HP Pavilion Revamp: Plan B

QueenDemetria

http://prntscr.com/86kd7u that is on huge thumbnail

http://prntscr.com/86kdpv that is original.

the other pic of the soundblaster cards works fine.

could you try re-uploading a pic?

The broken one above:

http://imgur.com/OtSYpZC

and the broken one from before:

http://imgur.com/R2lzreU

The broken one above:

http://imgur.com/OtSYpZC

and the broken one from before:

http://imgur.com/R2lzreU

lol just fine. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Huh, Those pics are fine, but the other one haven't fixed them selves. Weird.

I hope that won't happen again. Thanks for helping me diagnose it.

Yeah I'm hardcore :P But I like building difficult PC's. Since I worked at BestBuy and Microcenter, I have built(and fixed) many "easy" computers, so I don't have fun with them anymore. I build the computers that nobody else wants to build :P

I have to photoshop some cables that I want to sleeve, but I should really reply to some of my PMs(I feel teribad with my AFK, should do this first).

this reminds me of a qoute form the great GreenHamGaming

''theres no fun in watching a fast computer, do fast things, fast. 

whats fun is doing difficult things, working on slow computers, and dealing with impossibly stupid cases.''

paraphrasing ofcourse. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Huh, Those pics are fine, but the other one haven't fixed them selves. Weird.

I hope that won't happen again. Thanks for helping me diagnose it.

whelp, it happened again. off to imgur support.

Here is my buddy's HP Pavilion P6653W, has a Phenom ii x6 1055t, 5Gb 1333, GTX 670. He is upgrading the motherboard, case and cpu cooler in a week or so but I guess I will post this picture of it before it becomes an HP no longer :)

3hpGAhQ.jpg

This is @Poohy14 s main rig :P

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

what RAM config does he have to get 5GB? one stick of 2GB and one of 3GB or something? :huh:

Probably 2x512MB and 2x2GB, if he were normal at least lol

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Probably 2x512MB and 2x2GB, if he were normal at least lol

You win :P

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

You win :P

*pew pew pew with fingers* *blows on fingertips*

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

• 1 month later...

this reminds me of a qoute form the great GreenHamGaming

''theres no fun in watching a fast computer, do fast things, fast. 

whats fun is doing difficult things, working on slow computers, and dealing with impossibly stupid cases.''

paraphrasing ofcourse. 

You watch Green Ham Gaming!

I Love his videos. I have watched them all like 3 times each.

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

You watch Green Ham Gaming!

I Love his videos. I have watched them all like 3 times each.

his 2003 gaming pc vid. <3

MMM

he's actually the one that taught me that buying used is a good idea. xP

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Aaaaand I am back once again after a long AFK, but “Good news everyone” since I am finally getting my life on track and I should hopefully have more “me” time starting next week. I won't get into what I've been through since its personal, but luckily I've gotten past a lot of bullshit. For now though its time to start working on Plan B again and really giving it a revamp( I also have a few more short term build logs coming up soon so watch out for those :)). 

During my AFK time I've really thought about this machine and what I want it to be, and in short I want an elegant, functional piece of art. The wood paneling and black interior will be the main focus of this build, however I'm focusing on the little details too, like screws. I hate the way standard PC screws look, to me they look cheap and painting them black barely helps, but I have a solution to this:

s3b7nao.jpg

I got stainless steel since they were on sale, however I plan on getting regular steel(?) black ones since they will fit the build better. I got these for other builds and test fitting, and they were a total success so I'm going to get more.

I'm also going to do the rainbow 24 pin like so:

ZzcAzxb.jpg

This is just an example I made, my ideal cable wont look like this. Sleeving is very popular and pretty easy, however I really don't like the way it looks. Instead I'm trying to source HV thick insulation wire, which should give a cleaner look.

And that's all for now, I've disbanded my RAID aray on my old motherboard so I can finally remove it from the case.

I now have a clean slate:

NrMWg7r.jpg

Next step will be removing the drive cage and motherboard tray. I looked at it briefly while taking the photos and it looks like HP got a little too creative on the LSD again so I have a feeling that removing all of the rivets will be the fastest option(and I mean all of the rivets), but I'll save that mess for another day.

And I want to clarify something to you all since I have already received 2 PM's on this, but yes a full ATX motherboard will fit in this case, no the board isn't too long. Take a look:

zcKF2pm.jpg

See, HP mATX case and a ATX motherboard. Sure the drive cage gets in the way(which will be removed), and yes the case will need a new motherboard tray(and I/O mounts), but it fits nonetheless. 

(Pretty bitchin motherboard, I had it laying around and wanted to show it off. I know @tmcclelland455 will appreciate it :P I'll use my Asus P3C-D in a retro build someday...)

-snip-

Neat. Glad you have some time for modding. Hope everything else is ok.

The "black painted" screws are usually black oxide finish on low alloy steel or CRES (Corrosion REsistant Steel - 17-7/A286/3XX) screws. Kind of like cadmium plating but more goth-y. McMaster-Carr has a ton here.

In terms of wiring, you could use CSPE super thick wiring (Belden makes some of it under their 34416 series spools...it has fat 0.045 wall thickness). The only problem is that you might have to use a modified crimp tool so that the strain relief on the contact wont squish the insulation to oblivion.

My preference is aircraft grade PTFE/XL-ETFE/Etc...the wall thickness is a few mills thick but its pretty sturdy.  

wtf is that motherboard

Asus P3C-D, its a dual slot 1(for Pentium II and III) and uses Rambus DRAM(RDRAM). It was either a server or workstation board, not sure, but I have a AGP 7300 gt and two 1Ghz PIII's that will make a killer Half Life, Doom, and RCT machine :P

Neat. Glad you have some time for modding. Hope everything else is ok.

