iOS, but that might turn out to be false.

Oh geez dude, you need to get with it. Linux rules EVERYTHING besides desktop PCs. It runs on servers, TVs, phones (android), and many other devices. Also, Linux is getting easier and easier to use as time goes on. Even now, an average user (my mom for example) could use Linux as a daily driver because all she does on her laptop is email, basic microsoft office (she could use LibreOffice or Google Drive), and web browsing. Linux is becoming more user friendly because more people are starting to use it and more people are developing for it.

What? That's not relevant at all.

1. Linux have been ruling the "Server" world for the last 25 years. Have you seen Linux suddenly become a mainstream desktop OS in the last 25 years? Nope, it still has like 3% marketshare.

2. Android (Which is essentially a linux distro) made huge strides because there was ONE COMPANY developing for it: Google. Fragmentation of the Linux desktop space is - in my mind - the number one issue holding Linux back from becoming a Mainstream Desktop OS. Furthermore, the biggest issue with Android even to this day is fragmentation. You've got dozens of forks (some minor, some fairly major, like Amazon's OS), you've got different versions all over the place, from all the way back to 1.6 era all the way to 5.1, and you've got manufacturers who abandon their devices 6 months after release so often you won't even get the latest updates.

Google is trying to address these problems by things such as the Nexus program, Google Play Edition, and the Android "Silver" program. They realize that fragmentation is their enemy, but given the state of the android market, fixing that fragmentation is going to be very difficult.

Linux has potential to become Mainstream, yes. But there are still issues holding it back. User Friendliness has always been one of those issues. While there have been good strides recently in this area, such as Ubuntu's Unity desktop, or similar, there's still a lot of room for improvement. The CLI Terminal is still needed in many distro's, and even in the best - easiest - ones, if something goes wrong? Good luck troubleshooting unless you're a power user or a IT professional.

We'll see though. Maybe Linux can pull it together, or maybe one Distro will take over and unite the fragmented space.

These guys worship Linus I guess

I started taking what Linus had to say with a grain of salt after he canned the Surface 3. lol

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

iOS and Android have personal assistants as well, and from what I can tell they are at the very least on par.

There are also rumors about Cortana being ported to Android and iOS, but that might turn out to be false.

Right, well, let's talk about what aren't just rumors.  

Siri, Google Now and Skyvi (Android voice and the many clones) don't come close to the functionality of Cortana.  This isn't just speculation on my part, I have actually tried to implement them into my routine.  This is why the iPhone 5 nor G2 manage my business, Cortana helps me in areas the other two cannot.  And it is for this very reason my Windows phone is my main... but it's the only reason.  The second a better alternative arises, I'm bailing.  The lack of app functionality is killing me.

Ahh yes, you're right. For some reason I thought it was the One M9 that got the Windows version, but I'm wrong. In my head, I was thinking the M8 was the M7, and the M9 was the M8.

In any case, someone might come up with a ROM to load Windows 10 onto the Android version. I don't know if they've successfully loaded WP 8.1 onto the Android version, but this was something people have been trying to do for some time now.

i actually tried to see if anybody was already able to use 8.1 into a zenphone.. (im also looking at the new zenphone 2 and it's 4gb ram!!!!!)

sadly, it seems it's still an idea for now, though

I hope it gets ported to the One M8 so I can try it.

The HTC one M8 already comes in a windows phone flavor, I think you can just load windows on now with 8.1 if you wanted....same exact hardware, they just laser etched a windows logo on the back of the case

IF they make it available for the S2(I know its old) I may try it, but I am not sacrificing my G3. Even if its reversible.

However, if W10 for phones had version for those cheaper samsung phones, and was light weight like other previous version, it would make them really fast 

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Uhhhhh......
post-155575-0-93217500-1426833428.gif

no

post-155575-0-93217500-1426833428.gif

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL