MediaTek To License AMD Graphics

Opcode

Source

One of the hottest things we learned at the Mobile World Congress is that MediaTek is working with AMD on mobile SoC graphics.

This is a big deal for both companies, as this means that AMD is getting back into the ultra-low power graphics market, while MediaTek might finally get faster graphics and gain more appeal in the high end segment. The choice of ARM Mali or Imaginations Technologies GPUs is available for anyone, but as most of you know Qualcomm has its own in-house Adreno graphics, while Nvidia uses ultra-low power Maxwell GPUs for its latest SoCs.

Since Nvidia exited the mobile phone business, it is now a two horse race between the ever dominant Qualcomm and fast growing MediaTek. The fact that MediaTek will get AMD graphics just adds fuel to the fire.

144360-Ron-Paul-its-happening-gif-img-BY

I personally would like to see AMD get into the phone/tablet x86 market real soon. I would be beyond happy with 10.1" tablet rocking a quad core Puma+ with 4 compute units.

MediaTek has the CPU side of their SoCs down. The GPU side? Eeehhhh, not so much, kind of, but not as well as Qualcomm. Since MediaTek is adopting AMD technology into their future SoCs, hopefully this means that we'll be seeing more powerful graphics power from MediaTek!

COMIC SANS

I want ALL the Compute!!!!

Phone with GCN :)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

More competition always (at least in most markets) good.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Awesomesauce.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

This is nice. :) I like MediaTek except for their Graphics. 

ironically, Adreno graphics tech was acquired by Qualcomm from AMD a while ago.  Adreno is a anagram for Radeon. 

You beat me to it :DxD

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Oh damn.

Now the only thing Qualcomm has to do is partner with Nvidia haha

Doubt it, especially after the patent suit Nvidia filed against Samsung and Qualcomm.
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

ironically, Adreno graphics tech was acquired by Qualcomm from AMD a while ago.  Adreno is a anagram for Radeon.

Wow, never noticed that.

That's awesome.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

Oh damn.

Adreno is based on the Imageon graphics that ATI developed (Qualcomm bought it).

@zappian gotta see this.... i think mediatek has a point...what happend to intel btw ??? they have layed low for a while now since bay trail

What about the Dell Venue 8 7000?
Linus Sebastian said:

@zappian gotta see this.... i think mediatek has a point...what happend to intel btw ??? they have layed low for a while now since bay trail

Click me.

Now if only AMD would let Intel license a few more important things than the pipeline design for its own iGPU architecture... But that would be greedy of me. AMD needs some sort of edge to look competitive against Intel, and I guess iGPU is it. If Zen brings them to performance parity with Sandy Bridge or later per core, then that edge will become more meaningful.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

even im not a huge fan of the mediatek chipsets even with thier 8 core a7 cores...
but

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

Happy to see AMD gets more contracts rolling. They've been struggling long enough now

Seems like if they are able to make powerful graphics solutions onto the SoC, the market might be flooded with inexpensive, but hopefully amazing performance.

MediaTek is all over the place in the tablet/phone industry and is seen on BLU/Unlocked phones. Having AMD handle graphics may lead into cheaply priced devices with amazing performance.

Oh damn.

Which will more than likely never happen.

:P

As a side note, in the markets where Qualcomm is king, MediaTek isn't really a thing. So I don't think they'll have much to worry about. Although the same goes for MediaTek in the markets where they are dominant.

COMIC SANS

Ohh this could be very good. If AMD's GPU manages to be more efficient and powerful than what ARM has to offer, then the next MediaTek chip could be a beast (MediaTek has demoed Cortex A72 chips as well).

Seems like if they are able to make powerful graphics solutions onto the SoC, the market might be flooded with inexpensive, but hopefully amazing performance.

MediaTek is all over the place in the tablet/phone industry and is seen on BLU/Unlocked phones. Having AMD handle graphics may lead into cheaply priced devices with amazing performance.

Indeed MediaTek already holds quite a large portion when it comes to market share. Which would undoubtedly grow as they begin to offer SoC's powered by AMD graphics IP.

SOC01.jpg

Which in turn is a win/win for both companies. Lisa Su said they would target revenue in markets they normally don't peruse (this could be one).

Do you like smartphones? Do you like hand warmers? Then you'll like the new HTC One M10! Equipped with the state of the art AMD Heating Device (HD)9560, it will bring the warmth to both your hands and heart. Available now for just $950.

amd ceo Lisa Su focusing more and more on mobile stuff.sad time for amd fans and pc users

the funny thing is that amd sold Adreno to qualcomm just before smartphones and tablets explosion. yeah,not the most inspired move lol.Adreno is anagram for Radeon

e:already told didnt see it  :mellow:

Edited by s3ns3

Do you like smartphones? Do you like hand warmers? Then you'll like the new HTC One M10! Equipped with the state of the art AMD Heating Device (HD)9560, it will bring the warmth to both your hands and heart. Available now for just $950.

Heat has never been an issue with any GCN based GPU ever released (even Hawaii). MediaTek is focusing on compute throughput by bringing HSA to their next line of SoC's. Adding in the superb compute performance of GCN to replace Mali will be a heavy hitter for HSA on mobile devices. Better performance with far less power consumption.

amd ceo Lisa Su focusing more and more on mobile stuff.sad time for amd fans and pc users

How do you figure? R300 series is rumored to be an entire new lineup of cards (coming soon) and Zen is rearing its face 2H 2016. Carrizo is a huge step forward in the laptop market space and now they are getting their graphics IP used in tablets/cell phones. This is good news for AMD users of any kind as this will bring in revenue to help the company finance their current and future projects. AMD supposedly has a x86 mobile architecture in the pipes for cell phones/tablets as well. What it boils down to at the end of the day is making money. Something AMD needs and the more they have the better for us (R&D).