The "black painted" screws are usually black oxide finish on low alloy steel or CRES (Corrosion REsistant Steel - 17-7/A286/3XX) screws. Kind of like cadmium plating but more goth-y. McMaster-Carr has a ton here.

In terms of wiring, you could use CSPE super thick wiring (Belden makes some of it under their 34416 series spools...it has fat 0.045 wall thickness). The only problem is that you might have to use a modified crimp tool so that the strain relief on the contact wont squish the insulation to oblivion.

My preference is aircraft grade PTFE/XL-ETFE/Etc...the wall thickness is a few mills thick but its pretty sturdy.  

Thanks for the help with the wires :) I'll definitely check out your suggestions and mess around with a bunch of stuff(lol). I might go with the low profile version of the screws you linked since they look cool(the regular ones have a unique look that fit the build, so I might get both just to see).

• 3 weeks later...
“The battle was lost but the war is not over” - MW2 voice guy

Welp, I think I've encountered my first failure with this project(first?), but honestly its not that big of a deal. My goal for the day was to do this: remove the ghetto 120mm fan mount and 5.25”/3.5” drive cage. Sadly I only removed the fan mount, and my assumption of “having to remove every rivet” was exactly true. Here we go:

9djvhSx.jpg

Here is my “before I started”: shot. Basically I removed the fan mount rivets and it came out easily, but I removed every single rivet for the drive cage, yet it was still firmly in place(GG HP). So I thought “well just cut it out”:

lZzQgiG.jpg

As you can see I cut through one of the supports, but you can see a bunch of brown stuff, like dust? Well that dust is actually from the cutting wheel, and yeah my brand new 3” wheel is now 2.5ish inches. I'm not sure what the hell this case is made of, but its tough(good grade of chromoly steel actually).

O8oDHQW.jpg

And here is a visual explanation of why the cage won't just “slide out”. Basically, the cage slides forward instead of backwards, but until you completely disassemble the case it wont come out. On the image, the red part of the tab slides under, and the blue part is an imaginary hole that allows the tab to slide out(I say its imaginary since you cant see it, but its definitely there IRL). (and don't tell me my photoshop skills suck, I just did this as a quickie)

And here is where I stand, I need to completely disassemble the case and sadly it will have to wait a couple weeks(going on a trip, ironically this case is the cause of the trip). I measured the case before I did any rivet removal, and measured it again after and discovered that the dimensions and shape are slightly different(and I imagine it will get worse when I remove all the rivets and reassemble it), so I will do proper measurements after the case is somewhat back together. I at least have the 120mm fan mount out, which will be given a new life soon.

JNxZOBt.jpg

(And if your wondering “whats with the QR code trampstap”, I have to do it now that I discovered somebody was stealing my work. I don't know why, don't care either, but the markings should put a stop to the shenanigans. I do copyright my other photography, but it doesn't really work that way for this kind of stuff, so I'll just make it a pain in the ass to take my stuff.)

“The battle was lost but the war is not over” - MW2 voice guy

Welp, I think I've encountered my first failure with this project(first?), but honestly its not that big of a deal. My goal for the day was to do this: remove the ghetto 120mm fan mount and 5.25”/3.5” drive cage. Sadly I only removed the fan mount, and my assumption of “having to remove every rivet” was exactly true. Here we go:
~~
Here is my “before I started”: shot. Basically I removed the fan mount rivets and it came out easily, but I removed every single rivet for the drive cage, yet it was still firmly in place(GG HP). So I thought “well just cut it out”:
~~
As you can see I cut through one of the supports, but you can see a bunch of brown stuff, like dust? Well that dust is actually from the cutting wheel, and yeah my brand new 3” wheel is now 2.5ish inches. I'm not sure what the hell this case is made of, but its tough(good grade of chromoly steel actually).

~~
And here is a visual explanation of why the cage won't just “slide out”. Basically, the cage slides forward instead of backwards, but until you completely disassemble the case it wont come out. On the image, the red part of the tab slides under, and the blue part is an imaginary hole that allows the tab to slide out(I say its imaginary since you cant see it, but its definitely there IRL). (and don't tell me my photoshop skills suck, I just did this as a quickie)

And here is where I stand, I need to completely disassemble the case and sadly it will have to wait a couple weeks(going on a trip, ironically this case is the cause of the trip). I measured the case before I did any rivet removal, and measured it again after and discovered that the dimensions and shape are slightly different(and I imagine it will get worse when I remove all the rivets and reassemble it), so I will do proper measurements after the case is somewhat back together. I at least have the 120mm fan mount out, which will be given a new life soon.
~~

(And if your wondering “whats with the QR code trampstap”, I have to do it now that I discovered somebody was stealing my work. I don't know why, don't care either, but the markings should put a stop to the shenanigans. I do copyright my other photography, but it doesn't really work that way for this kind of stuff, so I'll just make it a pain in the ass to take my stuff.)

7458ecfde603205a4a76ad3e65534d84.gif

:P

Yay for update!

As for the QR code.. really? Of all the computers on the internet to claim as your own.... you choose this one? :P jk. :D Just goes to show that everyone loves Plan B ;)

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Yay for update!

As for the QR code.. really? Of all the computers on the internet to claim as your own.... you choose this one? :P jk. :D Just goes to show that everyone loves Plan B ;)

I think it has been 84 years lol

Lol link to the fake if you still have it pls?

All links that I know of have been removed, and the person has been asked politely not to post my stuff. 

This case is getting drilled more than a cheap hooker. :D You will get there eventually. :) Sucks about the picture stealing.

Lol, eventually you will have to make a joke about it getting more wood than (insert here). 

Lol, eventually you will have to make a joke about it getting more wood than (insert here). 

Wood ? Is this a spoiler of future plans ? :) 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler