How CPU intensive is Battlefield?

binman13

Hello fellow Linus-fans!

I thought I might ask a question as commanded by our lord and saviour Linus himself.

I have got 2 GTX 660s in SLI and on 64 player BF3 servers my 3570k (4.6 Ghz) is 100% constant while my GPUs are at around 70%.

Is this normal? I would have thought a game like BF3 to be much more GPU intensive.

Any responses would be great :)

Something is wrong BF3 is not that cpu intensive. My cpu is around 60-75%. That's at 3.3ghz. Don't know if hyperthreading makes a difference in this game but you shouldn't be at 100% usage.

Windowed mode and task manager would be your best bet see what's going on.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Its normal, especially when 64players online. The CPU has to render them out.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Apparently HT makes a difference.

I am playing on Ultra if that changes anything

I'd check right now but I can't access the BF3 page. I hate how they have a internet browser to play the game.

I can post a screen shot once I get on of a 64 player match.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Well, thanks, I'm wondering if I should sell my 3570k and get a 3770k seeing as a lot of games should support the 8 logical cores.

Well, thanks, I'm wondering if I should sell my 3570k and get a 3770k seeing as a lot of games should support the 8 logical cores.

No, you are fine.

I can't even access battle log but it is up. I don't like this setup.

What monitor are you using?You have vsync on?

Here you go. Hope you can see it photo seems a little bit of the lower quality. EVGA precision doesn't seem to be that good apparently.

The #'s below EVGA precision are the CPU usages. First 4 numbers are each core and the last number is total cpu usage. Setting are everything max except AA off.

http://i.imgur.com/bhASNSd.jpg

67%, 58%, 58%, 66%, Overall- 58%

Highest I saw recorded was 69% usage.

53fps with 79% gpu usage with max clock speed of 1045mhz

SLI normally won't kick your usage to the roof... Only if it's perfectly optimized... I don't think you need to worry about the GPU to 70% maybe you're using old drivers? Might help...

Also, don't worry about the hyper threading. Your 3570k can handle things just fine... Battlefield is one of the only titles that can actually benefit from more than 4 cores or 4 cores with hyper threading... And if there is, the difference will be small so if you plan to spend extra $150 (selling the 3570k and buying a 3770k) your FPS is going to be almost the same... And if you feel like spending more money on your PC. You should just put it on the GPU side... That would give you a much higher performance per $. But I don't know how much you can get for a used 660... Because 700 series is out...

I say you should be getting really nice framerates with this machine? Am I right?

He is prolly running at 60hz with vsync on...GPU will only run as hard as it needs to for 60fps..

The problem is I get 60 FPS but due to the CPU being at 100% load it sometimes drop a couple of FPS and then my frametime explodes to like 80.

My q6600 is overclocked to 3.4Ghz and I struggle to get more than 40 fps on 64 man servers :(

My q6600 is overclocked to 3.4Ghz and I struggle to get more than 40 fps on 64 man servers :(

Q6600 with stock and 55 avg on 64 servers. All low :) Now it has started to take bit lag spikes thought.

BF3 is more heavy on CPU than GPU. Mine is constantly at 97% usage when ingame.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Q6600 with stock and 55 avg on 64 servers. All low :) Now it has started to take bit lag spikes thought.

BF3 is more heavy on CPU than GPU. Mine is constantly at 97% usage when ingame.

Are you serious? I have everything on high apart from effects which is very cpu heavy (I think)

Are you serious? I have everything on high apart from effects which is very cpu heavy (I think)

Mobo doesn't really let me do oc... Besides low gfx are sometimes better. I don't have effect on high grass.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv