Two GTX 980 vs Titan X

legend8887

I'm not upgrading but I'm just curious if I had two GTX 980 and how that would compare to one Titan X.

sli would rekt that titanx

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

two 980s will be better in games that can use SLI

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 980's would be "slightly" better. Well not by 5% but not by 50% or 45%. I mean stock at least.

Groomlake Authority

I'm more curious about 970 SLI v Titan X. The reason is then we can see how much power we are getting from two fairly well priced cards vs this monster of a card, I think it would be interesting to see.

According to those benchmarks in 4K the Titan X is almost as fast as a GTX980SLI... those few frames difference and that from a single GPU... this is everything BUT wrecking it.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

SLI 980s would be a bit faster in most situations.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm more curious about 970 SLI v Titan X. The reason is then we can see how much power we are getting from two fairly well priced cards vs this monster of a card, I think it would be interesting to see.

They'd perform about the same. An R9 295x2 would perform a bit better than the titan x and be cheaper than both solutions.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I wish they would stop including shitty Ubi games in the benchmarks. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

But yeah those benchmarks are insane. The Titan X might be the greatest Titan yet in terms of performance per dollar. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

They'd perform about the same. An R9 295x2 would perform a bit better than the titan x and be cheaper than both solutions.

I guess so, if LTT did a review or comparison then I think it would show people that you don't need to top of the range Titan X, rather save the cash and SLI 2 970's, but yeah or you could go with the R9 295x2 and be sorted. 

I guess so, if LTT did a review or comparison then I think it would show people that you don't need to top of the range Titan X, rather save the cash and SLI 2 970's, but yeah or you could go with the R9 295x2 and be sorted. 

A GTX970 2way SLI loses against a Titan X in most scenarios and is a snack in 4K. The raw computing power of the 1664Cuda is just a bit too slim. If you are looking for a cheaper solution a R9 295x2 is a good choice.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

SLI Builds look better anyway and u couldn't even oc the titan to much cus apparently it gets REALLY HOT

A GTX970 2way SLI loses against a Titan X in most scenarios and is a snack in 4K. The raw computing power of the 1664Cuda is just a bit too slim. If you are looking for a cheaper solution a R9 295x2 is a good choice.

Hey can I see a pic of your build it looks amazing from from what I read

A Titan X still has more than 3 times as much VRAM, so theoretically in 4K it should dominate.

who cares...

TTmL7ky.png

980 SLI wins more times than it loses.

LOve how they overclocked the Titan X but left the 980's at stock. I want to see overclocked vs overclocked numbers 

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

Hey can I see a pic of your build it looks amazing from from what I read

Which one?

I just think the Titan sits in a somewhat uncomfortable spot. Yes it's better at 4K but by the time 4k gaming is relevant to anybody it won't be the biggest baddest card out there anymore. 

Nothing to take away from the card, we can only improve so much at a time but still. 

I just think the Titan sits in a somewhat uncomfortable spot. Yes it's better at 4K but by the time 4k gaming is relevant to anybody it won't be the biggest baddest card out there anymore. 

Nothing to take away from the card, we can only improve so much at a time but still. 

Weird... I play pretty much already a year in 4K... so how can this not be relevant be today for enthusiast like me?

Weird... I play pretty much already a year in 4K... so how can this not be relevant be today for enthusiast like me?

Well by relevant I meant to the general (at least high end) consumer. Until the first benchmarks to come out are in 4k and not 1440 or 1080. I think a lot of people for which <<Money aint a thang>> still opted for higher rates 1440p monitors.

By all means if you can obtain the golden standard of 60FPS/HZ+ standard all pumped up at Ultra then great for you, I'm sure I would if i could like you. I just think you're a really, really, really small percentage of the consumer pop even among  enthusiasts which is why I think the Titan X's window isn't that favorable in terms of getting a larger portion of the market to buy it, because really you could argue it's as good as two GTX 980's relative to cost (1100+ (if you have the higher tier designs) but only in settings where people aren't playing right now or undue further cost.

What I mean is that the Titan X could have logically been the best dollar for dollar cost of ultra tier if 4K were further implemented. 

Well by relevant I meant to the general (at least high end) consumer. Until the first benchmarks to come out are in 4k and not 1440 or 1080. I think a lot of people for which <<Money aint a thang>> still opted for higher rates 1440p monitors.

By all means if you can obtain the golden standard of 60FPS/HZ+ standard all pumped up at Ultra then great for you, I'm sure I would if i could like you. I just think you're a really, really, really small percentage of the consumer pop even among  enthusiasts which is why I think the Titan X's window isn't that favorable in terms of getting a larger portion of the market to buy it, because really you could argue it's as good as two GTX 980's relative to cost (1100+ (if you have the higher tier designs) but only in settings where people aren't playing right now or undue further cost.

What I mean is that the Titan X could have logically been the best dollar for dollar cost of ultra tier if 4K were further implemented. 

I see your point, very true. People like Vlad and I are not consumers anymore when it comes to PC Hardware. I see us more on the prosumer side.

I see your point, very true. People like Vlad and I are not consumers anymore when it comes to PC Hardware. I see us more on the prosumer side.

That said I'm still eagerly awaiting you and Vlad's test scores. And even more when the 390's come out. How much of a blow would it be to Nvidia to see a titan card lose to a regular AMD card?