Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

upgraded from a 670 to a 780

What's wrong with the 780 compared to a 670? Or is it the fact you didn't go for a 900 series card?

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Got an H80i and gave my tower cooler to a friend, pump was loud, so i bought a new tower cooler.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

I bought a 50$ Phanteks Cpu cooler.  It works alright but I should went with liquid cooling because I want to overclock and it's a little bit loud.

Then get a Noctua or Dark Rock

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Went to go install the Corsair H100i All in One cooler and I was new to removing heatsinks. I ended up tearing out my AMD 6350 and ripping out about 10 pins because I pulled the stock cooler off too hard. :/ Kinda sucked but now I'm running an 8350!

Good thing it wasnt the motherboard pins (like Intel)

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

I use a small amount soap, a towel and some water to clean thermal paste from my CPU's because I always forget the alcohol.

But hey, it works!

Don't kill me.

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

Maybe my CPU choice honestly.

I could have gotten a 4670k for almost the same price but i saw that plenty of games were beginning to recommend 8 cores so I panicked last minute.

Lol, what farking games are recommending 8 cores?

I use a small amount soap, a towel and some water to clean thermal paste from my CPU's because I always forget the alcohol.

But hey, it works!

Don't kill me.

No, but you might kill your CPU and Flutter Shy will be upset with you

Good thing it wasnt the motherboard pins (like Intel)

I ripped out my socket A Athlon CPU's back in the day because the thermal paste would dry like glue and yank the CPU right out of the stockets, even with lever down, it scared the shit outa me.

cpu_stuck_on_heatsink_by_photopala-d4mjv

I once bought an alienware power supply np-1000 which was too big for my case an had to cut the bottom of my case out.

talk about low budget lol

| CPU  Intel i5 4690K OC @ 4.8 Ghz  | Motherboard  Gigabyte Z97X Gaming-7 | RAM  Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 |

| GPU  Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming |Storage  Crucial M550 128GB M.2 Type 2280 Internal SSD | PSU  Ultra X4 1000 Watt Fully Modular ATX Power Supply |

| Case Cougar EVOLUTION Full Tower Gaming Case | Cooling  Corsair H100 | Operating System  Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit |

My biggest mistake was purchasing a i74770k+780 in preparation for the first planned release of GTAV for PC, had i known Rockstar was going to fuck around so much i would have saved the $2300 AUD i spent on my build back then and picked up a i74790k+980 today for the same price :(

Don't get me wrong its still a great PC and i got a little use out of it but not a whole lot, i have a decent enough laptop that i would have held off on the desktop until now had i known about the never ending delays.  

-> First building my computer 

-> Everything plugged in for the first time

-> Had one fan plugged into the deceptive 3-pin VRM Test header. Computer wouldn't boot.

-> It stayed like that for three days before I rebuilt the entire thing.

also: wasn't thinking and recommended a 4670k to a friend. he bought it. 

the 4690k is newer and cheaper   

oops.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Attempting to Theme windows 7 beyond the basic stuff.
My machine BSOD'd so frequently due to the dodgy shenanigans required to change out the custom interface... Not happy with me there. (VistaGlazz anybody?) 
(Yay Gnome and again being lazy and using a friend to do all the artwork for the assets and stealing his setup because it's effectively yours in a different colour. )

S'pose the other big mistake I have ever done to my machine would be let it render out a 40 billion particle scene in 3DS max for a week... for a 30 minute test... Next time, I'll drop those extra two 0s. 

~ Al Baciere Al Lupo

I ripped out my socket A Athlon CPU's back in the day because the thermal paste would dry like glue and yank the CPU right out of the stockets, even with lever down, it scared the shit outa me.

cpu_stuck_on_heatsink_by_photopala-d4mjv

I've done that 4 times on AMD chips. Arctic silver was the paste on the last time, but it was stock on the first three.

Don't get me wrong, I loves myself my AMD, but it still scares me half to death.

~ Al Baciere Al Lupo

Lol, what farking games are recommending 8 cores?

Watch Dogs. AC: Unity. Advanced warfare. From what I can remember from the top of my head.

Quick google search----( The Witcher 3, GTA V, Far Cry 4)

Spoiler

CPU:FX 8350 4.4 ghz (Upgrading to a 6700k!).Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R 2.0 (Upgrading to a Z170 Pro4!).GPU: Sapphire R9 290 (Arctic Cooler).RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS3 (Upgrading to 16gb ddr4 2400mhz!) PSU: Cooler Master B700. HDD: 120gb Hyper X Fury SSD, 500gb 5400rpm Caviar Blue Cooling: Hyper 212 (Switiching out with a Be Quiet! Pure Rock Slim for new build) 2x stock case fans.
Future Upgrades: h100i cooler, corsair sp120 fans, 1080p monitor, AMD->Intel CPU Switch

Watch Dogs. AC: Unity. Advanced warfare. From what I can remember from the top of my head.

Quick google search----( The Witcher 3, GTA V, Far Cry 4)

Of course they recommend 8 core AMD cpus, which still don't perform as well as intels 4 cores

When I upgraded my GPU, I went from a 560Ti to a 650Ti BOOST SC expecting a massive performance boost. Nope. I knew next to nothing about video cards at the time, and really wish I would have done research. I probably would have had a 580 right now had I crunched my numbers and done my homework.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

bought more mechanical keyboards than I actually need....

Don't you usually only need one per computer? The math really isn't that hard...

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I plugged a 4 pin floppy connector into a CD aux connector on a sound card when I was quite young. The blue smoke that made the sound card work escaped.

So did the card still work or naw? :)

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Maybe my CPU choice honestly.

I could have gotten a 4670k for almost the same price but i saw that plenty of games were beginning to recommend 8 cores so I panicked last minute.

I did the same thing when the specs were released for BF4. I was out of the game so I wasn't sure who was better at the time, so I looked for 6 core CPU's and bought the FX6350 for the price thinking it'd be better than a 4 core intel. Boy was I wrong....

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo