Oracle Now Bundling Ask.com Adware With Java for Mac

java-app-chrome.png

To continue the trend of scummy behaviour by a software provider, Oracle is now defaulting to the "opt out" approach of installing adware instead of the "opt in" that many people are probably used to.

I'm not in favour of subversively pushing content like this at all. Rarely doesn't it make sense. This is effectively praying on a more casual user not noticing and seeing what you get away with. Not cool Oracle, not cool.  

The unwelcome Ask extension shows up as part of the installer if a Mac user downloads Java 8 Update 40 for the Mac. In my tests on a Mac running that latest release of OS X, the installer added an app to the current browser, Chrome version 41. (In a separate test, I installed Java using the latest version of Safari, where it behaved in a similar fashion.)

The Java installer selects the option to install the Ask extension by default, which means that users casually clicking through the dialogue boxes would find the extension installed and enabled on their browser of choice. Oracle has also updated its installation instructions for Mac to account for the change. 

As noted by ZDNet, Ask.com typically provides low-quality search results and numerous ads with little distinction between ads and organic results. Ask.com parent company IAC pays a commission to Oracle and other companies that bundle the Ask extension with its products.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/05/ask-adware-java-mac/

Oh Christ, it's already bad enough, isn't it?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Do they want us to kill java?

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Hey Oracle,  ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Stop bundling toolbars and stuff with Java 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Not as bad as McAfee with Adobe Flash Updates, but still scummy. If only Oracle had something they could market that was considered industry standard, like database software or something that outperformed the competition and they could charge lots of money for... oh well.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Viva la Linux Revolution...!?!?!?

^this.

Trying to figure out if I can make the switch over now, and have my stuff remain compatible with my online school work.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Office 365 in your browser is a good enough way to access Microsoft Office if you need that. Everything else should be fine. I recommend Ubuntu as well,

Well, I still want to game, and I need to be able to run things like Xen Desktop, etc. I do have office 365. I'm just wondering what functions I would lose by switching over.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Good thing I don't use Java for anything. But didn't always have something that came it?